Sign in to follow this  
Slavinkje

Why call this zombie survival?

Ok so, why is this game called a 'zombie survival mod' anyway? I think any regular player knows that zombies are hardly a threat. I think the only people actually scared or worried about them are the new players while they're actually not much of a threat. I mean, where are the zombies roaming the land? The only place you can ever run into any is in a town and even then they're easy to get around. The only real threat here are other players...

We should have bunches of zombies just roaming along. Basically right now you're safe (except from other players) anywhere. You can run around forrests and fields and not have to worry about a thing (again, except for other players). Wouldn't it be great if that tent you set up in a forrest wouldn't be you're little safe haven because random zombies could just be stalking throught the woods? I think this would actually help in getting people to work together more and have it not be the free for all that it is right now. There is no point in calling this mod a zombie survival mod because you're never surviving from the zombies, just other players. Might as well call it 'The fight for resources' or something.

Just my two cents.

• Like 5

You're not getting the point I think. The zombies in this mod are just a gimmick. They're there but no-one except the noobs are threatened by them. Zombies need an upgrade in this mod cause they're not a threat. And I don't mean give them super-sight or super-hearing. I mean make them omnipresent, stalking fields, stalking woods. Clustered up in groups just roaming along the land you name it. Anything to make them more dangerous to the player.

I agree that zombies should be just as threatening (everywhere) as are other players. So other players would be forced to think about uniting with people roaming the wilderness, instead of shooting them. The zombies should be the force to unite against, not the noobs.

Ok so, why is this game called a 'zombie survival mod' anyway?

Because people like you make assumptions and start calling it that before you even bother playing the game? I don't know.

Anyway the vast majority of deaths are from zombies so it seems like it's at least partially about surviving zombies.

And, yes, newer players die to zombies more often than veteran players. That's kind of how games are supposed to work - as you get better at them, you die less, right?

You are mistaken. This mod is starting a new game genre called "Sniper survival". The mod was initially called "Day S", but it looked very crappy. It was changed to "Day Z" just for the sake of style.

EDIT: I hate my missing i's and o's when typing.

Edited by necroslord
  • Like 1

You are mistaken. This mod is starting a new game genre called "Sniper survival". The mod was initially called "Day S", but it looked very crappy. It was changed to "Day Z" just for the sake of style.

EDIT: I hate my missing i's and o's when typing.

They could also call it "Get the m107 and snipe the shit out of Elektro"

Also - why is it that everytime I accept an invitation on Skype and chat with the people, I find out they are a group of 12-14 year olds? Shouldn't a game like Dayz be for more mature players? There are child protection laws in most countries. And I can't remember any kids playing Arma II with a vengeance.

Because people like you make assumptions and start calling it that before you even bother playing the game? I don't know.

Anyway the vast majority of deaths are from zombies so it seems like it's at least partially about surviving zombies.

And, yes, newer players die to zombies more often than veteran players. That's kind of how games are supposed to work - as you get better at them, you die less, right?

This mod is called DayZ right? So what does the Z stand for according to you then? I guess people like you are making assumptions about my playing this game without even knowing who I am. Did you even bother to read the post or did you just instantly revert to defending your precious when you saw the title. Don't get me wrong, I love this mod, but the zombies are not playing the part in it that they should be.

@mythtech, I don't think any of the suggestions I made have anything to do with or have something in common with the games you mention so shut it. Anyone willing to constructively add or refute my posts? I'm just trying to give some constructive criticism here and I get jumped at immediatly...

Thanks S3V3N for actually reading my post and taking the time to give an honest reply. You're getting my point at least.

Depends what floats your boat I guess - me, I'd love the mod to be nuts on the PvE front, aka everytime you see a zed you're touching cloth, if you aggro 'em you're melting everyone's earballs over comms and a winnie is about the best weapon in the game and rarer than a moderate, well-rounded opinion on the internet. Just can't be all things to all people - wouldn't be the bandits cup of tea and would put off a lot of the casual/new players.

Personally I want every zed encounter to be a brown trouser moment, but at the moment, slotting zombies is what I do when bored - as I say, can't be all things to all people, but I reckon it's doing a fair job :D

• Like 1

This mod is called DayZ right? So what does the Z stand for according to you then? I guess people like you are making assumptions about my playing this game without even knowing who I am. Did you even bother to read the post or did you just instantly revert to defending your precious when you saw the title. Don't get me wrong, I love this mod, but the zombies are not playing the part in it that they should be.

@mythtech, I don't think any of the suggestions I made have anything to do with or have something in common with the games you mention so shut it. Anyone willing to constructively add or refute my posts? I'm just trying to give some constructive criticism here and I get jumped at immediatly...

Thanks S3V3N for actually reading my post and taking the time to give an honest reply. You're getting my point at least.

Z stands for Zniper.

Edited by necroslord

Well I understand it's an alpha version and it's not everything it should be right now. Like I said, I love it already but like you said I would like zombies to make me crap my pants. I see how some people might be put off by it and it would actually make the game harder. However I think the upside would be that players would rather work together if this was the case then just shootin anyone on sight. It would make you think twice before putting a bullet in any other players' head because you might need him to have your back at a later time. I'm not saying the zeds should be EVERYWHERE but at least some should be roaming around. It's not like you wouldn't be able to avoid them like you do in towns and villages.

Zombies used to be much more of a threat in my opinion. The early days of the mod you couldnt lose zombies ever - they just chased and chased you in an ever increasing "train" till you either killed them all or they killed you. When you consider there was many more zombies to contend with (most I seen on a server was 1150ish) , much less ammo and NO MELEE weapon, obviously then you see why they were more of a threat.

