ushiri@gmail.com

Falling damage, very unrealistic!

DayZ falling damage, realistic or not?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about DayZ falling damage:

• It feels like youre 90 years old with a skeleton decease!
    • I think its good as it is

I have had that exact barn problem before, it was just a couple of steps but gave me a broken leg. However I did that more recently and it didnt happen. The player was stuck for a second but then could move again. I tried again. Didnt break again. So maybe they have already made an alteration in fall damage to a very small drop like that (its like 1 ft). But 1ft is different to dropping upto 2 meters and ROLLING bro.. come on. thats not something you should try in a survival situation so why ask for it

i like that theorising about jump by Urishi above; being a long slow one.. if at all. the day that it is tempting to just randomly jump as you run along is the day its not a milsim anymore. but that wont happen

Edited by Clatterbridge
  • Like 1

i like that theorising about jump by Urishi above; being a long slow one.. if at all. the day that it is tempting to just randomly jump as you run along is the day its not a milsim anymore. but that wont happen

I mean if youre on a roof, be it Arma2 or DayZ ...and you want to try to make a jump over to a roof nearby, either

while running for a longer jump or just standing still and try to jump over. It would add a lot of realism to the game overall.

( one thing I also missed in regular arma and flashpoint is the option to kick someones head with your riflebutt, I mean if you get out of ammo and u meet an enemy with no ammo aswell, you can only try to scream at him until he disconnect for you being rude haha)

The fall damage/death is very over the top but then falling doesn't even have a proper animation, this is something that could be addressed in the standalone.

Going into a barrel roll or the character bending the knees would be enough to stop this and falling from the second level of a barn (or similar building) shouldn't be as life threatening as it currently is.

Edited by -lOldBoyl-
  • Like 1

The chance for a broken limb either needs to be reduced greatly, or replaced with a higher amount of bloodloss. I'd say falls of two meters or more should still be very dangerous, but I've broken my legs on falls less than a meter many times.

In fact, about half of the calls for help I respond to are people with broken legs, typically in those 3-tiered barns.

• Like 1

To Op:

Stop jumping off things. Fall damage is fine.

And the leg breaking mechanic is exactly as it is in Arma, it is not some thing unique to DayZ.

There are situations where you break your leg that are annoying; Like lieing next to a small Fir tree, or glitching on another object like a door etc. But falling? Not really a problem. Sounds to me like your running/walking off the 2nd level in the barn instead of using the steps. Some times this will give you a broken leg, some times it wont...Have some patience, use the steps...

I dont even think there is point wasting time implementing a fall animation, There really are bugger all things to fall off in Arma.

Edited by SeanOfTheDead

I feel like its not a problem at all.

Stop jumping off things.

You are a condescending old fart aren't you.

In every post.

Keep it up.

• Like 1

Sigh.

What is hard to understand about an Alpha, anything can kill you.

Why would you try and fall 2 meters in a mod like Day Z, are you retarded?

This isn't like other shooters, you don't jump 10m and get a red screen and magically come back to full health, what is hard for you people to understand about this.

As far as I know its arma's issue not alpha dayz.

I have fallen from more than 2 meters and I'm not dead or have any broken bones.

And to those who are bitching about how its about realism, morphine isn't as magical as it is on dayz :)

• Like 1

Just had an incident, it wasn't really from falling but someone had placed a sandbag barricade infront of some stairs and as I tried to vault over it. I Broke all my bones and lost most of my hp, and bleed out... bit annoying as it involved quite a lot of walkin' to get here

Edited by Falcorn
  • Like 1

fall 2 meters onto uneven ground carrying a rifle, vest with ammo and a backpack almost your own weight and tell me you are ok

this system forces you to take your time most importantly. i hope they dont change fall damage at all

fall like 2 meters onto uneven or even ground WITHOUT carrying a rifle, vest with ammo and backpack.....Then its not realistic to break legs..

The mechanism needs work, one of our team ejected from the heli at about 50m yesterday and even though he was unconscious with a broken leg, severe bleeding and a zed eating him it took us almost two minutes to find him and we still managed to save him, now thats messed up, if you fall from 1-2m it should maybe stop you for a few moments and put you in shock or have a small random chance of serious injury but 50m should kill you or give you a very short time (10-15 seconds) within which you can be saved

Fall damage and injury being inconsistent feels more realistic, to a point. Anyone who has broken bones in real life will tell you how easily you can injure yourself if you land awkwardly, heck I know people who have broken bones simply from slipping over from a standing position and landing badly. So falling off a 6ft ledge, or falling down some stairs? Yeah that could definitely break a bone in your leg.

