Sign in to follow this  
ian2buckz

Do you see a DayzHosting.Com Server LOCKED? VIEW!

I'll start this thread off with a short and sweet story that ends in the favor of the community. A few days ago I had decided to go on ahead and purchase a server from HostAltitude (DayzHosting.com) and very much so enjoyed it. However I ended up in favor of a refund after a few days and realized that the server was already bought out by another user. US 1345. Well, I had decided to stick with the server in hopes of still having that half-salvaged vehicle spawn in Stary... And upon joining I was kicked.

Well, it took some threads in the forums to get some notice, but that didn't take care of the problem. So what did I do next? I emailed them. I proved to them the admin is abusing his rights as a server owner.. And hey! Sever disabled.

(Email proof)

DDU7X.png

KFaZp.png

My suggestion to all users who see an IP of a server ending in "Dayzhosting.com" is to take screenshots, write up a summary, and email it to "

support@hostaltitude.com"

An example of what to type up:

"According to the rules and guidelines posted by DayZ admins anyone who is in possession of a server must obliged to the stated rules here: http://dayzmod.com/f...r-read-in-here/ . While browsing the server list I had come upon a server that advertised your hosting services that violated these given rules.

Proof listed here"

Edited by ian2buckz
  • Like 1

One word of caution here...

Some server owners lock the server for several minutes prior to restarts in conjunction with restart countdown warnings. This, to me, seems an acceptable and professional use of the lock function within the context of DayZ's rule set.

Obviously if a server is locked for more than a handful of minutes it ought to get flagged...

With my dedicated, I use BEC to give a 5 minute warning and repeats at 3 and 1 minute marks before restarting.

• Like 1

I believe all clients of Host Altitude just received a mass email regarding the locking of servers.

Rules being the what the rules are, and I'm not going to argue about them, I will say that I think its funny that DayZ is the only game in recent memory where the people contributing nothing to the community had more power than the people contributing the server bases the players were generating metrics on in the first place.

I'm not defending locking servers of course, I'm just remarking how hilarious it is that someone that isn't a server admin, that isn't putting a dime into providing a server base that provides testing metrics to the alpha process, by definition of the hosting agreement Rocket demanded, has enough power to effectively shut down Rocket's testing base...server by server, simply because of the rules Rocket and the DayZ team set into place.

Oh well, least I don't have to worry about it, I don't lock my server. But well done, DayZ team, on giving the bean counters and busy bodies of the internet something to do with their time I guess.

Must be an interesting conundrum for the server resellers as well. "Oh look, some clod that pays me nothing is shutting down someone that does, how joyous, I'm so glad I sunk 20 grand into trying to ride the DayZ bandwagon."

Just funny, really. When you think about it. And please don't yap "RULES" at me like a trained shih tzu puppy. I'm well aware there are rules, I just think they're hilarious rules and I'm sure a lawyer or barrister somewhere is laughing at them right now.

Edited by semipr0
  • Like 3

Rules being the what the rules are, and I'm not going to argue about them, I will say that I think its funny that DayZ is the only game in recent memory where the people contributing nothing to the community had more power than the people contributing the server bases the players were generating metrics on in the first place.

I'm not defending locking servers of course, I'm just remarking how hilarious it is that someone that isn't a server admin, that isn't putting a dime into providing a server base that provides testing metrics to the alpha process, by definition of the hosting agreement Rocket demanded, has enough power to effectively shut down Rocket's testing base...server by server, simply because of the rules Rocket and the DayZ team set into place.

Oh well, least I don't have to worry about it, I don't lock my server. But well done, DayZ team, on giving the bean counters and busy bodies of the internet something to do with their time I guess.

Must be an interesting conundrum for the server resellers as well. "Oh look, some clod that pays me nothing is shutting down someone that does, how joyous, I'm so glad I sunk 20 grand into trying to ride the DayZ bandwagon."

Just funny, really. When you think about it. And please don't yap "RULES" at me like a trained shih tzu puppy. I'm well aware there are rules, I just think they're hilarious rules and I'm sure a lawyer or barrister somewhere is laughing at them right now.

There are very few "RULES" for running a Dayz server, if you can't get them right then you're only contributing skewed data back to the project. It is a priviledge to be able to run a Dayz server, regardless how much you pay for it. It seems there are lots of locked servers now, please tell me how a server which is only used by a handful of people with the password is really contributing anything to the wider community? It isn't. Infact it only makes the game worse, by allowing unfair practises such as weapon farming which can be used against honest players. Get down off your stupid high horse. You may be thanked for running an open server, but don't think because you have thrown money at it you deserve any extras.

I can't believe the sheer amount of whiny asses on DayZ. Jesus, you think that Rocket & Co. would have this handled and wouldn't need some dumb asses constantly posting on servers who lock. I mean come on, it's not like they can't open their server browser in DayZ once a day. I mean reporting hackers is cool and all, but seriously, locked servers?

