[PSA: Server Admins] How to Optimize your DayZ Server for MAXIMUM Performance.

i guess its common that ppl are running mysql/php etc on a server

so i guess you have no idea about what could cause this problem

btw sql doesnt record any errors, and even if i try to localy connect to sql by "mysql -u user -p" i dont get any feedback

Guest Dwarden

i sometimes wonder if authors of these 'guides' read our own documentation available e.g. on BIKI or else

typical case of point, -maxmem= maximum is 2047 http://community.bis...ers#Performance

yes we do support with LAA to address directly 4GB on 64bit OS, but that's engine decision, the -maxmem= tells engine to adjust it's memory handling but it has it's own portion which you can't adjust

for server there are many other usable swtiches like

-pid=filename

-nosound

the rule about exThreads 0 or 1 is all what's needed is true as there is no rendering on dedicated client console :)

Edited by Dwarden
  • Like 1

This guide is wonderful. I'll be testing it under a full server later tonight. I can say that right now (with about ten people) the server loads about 10 times faster. Thanks!

ok this change fuckes mysql up, everything else works fine

TCP Window Auto-Tuning should be on 'experimental'.

ok this change fuckes mysql up, everything else works fine

TCP Window Auto-Tuning should be on 'experimental'.

Interesting. I'll make a note in the guide, I only run DayZ on my dedis; they don't double are web hosts or anything that uses MySQL DBs >->!

DayZ does indeed use TCP... use a network monitor; why do you think you need to open TCP ports for the game to work?

It uses TCP to communicate to the Hive seeing as that is MySQL.

i sometimes wonder if authors of these 'guides' read our own documentation available e.g. on BIKI or else

typical case of point, -maxmem= maximum is 2047 http://community.bis...ers#Performance

yes we do support with LAA to address directly 4GB on 64bit OS, but that's engine decision, the -maxmem= tells engine to adjust it's memory handling but it has it's own portion which you can't adjust

for server there are many other usable swtiches like

-pid=filename

-nosound

the rule about exThreads 0 or 1 is all what's needed is true as there is no rendering on dedicated client console :)

Oh goodness me. The problem is there is no central "guide" for ARMA lol, all the sites say something different! Thanks for the information, editing guide. At least it defaults back lol.

It uses TCP to communicate to the Hive seeing as that is MySQL.

Yea I know; I made it more clear as to the reasoning for fine tuning TCP in the guide ^^.

Edited by Guest

im kinda confused about the;

MinBandwidth=

MaxBandwidth=

values..

Lets say i want to host for 28 people on a 100Mbit connection.

The values i keep ending up with is;

MinBandwidth=58720256

MaxBandwidth=117440512

Those values are in bit, but 117440512 bits (28*512KB) are kinda much dont you think?

Why 512KB per player when u said earlier "Most players normally use 5-13kb"

Sure give them some overhead, but why that much higher?

im kinda confused about the;

MinBandwidth=

MaxBandwidth=

values..

Lets say i want to host for 28 people on a 100Mbit connection.

The values i keep ending up with is;

MinBandwidth=58720256

MaxBandwidth=117440512

Those values are in bit, but 117440512 bits (28*512KB) are kinda much dont you think?

Why 512KB per player when u said earlier "Most players normally use 5-13kb"

Sure give them some overhead, but why that much higher?

Because some events like player joining / leaving spike MUCH higher than 5-13kb. 256kb / 512kb are the recommended values by the ARMA2 dev. team.

I run 2 40 man servers on a 100mbit connection. This is my arma2.cfg from this guide.

MinBandwidth=102400000;

MaxBandwidth=104857600;

MaxMsgSend=92;

MaxSizeGuaranteed=128;

MaxSizeNonguaranteed=64;

MinErrorToSendNear=0.029999997;

MinErrorToSend=0.0019999994;

MaxCustomFileSize=0;

Windowed=0;

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=1;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

class sockets{maxPacketSize=2048;};

I run 2 40 man servers on a 100mbit connection. This is my arma2.cfg from this guide.

MinBandwidth=102400000;

MaxBandwidth=104857600;

MaxMsgSend=92;

MaxSizeGuaranteed=128;

MaxSizeNonguaranteed=64;

MinErrorToSendNear=0.029999997;

MinErrorToSend=0.0019999994;

MaxCustomFileSize=0;

Windowed=0;

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=1;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

class sockets{maxPacketSize=2048;};

If you're running both on the same box, I would put MaxBandwidth on both to 20480000 (40 * 512KB). I only set it to my network port if I'm running 1 server, otherwise it's wasted overhead.

Edited by Guest

-bump- Come on everyone, fix your servers up so we have more lagless servers to pick from ^^.

damn. I have got to get rid of the one I am renting and do this!

Yea man, make the upgrade to dedicated :).

This is amazing. can a mod or someone please sticky this, absolutely amazing thread.

That's what I'm shooting for ^.^

-bump- Come on all, optimize your servers today ^.^.

