Sign in to follow this  
Bettik

So, what's the long term goal for vehicles?

So, first of all, I think this is a pretty fantastic experiment. It's both entertaining and somewhat revealing about human nature. When I say that, however, I don't mean so much about the moral ambiguity that ends up surrounding murder. Mostly, I think this survival simulation ends up putting a microscope on the real crux of human society. It all comes down to the haves versus the have nots.

In the case of Day Z, it's become very apparent that the haves are those with vehicles and everyone else are the have nots. They are the "1%", so to speak. Now, I've heard that the longer term goals planned for the standalone include expanding upon fortifications with the possibility for people to create truly fortified camps/bases. I can see how that gives people something to aspire to and something more to do than just "stay alive". However, with servers that can support 50, 100, 200 players, and such limited spawns of vehicles (that will never respawn unless destroyed), it begs the question: what, then, are the long term goals for vehicles?

It's currently very easy to "vehicle horde", as many have pointed out in these forums. With the vastness of the map as it is (especially when on foot), the possibility of stumbling upon a player camp with vehicles is about as good as winning the lottery. I think it's rather clear that the static nature of vehicles needs to be re-evaluted. While I don't have the answer, I'm sure there is one.

• Like 2

Choppers should help clean up some of these camps. I'm a bit worried about my vehicles come tomorrow.

Choppers should help clean up some of these camps. I'm a bit worried about my vehicles come tomorrow.

You mean choppers will end up in the camps with all the other duped gear?

• Like 1

I agree that it is one of the bigger problems to be addressed, but I have no better idea on how to do so. You don't want to take away the vehicles that are ultimately fairly found and utilized, but you don't want people never have the chance to use them. I'm just really not sure.

In my week or so of playing, I have stumbled upon two vehicles. A motorbike that was out of fuel. The server crashed as I was looking to find a Jerry Can. And a Boat that was out of fuel. I went and found fuel, got in the boat moved 20 feet and became lodged on a sandbar or something.

I say we need more vehicles all together. Never being able to drive one is crappy.

In my week or so of playing, I have stumbled upon two vehicles. A motorbike that was out of fuel. The server crashed as I was looking to find a Jerry Can. And a Boat that was out of fuel. I went and found fuel, got in the boat moved 20 feet and became lodged on a sandbar or something.

I say we need more vehicles all together. Never being able to drive one is crappy.

In the zombie apocalypse, you can't use oars to propel a boat. You can't find bicycles or ANYTHING.

In the zombie apocalypse vehicles magically appear in the exact same place every now and then, and a guy magically appears next to that place every 2 minutes checking to see if its there.

Hyper realism simulation at its best.

• Like 1

the chopers coming will make it much worse now, the ones with the choppers will have all the vehicles

sure, radar is no more, but with two people having L85 thermal to the left and right can see any vehicle MILES away, since they are glowing like a damn beacon even if they are off

the chopers coming will make it much worse now, the ones with the choppers will have all the vehicles

sure, radar is no more, but with two people having L85 thermal to the left and right can see any vehicle MILES away, since they are glowing like a damn beacon even if they are off

You realize the vehicles spawn in the same place every time right?

Thats how they get them all. They just camp the spawn and server hop.

You realize the vehicles spawn in the same place every time right?

Thats how they get them all. They just camp the spawn and server hop.

Wrong, Every vehicle in the game has several spawn locations.

Choppers are also BIG as hell and hard to hide, meaning EVERYONE on the server will be looking for the chopper.

If I had one, which will be likely, it will be used for blowing up Cherno and crashing it into a building.

• Like 1

Wrong, Every vehicle in the game has several spawn locations.

Choppers are also BIG as hell and hard to hide, meaning EVERYONE on the server will be looking for the chopper.

If I had one, which will be likely, it will be used for blowing up Cherno and crashing it into a building.

Again, the spawn points are fixed. Please go to the Dayzdb map and look for yourself. If you server hop enough, the vehicle will be there, then you can drive it off and hide it and laugh at how no one can use it.

Can't wait til you meet the ARMA 2 heli controls. You probably wont blow up anything.

Edited by Jourmand1r

Again, the spawn points are fixed. Please go to the Dayzdb map and look for yourself. If you server hop enough, the vehicle will be there, then you can drive it off and hide it and laugh at how no one can use it.

Several Vehicles have several spawn points, but up to a specific amount will spawn at a given point. For example, the white pickup MIGHT be near Mysh, but then it won't be and sometimes somewhere else.

I have had two white pickups before, Several bikes, motorbikes, URAL, UAZ, and a tractor.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/540680885293367784/EC2620A3A8CFB879301CCD50DDDFD3583779958D/1024x554.resizedimage

Think I have a FAIRLY good idea how vehicle spawns work.

There should be small chance for cars spawning in the roads where the blown up cars usually are, but they would be completely broken and would need serious repair.