The falling damage is not problem, nor is changing it the solution. Currently the fall damage has enough unknown chance that it mimics real life quite well, you never know if that next slip will have you landing awkwardly spraining your ankle or breaking your wrist from bracing impact, or just simply a sore bottom. The fall damage needs to be random to keep it more authentic.

Add on top that you are carrying roughly 90 pounds of gear and equipment. Your average assault riffle is about 10 pounds plus all ammo adds up fast.

What I think needs to be done is more control and type of warning system if your about to fall so you can quickly correct yourself. I could see making use of the zoom function. When the character approaches an edge at any speed for a split second the character will stop moving towards the ledge (continue whatever other direction) and the camera would zoom in quickly depending how close to death they are. Of course it would only last for a split second just enough time to react and let go of your direction keys to re-orientate yourself.

A slight hesitation before you fall, nothing more, nothing less that's all I really want.

i have less of a problem with the falling damage/broken bones as i do with the mike Tyson Zombies that 1-shot you as u run past..

the odds of getting KO'd or broken bones from Zombies should be wayyyy less then it is currently.

also whats up with the initial Z strike when im at 12K blood ALWAYS resulting in a bleed.. every fukn time..

Okay, to the OP, you just fucking epicly bumped this topic up four months.

Come on.

Anyways, fall damage is fine, if you are not expecting a fall in real life and tense up during the half second fall, you can land and break bones easily. Another thing is that when you land off of a moderately high place in real life, do you ever get that tingly feeling then a sharp pain in your ankles? It's because you were tense while you fell. Bohemia Interactive was smart NOT to include a jumping system...

TL;DR It's completely fine.

Fell down 3-4 m landing on my feet, DIES.

Realistic my ass.

Falling damage is fine IMO.

Remember your character is pretty heavily laden with all your gear. Yes, you've probably fallen 2m in real life with no broken bones but please, try it again with 2 rifles, a sidearm and a backpack full of tools, food/drink and medical supplies, lol.

The easiest way to avoid falling damage is to not fall. If you are clumsy and fall a lot you might want to carry around the necessary supplies to keep yourself on your feet. (no pun intended ok maybe just a little)

So simple it just makes no sense, I know.

I dont mind the fall damage, what I mind is:

Walk up the stairs and your legs get crushed to bits.

Vault over fence and breaking a leg.

Walking over a branch and becoming permently handicap.

I fucked my legs up more times by doing normal shit then I ever did when falling.

Despite my youth, I feel old when I see a four month old thread get necro'd. And I see that I've voted and posted in it.

I still think it's a little bit much. Few days ago, I slipped off a 'school' first story roof. I didn't fall the full 3-3.5 meters to the ground though, I landed atop the neighboring fence roughly 1m below the roof. I lived through that fine, but then the two meter fall that followed killed me instantly. My previous vote and comment still stands.

Wow, I didn't expect there to be so many idiots in this thread advocating for this falling death to stay. Honestly, I wouldn't mind harsh fall damage as long as they get rid of the damn insta kill.

The physics (or lack thereof) in this game full stop smells of excrement. But then thats ArmA 2 and not DayZ i guess and they've fixed (or added it I should really say) in ArmA 3 thank god.

As for the falling damage i do have mixed feelings. Like if you do fall of the barn thing, obviously IRL you wouldnt just drop perfectly vertical and land on feet, you'd trip over/fall in awkward ways etc. due to the shitty physics this cant be translated in game properly. Due to that, although in theory I agree if you fall 3m in an awkward position you can easily brake something, in game it just doesnt feel right somehow to me.

Maybe if you JUST broke your leg and didnt lose blood/start bleeding all the time, it would be more realistic.

Edited by Rooneye

Today i was in a castle ruins and when i was at the stairs i felt from 2 meters and Died. I really dont understand how a man can die from falling 2 Meters! Maybe if you fall right on your head.... Its third death from falling less than 5 meters and Im starting to be pissed of .