Sign in to follow this  
stepover12

Remove high-tech tactical devices

im pretty sure if there was a zombie apocalypse i could still find a gps and if i went to a military base (and i have on in my area) i would find caches of weapons and other high tech things. just saying zombies wouldst just make all that stuff disappear into mid air

i dont think you know how GPS works. who is taking care of the sats, the towers they run on, and where you gonna get the power rocks that make it work. same thing with the thermal scopes and the NVG. people wouldnt be taking care of the things that make these things work. they would be there, but useless.

i might have a good idea considering i listen to and read the interviews. from rockets own mouth he wants a survival horror game. these items remove the horror

considering the landscape that has been chosen, (broken down everything with no power) lots of the items in question would either not work anymore or be so rare most people in the game wouldnt have working ones.... let alone the ammo we get seems to fall from the damn sky and who keeps refilling all the fuel tanks....

for reference on any of this see...

The Road

The Walking Dead

Dawn of the Dead (original)

Night of the Living Dead

The Book of Eli

Mad Max

The Postman

and the new show being made "revolution"

ok

1. its a video game you need to stop the realism at some point

2. yes ammo should be more rare

3. they dont search military bases in those if zombies took over the USA you dont think there would be dead soldiers with m4s or 50 cals or dmrs? or that everything at a military base would just disappear...nightvision and thermal can be bought online and in stores they arent just military..also in the season 3 trailer of walking dead rick has an silenced pistol it looks like and i remember seeing military guns in it too

if you want all that go into your basement and make some virus to start a zombie apocalypse this is the best zombie game ive played, its not some zombie cod shit like l4d.

i agree about the thermal scopes, as they make things way to easy, and would be fucking hard to just find one in a post apocalyptic world, especially one such as chernarus. as for night vision goggles and rangefinders, i think they should be kept in as they are not actually THAT high tec. and also they dont give people a ridiculous advantage like the thermals do.

• Like 1

@Rob1: yea and in reality there wouldn't be any zombies. also hospitals would be filled with morphine and antibiotics. you would be able to drink from a lake without a bottle. morphine wouldn't fix a broken leg. you wouldn't be able to run all the time. you wouldn't get hungry/thirsty that fast. you would have to sleep, pee and poo.

i could go on like this but i think you get the point.

this is a game and it already is balanced in a certain way. all that is being suggested here is changing the balance.

Rocket has actually been talking about adding in generators to create power.

This would fix the issue most of you are talking about with power.

He's also been talking about making the game more tech based, in a way, by allowing the addition of (primitive) security systems.

I do agree with rob though. Thermal scopes, night vision, etc. wouldn't just disappear after the zombie apocalypse; sure they would be harder to find due to others grabbing them first, but that's exactly how it is currently.

ok

1. its a video game you need to stop the realism at some point

2. yes ammo should be more rare

3. they dont search military bases in those if zombies took over the USA you dont think there would be dead soldiers with m4s or 50 cals or dmrs? or that everything at a military base would just disappear...nightvision and thermal can be bought online and in stores they arent just military..also in the season 3 trailer of walking dead rick has an silenced pistol it looks like and i remember seeing military guns in it too

if you want all that go into your basement and make some virus to start a zombie apocalypse this is the best zombie game ive played, its not some zombie cod shit like l4d.

we suspend our disbelieve at zombies. the problem is Rocket is going out of his way to create something as close to real as possible. thats why he chose the arma games go do this with and not CoD or Battlefield.

and no, the military wouldnt let this stuff happen. you wouldnt see the military just fall apart in a real zombie outbreak because they would kill them all. my military knowledge doesnt come from CoD, it comes from the Military.

Edited by Dimes123

Rocket has actually been talking about adding in generators to create power.

This would fix the issue most of you are talking about with power.

He's also been talking about making the game more tech based, in a way, by allowing the addition of (primitive) security systems.

I do agree with rob though. Thermal scopes, night vision, etc. wouldn't just disappear after the zombie apocalypse; sure they would be harder to find due to others grabbing them first, but that's exactly how it is currently.

if he is gonna do that then it better be REALLY hard to do and put together. the average person cant set that up or fix that stuff.

if he is gonna do that then it better be REALLY hard to do and put together. the average person cant set that up or fix that stuff.

He planned on making it more of an endgame thing, but you say that the average person can't set that up.

Which part?