People need to stop being such fucking power hungry kids and let the grown ups do their jobs.

There are very few "RULES" for running a Dayz server, if you can't get them right then you're only contributing skewed data back to the project. It is a priviledge to be able to run a Dayz server, regardless how much you pay for it. It seems there are lots of locked servers now, please tell me how a server which is only used by a handful of people with the password is really contributing anything to the wider community? It isn't. Infact it only makes the game worse, by allowing unfair practises such as weapon farming which can be used against honest players. Get down off your stupid high horse. You may be thanked for running an open server, but don't think because you have thrown money at it you deserve any extras.

Ahh the ever present argument of the have nots in regards to those that have.

Its not a high horse, its business logic. The internet is FULL of people who love to make it their business to ruin other peoples days, weeks, months...whatever.

These people don't care what level of damage they do to any company, individual or group of individuals in their pursuit.

The DayZ server hosting rule set effectively opens the door to allow people to send one screenshot of a server that might have been locked for five minutes, for all we know, and as per part to the rules, it can be arbitrarily assumed that this is something that server admin does all the time.

There is no due process, there is no due diligence. There is simply someone posting screenshots, making complaints and wasting other peoples money, for the lulz. Not just the person paying for the server, but the colocation reseller that is footing the lease terms for the clusters they've leased to support the game.

I don't believe I stated I deserve any extras at all. I'm simply laughing at a rule set which empowers the DayZ community at large to enforce their will on any server admin, at any time, through an arbitrary assumption of guilt based on a few screenshots that could mean absolutely nothing, and when you think about it, if you let that kind of thing go on too long, you end up with an atmosphere where people aren't going to want to host servers cause they're not going to be interested in being constant targets.

900,000 unique players requires a rather large server base and I rather doubt Rocket or BIS is all that interested in footing the bill for all the hardware and bandwidth it would require for them to be able to manage that level of activity and continue to let it grow exponentially.

But thanks for yapping "RULES" at me, even though I specifically said there was no need.

The DayZ hosting agreement is illegal. A not for profit third party does not, legally, have any right to enforce the terms of service between a service provider, and that service providers clients. First year law students could tell you that and I'm definitely not a first year law student.

The only way the agreement even becomes tacitly legal is that the colocation resellers agree to uphold it. Nothing more, nothing less. A colocation reseller could very well tell the DayZ team their agreement is illegal and they have no intention of enforcing it, and in that case, The DayZ team's only legal recourse is to not allow Hive connections from those servers. And thats pretty much all they could do, and if a reseller decided to put up a local hive database to support their own servers, there is absolutely nothing DayZ's development team can do about that either, without prior written agreements in place that specifically preclude such actions on the part of their partnered hosters.

So again, don't yap "RULES" at me. You can have all the rules in the world, but there is such a thing as "law" in the real world, and it is not the existence of the rules that impart their validity, but whether they can stand up to analysis in a court of law. And I can guarantee you that the DayZ server hosting agreement cannot, should push come to shove and this agreement ever end up as the central argument of defense in a civil court dispute.

• Like 1

It's hard to tell if you're a troll or really that stupid. You talk about business logic, then ramble about people who like to ruin other peoples days? I lost your trail of argument there and it's hard to pick it up later on. Newsflash, Rocket and Bohemia Interactive own all the legal rights over Dayz/Arma 2. If you want to use their software legally then you damn well stick within the terms. Sure, you are welcome to set up your own illegally ran hive servers which are the equivalent of pirated software. They could send the lawyers after anyone doing this for intellectual property infringement but they are more interested in spending their time on more constructive things.

All of your writing is for nothing. The individual people making complaints is NOT what gets servers shut down. It is the hosting provider, sometimes in coordination with the Dayz team, deciding the close servers. By doing this, they are reducing their own revenue stream so of course they have incentive to investigate each complaint thoroughly and hopefully push the renter to clean up their ways. Any host who wants to stay in business will contact the buyer, monitor the server and even try to correct the problem themselves before resorting to shutdowns.

""The DayZ hosting agreement is illegal. A not for profit third party does not, legally, have any right to enforce the terms of service between a service provider, and that service providers clients. First year law students could tell you that and I'm definitely not a first year law student."

Maybe go back to first grade, because there are some HUGE holes in your knowledge.

Ahh the ever present argument of the have nots in regards to those that have.

Its not a high horse, its business logic. The internet is FULL of people who love to make it their business to ruin other peoples days, weeks, months...whatever.

These people don't care what level of damage they do to any company, individual or group of individuals in their pursuit.

The DayZ server hosting rule set effectively opens the door to allow people to send one screenshot of a server that might have been locked for five minutes, for all we know, and as per part to the rules, it can be arbitrarily assumed that this is something that server admin does all the time.

There is no due process, there is no due diligence. There is simply someone posting screenshots, making complaints and wasting other peoples money, for the lulz. Not just the person paying for the server, but the colocation reseller that is footing the lease terms for the clusters they've leased to support the game.

