Sign in to follow this  
Valhingen

Is this normal that it takes this long?

So now I'm playing for maybe a week or two and it's always incredibly difficult to well, play ... I don't mean to complain mind you, just checking if I'm doing something wrong?

- I boot up arma, pull list of servers with "dayz" mission, sort by ping

- look at anything with a green ping (about 100 server) to see there is 'almost' no spot open; the few that I see at 49/50 usually update to 50 the moment I click

- alright so after trying like 30min I finally hit one that seems to work (of course, occasionally faster..or slower); receiving data..at times 10min+ if its not getting stuck completely

- after that server response (just now waited 15min>bug forrest); often its the being a bird thing

So basically when I get home, it takes me 1-2 hours before I usually make it into any particular game...if its a nightserver (I did read the discussion about loving/hating those) I basically have to suck it up because although most seem to say "dont like night, switch server", that isnt realistically working for me (also, I can only ever do that on high ping servers since I cant play much during daytime here).

With all this, Im not even at the point where I add more trouble by trying to meet up with my buddy on a particular server :(

Like I said, not complaining (alpha and all) but is this sort of normal for many/most people?

yes, it is normal. But after you get less picky when it comes to ping, you'll find certain server that load you in faster than others. For example the Virginia servers are usually easy to get loaded in during the afternoon. When those get dark I sometimes switch to ANZ4 which has around 200 ping for me but I get in instantly.

Thanks, tried and you are right..it is a lot easier. On the other hand, while I don't feel like its laggy, it seems a lot harder to aim right at zombies with such a ping, no?

I have the same issues even on the Virginia servers most nights..

I spend hours trying to log on and log back after a death.. with only with only about 15-20% of the time actually playing. Very frustraighting.