Generators are easy, only need a couple of wires or alligator clamps to charge a battery

Security systems are easy to do. Beartraps are already implimented, tripwires are require little to know skill/intellect, hell you could even use tin cans to create sound. If this were actually to happen, I'd probably use zombies as a security system of sorts; have them in their own sealed off section that gets opened up when someone trips a wire(a rope, some wood, a metal rod, and some springs will give you a door-pivot release.)

So where are you having troubles believing an average person can't set something like this up?

GPS might want to go too. how many sats gonna still be up after the end... and whos communicating with them anyway to keep them going.

Aliens.

Moving on, I think that thermal, rangefinders, and extreme sniper rifles are pushing it. Night vision goggles and a GPS should be the limit as far as nifty gadgets go. The GPS is mostly just a luxury item, and the night vision goggles can be countered if you've got a smart opponent (then again, so can pretty much anything in the game).

keep the nvgs and rangefinder but remove the thermal scope, there is no way around it and it makes the game to easy for those who have it

while it is very rare, people still manage to dupe it and its leads to total unbalance.

GPS shouldnt work in the setting Rocket has given us. no towers would operational, not sats would be communicating with the ground because the ground stations wouldnt work anymore.

and night vision needs batteries... try to make one that would cause the NVG to work

we suspend our disbelieve at zombies. the problem is Rocket is going out of his way to create something as close to real as possible. thats why he chose the arma games go do this with and not CoD or Battlefield.

and no, the military wouldnt let this stuff happen. you wouldnt see the military just fall apart in a real zombie outbreak because they would kill them all. my military knowledge doesnt come from CoD, it comes from the Military.

yeah no shit and military experience from cod is one soldier would take care of the outbreak just fyi so either way it would be taken care of..im more then aware we would have it covered but if it DID happen military shit would be there and yeah it would be rare from other people looting first.

and also

yeah no shit and military experience from cod is one soldier would take care of the outbreak just fyi so either way it would be taken care of..im more then aware we would have it covered but if it DID happen military shit would be there and yeah it would be rare from other people looting first.

it also wouldnt work very long from not having the means to create batteries

EDIT: with your logic we should have tanks too.

Edited by Dimes123

People seem to like too much commodities. "i want to play a survival game with my GPS, Nightvision, Thermal scopes aboard a hellicopter"

What if we get a common map and have to find our position and route by ourselves for a start?

What if we keep it a survival game?

I know that kind of stuff exists but that doesn't mean it is readily available everywhere. Making it unavailable in-game doesn't break the realism, it just mean it isn't available in the zone for any reason. Maye there s not that heavy of a military pressence.

People seem to like too much commodities. "i want to play a survival game with my GPS, Nightvision, Thermal scopes aboard a hellicopter"

What if we get a common map and have to find our position and route by ourselves for a start?

What if we keep it a survival game?

I know that kind of stuff exists but that doesn't mean it is readily available everywhere. Making it unavailable in-game doesn't break the realism, it just mean it isn't available in the zone for any reason. Maye there s not that heavy of a military pressence.

the military has giant lasers too, i want my lasers.

Aliens.

Moving on, I think that thermal, rangefinders, and extreme sniper rifles are pushing it. Night vision goggles and a GPS should be the limit as far as nifty gadgets go. The GPS is mostly just a luxury item, and the night vision goggles can be countered if you've got a smart opponent (then again, so can pretty much anything in the game).

and also

it also wouldnt work very long from not having the means to create batteries

EDIT: with your logic we should have tanks too.

i wouldnt have a problem with that id still play the game fine and not come on the forums and bitch about removing them what would the odds be that every tank the US or any army has would all be destroyed (or any armored vehicles if they dont have tanks)

what if rocket added in the desc the nvg are solar powered and charge during the day would you still bitch?

I wouldn't mind having less high tech gear either, but given that helos are back I don't think arguing realism, and the skills of the average person is going to help.

I've never used a thermal scope in real life but I'm pretty sure if someone handed me one I could figure out how to make it work. I guarantee you though that there is no way I could get a helo off the ground without killing myself. In DayZ all I need to do is find a couple of spare parts, fuel it up, and I'm ready to go.

I cant say anything is hard to find in this game. I've got more than 10 NVG, rangefinder and GPS. I have a plethora of guns (3 or 4 thermal as50, cant remember how many)...

Rarity doesn't mean anything in this game.

I'd be happy to see all of that gear go. I don't want NVG or a thermal sniper rifle. GPS is nice to own but I don't like it either.

GPS would become useless in a month since the satellites would get out of sync and the GPS would give you false location information. If just one satellite is out of sync your GPS could be hundreds of meters off.

I wouldn't mind if all sniper rifles would go too. I have plenty of them but I never use them since going into combat with one is so f**king boring.