I don't believe I stated I deserve any extras at all. I'm simply laughing at a rule set which empowers the DayZ community at large to enforce their will on any server admin, at any time, through an arbitrary assumption of guilt based on a few screenshots that could mean absolutely nothing, and when you think about it, if you let that kind of thing go on too long, you end up with an atmosphere where people aren't going to want to host servers cause they're not going to be interested in being constant targets.

900,000 unique players requires a rather large server base and I rather doubt Rocket or BIS is all that interested in footing the bill for all the hardware and bandwidth it would require for them to be able to manage that level of activity and continue to let it grow exponentially.

But thanks for yapping "RULES" at me, even though I specifically said there was no need.

The DayZ hosting agreement is illegal. A not for profit third party does not, legally, have any right to enforce the terms of service between a service provider, and that service providers clients. First year law students could tell you that and I'm definitely not a first year law student.

The only way the agreement even becomes tacitly legal is that the colocation resellers agree to uphold it. Nothing more, nothing less. A colocation reseller could very well tell the DayZ team their agreement is illegal and they have no intention of enforcing it, and in that case, The DayZ team's only legal recourse is to not allow Hive connections from those servers. And thats pretty much all they could do, and if a reseller decided to put up a local hive database to support their own servers, there is absolutely nothing DayZ's development team can do about that either, without prior written agreements in place that specifically preclude such actions on the part of their partnered hosters.

So again, don't yap "RULES" at me. You can have all the rules in the world, but there is such a thing as "law" in the real world, and it is not the existence of the rules that impart their validity, but whether they can stand up to analysis in a court of law. And I can guarantee you that the DayZ server hosting agreement cannot, should push come to shove and this agreement ever end up as the central argument of defense in a civil court dispute.

Do you know what zero tolerance is? The rules are, NEVER lock or password protect your server. Even doing so for 10 seconds is against the rules and in my eyes should result in your server being blacklisted. I've had my server for nearly a month now and not once have I ever locked it or added a password. It hasn't even crossed my mind.

Edited by CamP

It's hard to tell if you're a troll or really that stupid. You talk about business logic, then ramble about people who like to ruin other peoples days? I lost your trail of argument there and it's hard to pick it up later on. Newsflash, Rocket and Bohemia Interactive own all the legal rights over Dayz/Arma 2. If you want to use their software legally then you damn well stick within the terms. Sure, you are welcome to set up your own illegally ran hive servers which are the equivalent of pirated software. They could send the lawyers after anyone doing this for intellectual property infringement but they are more interested in spending their time on more constructive things.

All of your writing is for nothing. The individual people making complaints is NOT what gets servers shut down. It is the hosting provider, sometimes in coordination with the Dayz team, deciding the close servers. By doing this, they are reducing their own revenue stream so of course they have incentive to investigate each complaint thoroughly and hopefully push the renter to clean up their ways. Any host who wants to stay in business will contact the buyer, monitor the server and even try to correct the problem themselves before resorting to shutdowns.

""The DayZ hosting agreement is illegal. A not for profit third party does not, legally, have any right to enforce the terms of service between a service provider, and that service providers clients. First year law students could tell you that and I'm definitely not a first year law student."

Maybe go back to first grade, because there are some HUGE holes in your knowledge.

You can't understand what I've written, yet I'm the one that needs to go back to school? An astute observation there Maktyr.

I don't need to defend anything I've said, because what I've said is backed up by law. Period.

Arguing with you further is pointless. So I won't bother. A good day to you sir.

Do you know what zero tolerance is? The rules are, NEVER lock or password protect your server. Even doing so for 10 seconds is against the rules and in my eyes should result in your server being blacklisted. I've had my server for nearly a month now and not once have I ever locked it or added a password. It hasn't even crossed my mind.

I'm well aware what zero tolerance is, what I'm questioning is whether it can be legally defended in a court of law. My assessment of the agreement itself, as its being enforced by a not-for-profit third party, indicates that no, it cannot be legally defended in a court of law.

I've never locked or added a password my server either. I see no need to. I'm not arguing for the right to lock my server. I'll just leave it go from here and say that Rocket probably should have had his hosting agreement terms reviewed by the BIS general legal counsel before throwing it out there and forcing a questionable agreement on multiple colocation hosting companies in the process.

Might as well tattoo Sue Me, on your head, in my opinion, and I won't be surprised when someone does. Litigation is such a profitable industry these days....after all.

Thank you for your constant reports to the Stasi comrade! It is through efforts like yours the party grows stronger! Long live the GDR!

Now please report back on what your neighbors cat is doing, the party is in need of such critical information comrade.

How dare owners lock the very servers they pay for. The DayZ Forum Police and head inquisitor IAN2BUCKZ are truly righteous in their assault upon the evil admins.

2wppboy.png

Edited by Chazzy