drmantistoboggan (DayZ)

Bring back global chat

Bring back global chat as a server variable/tag for non-veteran game modes. It makes the game much more fun for "casual" players who don't play in a group. I hate dying because the current system only works within a 40(?) meter radius. By the time I'm within 40 meters of another player, they've already killed and looted me.

Then stop running up to people shouting "FRIENDLY LOL FRIENDLY PLS DONT SHOOT GOOBY" and grow a pair and shoot them first if they dodgey

nah.png

If you have a radio...maybe you should be allowed to use it, but otherwise: Removing global chat is the best update to DayZ yet.

nah.png

If you have a radio...maybe you should be allowed to use it, but otherwise: Removing global chat is the best update to DayZ yet.

Yes, removing global chat and alienating new players by forcing PvP out of sheer nervousness is clearly the best update to DayZ yet. Let's just get it over with and relegate the game to basement dwellers, because this is clearly the direction in which the mod is headed.

• Like 2

Then stop running up to people shouting "FRIENDLY LOL FRIENDLY PLS DONT SHOOT GOOBY" and grow a pair and shoot them first if they dodgey

your in game name doesn't happen to be "Big Balls Mcgee" is it?

I should wait to shoot and risk dying in every server I play on because you don't want a server variable that enables global chat?

your in game name doesn't happen to be "Big Balls Mcgee" is it?

The hell it is!

I should wait to shoot and risk dying in every server I play on because you don't want a server variable that enables global chat?

That's too fucking easy, did you play DayZ when side chat was there? annoying as fuck dude its alot better now, go get some friends and talk on skype/steam ect,ect.

The hell it is!

That's too fucking easy, did you play DayZ when side chat was there? annoying as fuck dude its alot better now, go get some friends and talk on skype/steam ect,ect.

Exactly why I'm proposing a server variable and not a server constant.

Without sidechat: Players have to get close to eachother to communicate. Most 'engagements' between players end up in a firefight regardless of if friendly calls are made.

With sidechat: People ask things like 'Friendly in Cherno?' which is responded to 'Yeah, I'm friendly in Cherno' and then they end up in a firefight regardless of what was said on sidechat.

Really, I just don't like all the blue text. So I'm happier without it.

Exactly why I'm proposing a server variable and not a server constant.

I cant even... I'm going to bed

I think it should be added, but you have the option to hide it if you don't want to see it.

Without sidechat: Players have to get close to eachother to communicate. Most 'engagements' between players end up in a firefight regardless of if friendly calls are made.

With sidechat: People ask things like 'Friendly in Cherno?' which is responded to 'Yeah, I'm friendly in Cherno' and then they end up in a firefight regardless of what was said on sidechat.

Really, I just don't like all the blue text. So I'm happier without it.

It's realy offputting when you help a stranger by killing zombies that are chasing him, you stop and type "friendly?" because you're within the ridiculously small radius-of-communication, and you get blasted in the face while you're still typing. It's even more offputting when you're a noob and crawling through a city looking for a gun or supplies and you get sniped from someone camping in a tower or on a hill because, again, you can't communicate when you're outside of that 40 meter radius.

I think it should be added, but you have the option to hide it if you don't want to see it.

Exactly. If the community truly doesn't want it then server administrators will disable the global chat variable. Or, if a player just doesn't want to see all of the chat then he can toggle "disable chat."

Never mind that there's no centralized match-making service for DayZ. I'm not talking about spawning together or having a "group" feature: if you want to play with an impromptu group, you can't because there's not even a means to communicate with other players while actually in the game. Instead, you're expected to hang out on the DayZ message boards all day and hope to coordinate a match, rather than just ask "anyone want to team up?" while in a server?

If this game wants to have any sort of new player or casual player appeal then accomodations need to be made. I'll gladly piss off a few hundred neckbeards to gain or retain a few thousand new or casual players.

Edited by drmantistoboggan

Yes, removing global chat and alienating new players by forcing PvP out of sheer nervousness is clearly the best update to DayZ yet. Let's just get it over with and relegate the game to basement dwellers, because this is clearly the direction in which the mod is headed.

I think Rocket just needs to bring TrayArk in here so they can help finish this up in a few weeks and players will finally get their hands on the next COD game.

I think Rocket just needs to bring TrayArk in here so they can help finish this up in a few weeks and players will finally get their hands on the next COD game.

Only in the mind of a neckbeard is the line between fun/function and COD razor-thin.

Keep the mod unforgiving and inaccessible. The track record of unforiging and inaccessible mods is promising.

Edited by drmantistoboggan

It's realy offputting when you help a stranger by killing zombies that are chasing him, you stop and type "friendly?" because you're within the ridiculously small radius-of-communication, and you get blasted in the face while you're still typing. It's even more offputting when you're a noob and crawling through a city looking for a gun or supplies and you get sniped from someone camping in a tower or on a hill because, again, you can't communicate when you're outside of that 40 meter radius.

Get a mic, first off. Typing is one of the most dangerous things you can do, and just because you type/say friendly doesn't mean you aren't about to get leaded up. If you stopped anywhere you could be shot at from, that's on you.

I think that bringing back global chat will cause more deaths than not. Its so easy to set up a trap;

Remember;

"Friendlies in elektro?"

or

"Come ..... for free stoof"

-1 to this thread.

i support this for newer players

there wouldnt be much of a problem if you can choose to hide it and the mic was disabled for it

Get a mic, first off. Typing is one of the most dangerous things you can do, and just because you type/say friendly doesn't mean you aren't about to get leaded up. If you stopped anywhere you could be shot at from, that's on you.

this is also true, when playing this game, even stopping to type for 1 second can result in death

Edited by Carl's Sr.

i think it takes more balls to run up on a guy and try to befriend him than it does to just shoot him in this game. that's a huge gamble on his part.

and if we want global chat, we should be able to use if we have a walkie talkie.

The only concern there is with the global (side) chat is the issue of people talking through their mics in it. Otherwise, it does not really make the mod worse and actually benefits people, especially new ones.

If you had mic's disabled on it then I see no reason why shouldn't be brought back. It's not like it is going to change anything. It is a game after all..

I just got done playing on a server that still has side chat enabled. I was shot a few times while trying to set up friendly meets. I also successfuly made a few friends. Voice spamming wasn't an issue. Even if it was, isn't there a way to mute players?

• Like 1

I've been on a server today with side chat. I assure you global chat isn't gone, it's just not on most servers.