All this tech stuff makes the game not focus on zombies which it should focus on.

The people who are against losing this gear probably do so because if those items were removed from the game they'd see nothing else to do in the game, which is partly true. Zombies aren't that much of a threat and the game lacks endgame content.

Edited by zamp

I cant say anything is hard to find in this game. I've got more than 10 NVG, rangefinder and GPS. I have a plethora of guns (3 or 4 thermal as50, cant remember how many)...

Rarity doesn't mean anything in this game.

I'd be happy to see all of that gear go. I don't want NVG or a thermal sniper rifle. GPS is nice to own but I don't like it either.

GPS would become useless in a month since the satellites would get out of sync and the GPS would give you false location information. If just one satellite is out of sync your GPS could be hundreds of meters off.

I wouldn't mind if all sniper rifles would go too. I have plenty of them but I never use them since going into combat with one is so f**king boring.

All this tech stuff makes the game not focus on zombies which it should focus on.

The people who are against losing this gear probably do so because if those items were removed from the game they'd see nothing else to do in the game, which is partly true. Zombies aren't that much of a threat and the game lacks endgame content.

there isnt a thermal sniper rifle in the game either youre hacking or found a hacked gun

there isnt a thermal sniper rifle in the game either youre hacking or found a hacked gun

Sounds to me like he's been scavenging from hackers.

They should stay. Your items should reflect your investment in the game. This game is about survival not balance

• Like 1

Hello,

The following high-tech devices should be removed from the game: thermal scopes, range finder, night vision goggles.

Why? There are two reasons:

- This game takes place in a post-apocalyptic world, modern warfare devices are just out of place here. Things should be improvised and manual. It's a survival game, not a high-tech warfare game.

- The game should be skill-dependent instead of gear-dependent: learn to range find using mil dots, train your eyes for target detection instead of having thermal scope do it for you. Thermal scope in particular makes a stealthy stalk near impossible: no matter how well camouflaged and how patiently you sneak, one thermal scan reveals everything. I think this item in particular takes away a lot from the game.

Feel free to comment or add to the suggestions.

So..a range finder is high tec? (LOL) It's not more complicated than a sniper rifle. Just because its post-apocalyptic world doesn't mean there's no electronics left, thats basically your logic. Now that electronic is going to regenerate cause its a game, thats the only difference, as in a real post-apocalyptic world it would not spawn, if someone takes it from a place its gone, zap, vanish, poof! But just cause of that its not worth removing since that would take away realism from the game.

But hey give us all baseball bats and crickets and its all realistic.

You saying that the game should be "skill-dependent" shows that you have no idea what you are talking about so I'm not gonna continue babbling about the rest.

Edited by n4zRuDiN

very good idea! i totally agree. and people giving another of those bad ass speeches defending those high tech toys is just contradictive. you should just ignore people like Vertisce. he doesn't really have anything to say.

Sounds to me like you need to shut your face and grow a set.

the problem here is not realism it's about balance and making gameplay and especially PvP more intresting.

This whole mod revolves around realism, aside from the fact that it has zombies in it. ArmA is all about realism and this mod is built on ArmA. It is a zombie survival simulator, not a PvP deathmatch simulator.

one reason for the high number of those items are the hackers who destroy the balance created by the spawn probabilities. when dayz started NVGs were actually really rare.

NVG's aren't rare at all. Find them all the time on chopper crashes. The issue isn't entirely hackers. You should know what you are talking about before you just blame everything on hackers.

in my opinion military weapons should be very rare and the ammo for them even more. that would maybe even stimulate trade a little bit.

Why? Why would military weapons be rare on an island covered in military bases? Magic maybe? What trade? You mean the trade involved when I shoot you in the face and loot your body of the worthless crap you have?

List of post apocalyptic shows...lol

The Walking Dead...read the comics...or are you just basing your knowledge off the first two seasons of the show? That's what I thought...

Original Dawn of the Dead was made when? Exactly...

The Postman...I guess you just didn't notice all those military grade weapons the bad guys were toting around eh? Not to mention that one takes place decades after the war. Bad example. The same goes for Mad Max and I think Book of Eli...can't remember. Very bad examples either way.

Edited by Vertisce

i agree some things just don't make any sense, for example, a gps with no working satellites?

You saying that the game should be "skill-dependent" shows that you have no idea what you are talking about so I'm not gonna continue babbling about the rest.

And why did it show I have no idea what I was talking about? Since you spoke about logic, try to explain yourself instead of using Ad hominem.