Sign in to follow this  
Ellvibi

New laptop. Any advice?

Hey, i'm looking to start playing dayz but i cant quite play it on my current laptop on account of how bad it is. im considering getting one of these.

http://computers.toptenreviews.com/gaming-laptops/asustek-computer-inc/asus-g74sx-review.html

http://computers.toptenreviews.com/gaming-laptops/msi-computer-corporation/msi-gt683r-289us-review.html

I'm new to this stuff, so would these be able to run dayz at highest settings fluently? any other suggestions?

Im playing dayz on msi gt683 and it runs the game on about 40 fps check this laptop on google

Both of them will more than likely be able to play ArmA 2 with DayZ on Medium settings, but for the love of god, instead of throwing more than a thousand dollars out of the window you can get an excellent gaming rig for LESS that is also better. I reccomend grabbing a friend of yours with some technical know-how and ask him if he could set-up a gaming rig for you. In my books, the term "gaming-laptop" does not exist. Not saying the ones you linked are bad, it's just... holy cow they're expensive, just looking at the price tags makes me shudder.

Get a PC and stop wasting your money on mobility 99% of laptop users don't even need.

I'm the 1% then. I'm all over the country 75% of the time, so why dont you keep your opinions to yourself and stick to answering the questions i asked.

• Like 2

my laptop with a 18 inch screen, nividia 680, 12g ram, top end i7 cost me 3300 dollars. Totally worth it if you are spending 4-6 hours a day on it. Also playing from your bed is a plus also. It also a Alienware and could care less if it is overpriced. I had one before this for 4 years and still have it so it is a brand that i am comfortable with.

most 1-3 year old laptops with graphics cards are more than likely going to be able to run dayz on low-medium settings with an alright Fps

Okay, lets switch then, ill keep my laptop for purely professional use, what are good PCs? any sites to give me info?

I'll give you a good example of why someone might need a gaming laptop.

I'm going to school across the world from where home. Obviously I wasn't going to bring my desktop over here so I chose to get a gaming laptop.

I got the Samsung Series 7 Gamer. It's been about 6 months and I'm very happy so far! It is expandable to the point that I can put new HD's in it and upgrade the vid card if I can ever find one that is compatible with the onboard chipset.

I definitely wish it was cheaper, but I can play arma II on all high gfx at 60fps, bf3 on high/ultra at 50fps and pretty much any other game over 50fps on high.

Okay, lets switch then, ill keep my laptop for purely professional use, what are good PCs? any sites to give me info?

Best Buy is selling custom pc's on their site.

You can get a friend who knows their shit and let them order you the filthiest setup ever.

Just a FYI, though, retail will always be more expensive than custom built. So if you want something that wont be outdated in 3 years, get someone to custom build one.

• Like 1

My HP Pavilion DV7 from over 2 years ago didn't have a particularly powerful GPU (Radeon HD 6490m) with a beefy Quad-core i7-2630QM, plays DayZ just fine on about Medium settings.

Although I realised how much money I've spent on Laptops (over £2400) so I got a custom PC built for me for £600 and it plays ANYTHING on the highest settings, where-as my Laptop that cost me £1200 could not do, for the sake of £600 and maneuverability that I didn't need that often, it's a massive money-saver and it'll also serve you in years to come because of the upgrade-ability. ;)

However out of those 2 Laptop I'd go for the Asus G74SX, it's got a pretty decent GPU for a Laptop, it *should* be able to run DayZ on the highest settings, you may want to lower a couple of things for it to run like silk though just in case.

Edited by Skyl1n3

Elvibi I looked at them and the first one Asus G74SX..

I have the same processor (Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM) and almost gfx; NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M (well mine is GT 540M)

This game runs at 30-35FPS on

No AA, 1160x?res, V high text/obj/terrain

It looks good. Plays good. I think that will be enough. I worried because the processor is 2Ghz but its i7 maybe that makes the difference. It also "boosts" to 2.8 or can be OCd to 3. Here are the values for OC that processor; http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m18x/599225-help-overclock-intel-core-i7-2630qm-3.html

I have not OC the gfx yet but do have the driver for that. it just hasnt been necessary as the gaming is ok without

Ive found some stuff on pcworld and newegg.com. is that a good place to start for custom pcs?

Ive found some stuff on pcworld and newegg.com. is that a good place to start for custom pcs?

Yes. Newegg is known for selling their parts and their great service.

I'm off to work, pm me if you have anymore questions.

• Like 1