Your MinBandwidth should be your player slots x 256KB, so for example:

75 slots X 256KB = 19200KB

15360KB = 192000000 Bits

Although it's said that your MaxBandwidth should be slots x 512KB, I think that's bullshit for dedicated machines only running 1 server. I set my max bandwidth to my network speed in bits. (1GBps)

MinBandwidth=192000000;

MaxBandwidth=1073741824;

First of all, thanks for posting this guide - there are many an admin who desperately need to read it :)

I'd like to ask about the min/max bw values you have. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I want to ask to be sure. A 75 slot server having 22Megabyte minimum bandwidth and 128 Megabyte maximum bandwidth seems like a metric crapton (going by your quoted values)

How does 15360KB equal 192000000bit? How does 75*256 equal 15360?

If Minbw should be slots*256KB, then a 50 slot server will have 12.5MB set as minimum bandwidth. How does that work? Not that a DayZ server will really ever reach gbit speeds so its only a theoretical issue (unless you detract the values to lower bandwidth servers), but if you set your MaxBandwidth to 1073741824 (1gigabit/s) how does that work with overhead etc.?

Again, not trying to rack on you, just trying to understand and see where I'm making a mistake.

Thanks! :]

First of all, thanks for posting this guide - there are many an admin who desperately need to read it :)

I'd like to ask about the min/max bw values you have. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I want to ask to be sure. A 75 slot server having 22Megabyte minimum bandwidth and 128 Megabyte maximum bandwidth seems like a metric crapton (going by your quoted values)

How does 15360KB equal 192000000bit? How does 75*256 equal 15360?

If Minbw should be slots*256KB, then a 50 slot server will have 12.5MB set as minimum bandwidth. How does that work? Not that a DayZ server will really ever reach gbit speeds so its only a theoretical issue (unless you detract the values to lower bandwidth servers), but if you set your MaxBandwidth to 1073741824 (1gigabit/s) how does that work with overhead etc.?

Again, not trying to rack on you, just trying to understand and see where I'm making a mistake.

Thanks! :]

Hey kristoferen,

I've experimented with my MaxBandwidth value a lot. You will NEVER reach 1GB/s let alone 100mb/s if you're only running one server, I set it to that anyway since it's the only process I'm running on the entire dedicated server. If I was running multiple game servers or a web server, I would use the formula of (slots * 512KB).

It doesn't actually create "extra overhead" since it's just a networking setting, and I find I have less packet loss and better connectivity when I just set it to my network port when I'm only running 1 instance of ARMA2.

This actually caused the infinite loading screen on my regular server. The admin reverted back to his old settings and the people that couldn't join anymore can join now.

This actually caused the infinite loading screen on my regular server. The admin reverted back to his old settings and the people that couldn't join anymore can join now.

Hey ShibbyBE,

Make sure that you adjust the server settings for your own server as described in the post; if you just C&P my settings and don't have the same hardware config it'll cause horrendous lag.

Hey kristoferen,

I've experimented with my MaxBandwidth value a lot. You will NEVER reach 1GB/s let alone 100mb/s if you're only running one server, I set it to that anyway since it's the only process I'm running on the entire dedicated server. If I was running multiple game servers or a web server, I would use the formula of (slots * 512KB).

It doesn't actually create "extra overhead" since it's just a networking setting, and I find I have less packet loss and better connectivity when I just set it to my network port when I'm only running 1 instance of ARMA2.

I didn't meant it created overhead, I meant that arma2server thinks it has 1gbit available, while its actually 0.8gbit due to TCP overhead, other network activity, what have you. But its no big deal, that was mostly a curiosity.

Now, assuming I have a 100mbit line I will run in to problems with min/max bw values:

Max bw values: 50 Slots * 512KB creates a maxbw value of 25 megaByte/s (209715200bit), which is obviously a lot more than 100mbit.

And the minwb value of 50slots*256KB which leaves minbw at 12.5 megaByte. Having a minbw thats exacly 100% of the line sounds like it might cause issues?

Are the values 512/256 kilobit per slot, not kiloByte? Leaving 3.125megaByte and 1.5625megaByte for max/min.

Edited by kristoferen

Hey ShibbyBE,

Make sure that you adjust the server settings for your own server as described in the post; if you just C&P my settings and don't have the same hardware config it'll cause horrendous lag.

Wasn't my server, just my regular server. Was mailing with the admin about the issue and we tried everything. I even reinstalled the whole thing. eventually he mailed me saying he reverted his server to what he had BEFORE what is described in your topic and now all the people with the infinite black screen loading after lobby could go back in.

Wasn't my server, just my regular server. Was mailing with the admin about the issue and we tried everything. I even reinstalled the whole thing. eventually he mailed me saying he reverted his server to what he had BEFORE what is described in your topic and now all the people with the infinite black screen loading after lobby could go back in.

-shrug- I can't help you without knowing more about the server mate D: ...

I didn't meant it created overhead, I meant that arma2server thinks it has 1gbit available, while its actually 0.8gbit due to TCP overhead, other network activity, what have you. But its no big deal, that was mostly a curiosity.

Now, assuming I have a 100mbit line I will run in to problems with min/max bw values:

Max bw values: 50 Slots * 512KB creates a maxbw value of 25 megaByte/s (209715200bit), which is obviously a lot more than 100mbit.

And the minwb value of 50slots*256KB which leaves minbw at 12.5 megaByte. Having a minbw thats exacly 100% of the line sounds like it might cause issues?

Are the values 512/256 kilobit per slot, not kiloByte? Leaving 3.125megaByte and 1.5625megaByte for max/min.

Yea those values are meant to be in kilobits. My bad, I'll edit the thread; nice catch.