Sign in to follow this  
outpox

Night too dark ?

Hey,

I'm having an issue at night :

1343605653-arma2oa-2012-07-30-01-41-29-85.jpg

As you can see I can't see anything, I changed HDR, luminosity and gamma but it's not helpfull.

Any idea ?

Edited by Outpox

As a matter of fact, your idea of changing gamma, HDR, brightness etc. was a popular one. So they patched it right out of ArmA. The only thing that works is using flares, chemlights, a flashlight, or NVG's.

Some servers seem to have tweaked their darkness setting - so on some servers night will be much darker than on others.

Some servers seem to have tweaked their darkness setting - so on some servers night will be much darker than on others.

there is no "darkness setting" they cant tweak or anything its just moonlight. sometimes you have open skies and moonlight thats all.

My friends don't have such a dark night, and we are on the same server :/

My friends don't have such a dark night, and we are on the same server :/

Yep... can be standing right next to each other and they see the darkness darker than it should be. Sometimes it is darker for me than them. I believe it is probably a sync issue with the moon or something. They don't have one, or can't see it, while I'll see a moon in the sky. The moon will also leave shadows... The shadow is how dark it actually is without the moon. The full moon should be all the time at night, makes the atmosphere much better, plus it is not worth playing when pitch black.

there is no "darkness setting" they cant tweak or anything its just moonlight. sometimes you have open skies and moonlight thats all.

Wrong. Some servers are brighter than others and has nothing to do with the moon. So there IS a setting they can change. Don't reply to things claiming to know when clearly you don't! FFS

Ok, because I'm a nice guy I will give you a little tip to help have a little more visibility at night.

Turn your HDR precision to high or very high, turn gamma up. You will now see much more than before

Get a G17. I think that's what it's called. Handgun with a flash light on it. ;)

Correct. Glock 17 or G17. My second fav pistol after the M1911. It's really not as bad a pistol as people make out.

• Like 1

tick off your server's snipers by launching road flares into the sky

• Like 1

Ok, because I'm a nice guy I will give you a little tip to help have a little more visibility at night.

Turn your HDR precision to high or very high, turn gamma up. You will now see much more than before

As you can see I can't see anything, I changed HDR, luminosity and gamma but it's not helpfull.

You should use your brain too, it could be usefull for better reading.

And I googled this and I searched on the forum.

Nothing wrong in that screenshot, everything looks normal. That's how the game is and I don't think you can tweak it, which is fair for everyone. I love it, get used to it and use flashlight, chemlights and flares which are common to find.

Edited by ZombieMaster

I wish some people would play Arma2 and OA before playing Dayz. Complaining about "darkness" and other meaningless shit that has been in the game from the start just seems like a waste of time and petty.

You should use your brain too, it could be usefull for better reading.

And I googled this and I searched on the forum.

I use it more than most it would seem. If you had researched it wouldn't have taken you long. It took me about 5 minutes to find out info on this subject. If I can do it, so can you. Of course unless that is your brain is restricting you from using search tools efficiently.

Furthermore, did you even test above setting changes to see if it makes a difference? On multiple servers? I did, hence why I can say with surety that gamma and night settings are server dependant.

What was that you said about using your brain? Useful has only one l btw. So I agree, and I'd like to add, using your brain results in better spelling :) Sorry but you asked for that one.

Edited by Irenicus

I use it more than most it would seem. If you had researched it wouldn't have taken you long. It took me about 5 minutes to find out info on this subject. If I can do it, so can you. Of course unless that is your brain is restricting you from using search tools efficiently.

Furthermore, did you even test above setting changes to see if it makes a difference? On multiple servers? I did, hence why I can say with surety that gamma and night settings are server dependant.

What was that you said about using your brain? Useful has only one l btw. So I agree, and I'd like to add, using your brain results in better spelling Sorry but you asked for that one.

Gamma isnt server side...and moonlight is about the weather. We can control the time, but not weather. Weather is what determines how well the moon shines through. Also the ArmA engine was designed purely with nvgs in mind, ie lots of extreme darkness. ArmA 3 will have more well moon lit nights.

• Like 1

Gamma isnt server side...and moonlight is about the weather. We can control the time, but not weather. Weather is what determines how well the moon shines through. Also the ArmA engine was designed purely with nvgs in mind, ie lots of extreme darkness. ArmA 3 will have more well moon lit nights.

So why do some servers have PITCH BLACK nights and others don't, regardless of the moon. Just the weather? I guess you could be right, excuse my being skeptical.

PS Sorry my previous post sounded so harsh, I feel ashamed when I read it back to myself, must have been in a bad mood that day lol

Edited by Irenicus

So why do some servers have PITCH BLACK nights and others don't, regardless of the moon. Just the weather? I guess you could be right, excuse my being skeptical.

PS Sorry my previous post sounded so harsh, I feel ashamed when I read it back to myself, must have been in a bad mood that day lol

I don't know, thats just what i think it is switching from server to server. You could be right to. And no problem, sorry if i sounded a bit harsh aswell.

I still don't understand... I've been playing this game for nearly 2 months but occasionally a server I will go on will in the space of 5 minutes go from newspaper black and white to solid black white like the background on this forum.

Like this... http://s10.postimage...2_19_06_062.jpg

For a game that is trying to be all it about realism, its not very realistic to be that dark... especially if I look up to the sky the clouds are reflecting quite a lot of light. Yet after 5-10 minutes my characters eyes can't pick up any of the reflected light. For those who go "LOLOLOL NOT REALISTIC?" Go out to the lake district or whatever on a night time, sit in a secluded spot for 10 minutes until your eyes gradually adjust to the light levels... begin to walk around, you'll be ok but its hard. In DayZ you have a solid black outline for everything and then a bright sky?

Whilst talking to other clan members I found that only a handful on the server at the same time were suffering from my the same problem... thus it doesn't seem to be a problem everyone has at the same time.

Edited by Mastiff

I agree with Mastiff, it's not that players want it to be daylight at night time, they simply want the same form of realism that the rest of the game offers. This game is barely at the beginning of it's life so we have forgiven the little things, like dead soldiers/barbed wire glitch and that you can't use everyday items as weapons and a whole list of other tiny things that bug us but don't really deter us from enjoying this amazing game.

What does annoy me however is that the night wasn't this dark less than a week ago. It was still harder to see than daytime and harder to navigate but still enjoyable because you could get things done without having to crawl around everywhere because the moment you stood up zombies were on you before you could yell "Damn it, I meant Z not C!". I would just like to see it changed to what it was before because honestly, it was realistic.

I don't know, thats just what i think it is switching from server to server. You could be right to. And no problem, sorry if i sounded a bit harsh aswell.

I did some systematic testing on servers running the same time, in the same location, moon in exact same spot etc and there are MASSIVE differences between servers, some are pitch black, some are sort of realistic being not totally pitch black, then others are just so bright you don't even need night vision goggles. I have read a lot of skepticism regarding this with some people saying servers cannot change brightness but that is clearly a false assumption or a myth perpetuated by a few.

There are other things that are set server side like loot dropping in water, distance rendering etc etc, and again and again I read posts from people claiming this isnt true or people writing guides saying "set your view distance to this or that" when it makes no difference in the game/mod. So my advice is to test things yourself and never believe what anyone says. I mean why would you believe what I am saying when you can prove it for yourself? I urge everyone to prove/disprove these theories for themselves, but I assure you i have no reason to come on the forums and post stuff just for the hell of it, as I try to contribute to the community in any way I can, by passing on these discoveries and helping people with issues. I don't care if you give me beanz or not, it means nothing to me, I just want to be an active DayZ'er is all :)

Cheers