It is still early days for this mod/game I'd say enjoy it while you can!

Edited by Box

If you don't like, don't play it. Play Left 4 Dead or some generic zombie shooter.

The game is in public alpha so the developers can get feedback. Instead, every single suggestion that asks the developers to change something seems to get comments like this.

On-topic, I do agree. The zombies aren't a real threat because they are so easy to avoid, because you know where they are or aren't. And if one notices you, you can just outrun it.

• Like 1

We should have bunches of zombies just roaming along. Basically right now you're safe (except from other players) anywhere. You can run around forrests and fields and not have to worry about a thing (again, except for other players). Wouldn't it be great if that tent you set up in a forrest wouldn't be you're little safe haven because random zombies could just be stalking throught the woods? I think this would actually help in getting people to work together more and have it not be the free for all that it is right now. There is no point in calling this mod a zombie survival mod because you're never surviving from the zombies, just other players. Might as well call it 'The fight for resources' or something.

I believe zombies aren't everywhere because they only spawn near loot points. So, if there is a hut in the woods with possible loot, zombies should show up, too. I think what the developer is trying to do is to introduce 'risk.' Or perhaps the zombies are 'guarding' the loot?

However, I do agree with you. The zombies are not much of a challenge anymore. Perhaps if there were more of them (though I've had about 20 chase me before) then it would prove more of a challenge. Then, people might be more convinced to team up to increase their chances of survival in cities and villages, least they be overwhelmed by 30+zombies at once.

I get your point black but what risk is there right now then, and why would zombies be guarding the loot? I'm not saying zombies shouldn't be near loot anymore or not spawning near towns, this actually makes sense. More zombies should be present in previously populated areas (because of the infection). But there's no reason for them to just stay there. They have no reason to stay there really as they basically have no reason or concious thought of any kind (depending on whether you agree on some common beliefs about zombies off course).

/EDIT:

I think this would give more of a point to all the barbed wire and defenses actually. If you would want an actual safe haven you would have to put up these static defenses in order to defend an area you consider 'home' or 'important' because there might be a chance that a horde of wandering zombies might try to 'take' it from you..

Edited by Slavinkje

The eternal magic word: ALPHA

Deal with it, its a non finished game, You can barely even called a game, its a rough outline for a mod. Thats all you're playing right now.

Random zombies would be nice alright but remember, were playing an alpha so perhaps we will see this in the future.

In the majority of post apocalyptic/zombie fiction it has always been the case that other survivors are more of a threat then the zombies.

28 days later - the soldiers mess everything up

Dawn of the dead - the bandits/marauders

Night of the living dead - the scared asshole that locks himself and fam in the basement

The Road - no zombies and people are still shooting on sight.

I could go on and on.

Meeting a truly friendly survivor is the exception and not the rule.

Zombies have always been a metaphor for the creeping inevitability of death and a good zombie narrative is always based around the survivors and how they deal with this fear and each other.

• Like 2

I get your point black but what risk is there right now then, and why would zombies be guarding the loot? I'm not saying zombies shouldn't be near loot anymore or not spawning near towns, this actually makes sense. More zombies should be present in previously populated areas (because of the infection). But there's no reason for them to just stay there. They have no reason to stay there really as they basically have no reason or concious thought of any kind (depending on whether you agree on some common beliefs about zombies off course).

/EDIT:

I think this would give more of a point to all the barbed wire and defenses actually. If you would want an actual safe haven you would have to put up these static defenses in order to defend an area you consider 'home' or 'important' because there might be a chance that a horde of wandering zombies might try to 'take' it from you..

Well - it's the zombies agenda to keep you from running straight for every loot you find. Also, it is a quite ingenious system to distribute the zeds and make you aware of lootable areas, when you are off the main tracks.

I think zombies should have hunger stages. They could make some hunger crazed zombies that somehow lost their track of where the town is and wandered off into the wilderness. They are extremely violent, but at the same time, they are almost too weak to chase you for long (to cut the running-through-the-forest-for-10-minutes out). Depending on their hunger zombies are differently aware of you and differently interested. A well fed city zombie may just let you slip by where a hillybilly zombie will use his last breath to catch up with you.

• Like 1

Absolutely true and there is no reason why this should change with my suggestion implemented. I'm not saying this should happen now or at all just because I think so. I'm just trying to bring in some suggestions. Saying that is an alpha and I should 'deal with it' is not a valid argument.

Like I said, it MIGHT make people think twice before putting two in the chest and one in the head on every encounter with another player. In fact it might make it all the more tense just because the guy you just helped or helped you may still decide to take your loot afterwards.

• Like 1

Well - it's the zombies agenda to keep you from running straight for every loot you find. Also, it is a quite ingenious system to distribute the zeds and make you aware of lootable areas, when you are off the main tracks.

I think zombies should have hunger stages. They could make some hunger crazed zombies that somehow lost their track of where the town is and wandered off into the wilderness. They are extremely violent, but at the same time, they are almost too weak to chase you for long (to cut the running-through-the-forest-for-10-minutes out). Depending on their hunger zombies are differently aware of you and differently interested. A well fed city zombie may just let you slip by where a hillybilly zombie will use his last breath to catch up with you.

Now we're getting the creative juices flowing, this is what I'm talking about people!

Edited by Slavinkje

Now we're getting the creative juices flowing, this is what I'm talking about people!

so where are my beans ;) ?

:P there you go

I was wondering what that button was for haha!

Edited by Slavinkje