Right now vehicles are just duping tools for assholes out in the woods. In time, I hope that vehicle hoarding will somehow be mitigated, allowing a little bit more equal spread of vehicles. It would be nice if finding a car was a rare, but not entirely unexpected occasion. A tool to be used to get from A to B and then abandoned, or in rare cases refueled. Perhaps making jerry cans rare spawns would render vehicle hoarding a little less efficient

Right now vehicles are just duping tools for assholes out in the woods. In time, I hope that vehicle hoarding will somehow be mitigated, allowing a little bit more equal spread of vehicles. It would be nice if finding a car was a rare, but not entirely unexpected occasion. A tool to be used to get from A to B and then abandoned, or in rare cases refueled. Perhaps making jerry cans rare spawns would render vehicle hoarding a little less efficient

Honestly, I think you're on to something. Perhaps the solution is simply to make fuel drastically more scarce. If fuel is more scarce, then vehicles have far less value. It wouldn't be popular AT ALL, but that's only because everyone has already been given their candy, and no one would be happy with it being taken away like this. Furthermore, the storage capacity of vehicles should also be drastically reduced. Something along these lines needs to be done.

The experiment can only claim "reality" as long as things are consistent. As it stands, everything respawns in predictable areas leading to saturation of items -- mostly for the haves rather than the have nots because they have access to quick transportation that comes with a warehouse-sized storage locker built in. The only finite resource in this world are the vehicles. Everything else spawns over and over again no matter what -- from zeds, to weapons, to ammo, to medical supplies. Vehicles are the only things that don't, and that doesn't "make sense". The value of vehicles needs to be reduced in that they are really only effective for fast travel and that they only last for a limited time (fuel scarcity).

Otherwise, there will never be an effective opportunity for vehicles to change hands. In a situation where anyone can just jump ship and try another server, I doubt you'll ever see many servers get a very large consistent population. Ultimately, everyone will continue to server hop until they find unclaimed vehicles.

It's currently very easy to "vehicle horde", as many have pointed out in these forums. With the vastness of the map as it is (especially when on foot), the possibility of stumbling upon a player camp with vehicles is about as good as winning the lottery. I think it's rather clear that the static nature of vehicles needs to be re-evaluted. While I don't have the answer, I'm sure there is one.

Yours is a good post. But the static nature and hoarding of the vehicles actually makes sense in a post apoclyptic sense.

I think the solution for the majority of the playerbase however lies in easily available fast respawning SHIT vehicles i.e. bicycles and also KAYAKs.. kayaks would be fucking sweet for non-server owning proletariat to meet up with friends on the coast without any bs from the zeds along the way and getting sniped from a dude in a shiny pickup truck up a hill with his pro buddies.

same for bikes ya know. they should be everywhere. they should spawn over and over. it needs doing imo.

• Like 1

just go off the beaten track ffs.....stop trolling around chern/eleck and expecting to find a jeep etc... finding camps is easy, same with vehicles. like posters above said check the vehicle spawns. they are regularily just sitting in their internet searchable spawn location...if not have some common sense and go look for them where u would hide one! biggest problem with vehicles is hackers, u can spend hours aquiring a vehicle to save it in a nice safe location for it to be wall hacked in less than a day....p.s above poster your right more Bicycles!!! it makes finding a car soo much faster! if u use vehicles to find more vehicles and fix them is the fastest way legit in game...

Why don't we just make it so vehicles can spawn over and over and over again forever? Or until they hit a limit of like 3/4, 2/3, or 1/1 of the server's player limit? But give them a spawn chance of like 0.05% or 0.10%, either way statistically they'll be the rarest of items, the current rarest, other than vehicles, has a spawn rate of 0.11% and I think it's the GPS.

Whoever owns the choppers owns all the vehicles and all of the tents on any server. Who owns the choppers? The admin.

They need a lot more vehicles in this game. We're talking 100 per server. People will wrech the shit out of them and there will be hulls laying in towns as they should be.

Edited by itputsthelotion
  • Like 1

Vehicles except bikes and perhaps motorcycles should be removed entirely. That includes helicopters. This is supposed to be the zombie apocalypse. Do you realize how much maintenance and fuel it really cost to run a chopper? When the end comes they will all be gone in a few weeks. Same goes for all the military gear. Nice to play with but not realistic. The most realistic weapons in the game are the pistols, rifles, the crowbar and the axe. Oh and lets make the knife usable as a weapon. It's the only fair way to treat the issues imo.

• Like 2

After being in a group that owned a few vehicles it is a really bad state for them.

Pretty much they never got taken out, since they were to risky to lose, practically the only thing we used them for was moving gear from point A to point B if our location got found out.

Even then, they get stolen pretty quickly, Sad that the vehicles are so valuable you dare not take them out for fear you might lose them, pretty much just a storage unit.

With static spawns, people just server hop the spawn points, if your travelling to find the camps with them that detracts from the game in my opinion, much more fun to have to repair a car in its spawn location than just finding it in a camp ready to go.

My suggestion is to make them only be able to store spare parts and jerry cans, since right now, vehicles are a more secure storage space than the buggy tents.

Could also despawn them every week or something to prevent hoarding, since a lot of the time, groups will have a few vehicles but only take out one when they leave camp, say like having two pickups an atv and ural, never use the atv and pickups and only take the ural out.

Basically vehicles right now, are only good for finding other peoples vehicles. Choppers are just unnecessary in Day Z even if they are hard to hide.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

Since the hoarding off the map has been fixed, it's not a big deal to find vehicles. Just get off into the quieter parts of the map and you'll be amazed what you find.