beans

Scripters, Hackers, have more control than me, an admin.

How do i prevent things like this? This is a video and screenshot taken from my server from the last couple weeks from regulars on MY SERVER. I have proof. I have no player names, plain and simple, out of control.

xMPZ6.jpg

If you don't think that's enough i have a 6 page thread FILLED with things like this.

Edited by Beans
  • Like 1

[Redacted]

they don't even need scripts anymore..

Edited by 4L4N
Links to cheat / hack sites

How do i prevent things like this? These are videos and screenshots taken from my server from the last couple weeks from regulars on MY SERVER. I have proof. I have no player names, plain and simple, out of control.

If you don't think that's enough i have a 6 page thread FILLED with things like this.

I do think that is plenty, if enough. However you are missing the point. I am well aware of this 'problem' but it has nothing to do with DayZ, it has everything to do with Arma2 and Battleeye. To catch a hacker takes a bit of work. The few ways I have done it required painstaking work on recording FRAPS, hoping I catch them doing it at the start, watching mass deaths on the video recordings, comparing them to who has died and who didn't die, researching posts. Seeing if names match up, then compiling them together and pushing a ban. Then if a DayZ staff member approaches me, I either provide them with my findings, or simply unban them and try to catch them next time.

This is what you do as a server admin. Its a thankless tiring job and its rough. But this is what we have to deal with and we signed up for it. If you don't like it, all I can say is don't host a server.

Edited by U.B.C.S. Ravin

the only way you can counter that is if you yourself has a hack and use it to police this. this way you can see the hackers teleporting. Server admins cant see who kills who which would solve this problem. but you still cant use he killed me as a justification to ban someone.

You can't stop the inevitable. There will ALWAYS be hackers. No matter how good an anti-cheat gets, there will always be a coder who can bypass it, and there will always be people willing to buy it. The game right now is at a very vunerable state and VERY EASY to cheat in, which is why it is so overrun by hackers. Once it gets better, and programs start to cost more money, there won't be as many, but there will still be quite a few. These players don't care about your play experience, they don't care if they get banned. The best thing to do is play and have fun, you will die no matter what. Don't get attachted to your items, don't stock up vehicles or tents, because you WILL lose it all. Hackers always win, the only games they lose in are the competitive games, in which you have to pay to use an advanced client to login and play. This is just my opinion, if you disagree don't flame me, it is just my experience in a variety of games.

So my suggestion reply's for dealing with hackers that control the server have been:

> Yes, agree with you Beans.

> Be a better admin and watch everything and Fraps everything hoping you catch something for proof.

> Just Deal with it.

> Get hacks myself.

I'm sorry i just don't find any of these but the first, acceptable. This is not the first game i have been a admin for, certainly not the last.

More has to be done.

Edited by Beans

So my suggestion reply's for dealing with hackers that control the server have been:

> Yes, agree with you Beans.

> Be a better admin and watch everything and Fraps everything hoping you catch something for proof.

> Just Deal with it.

> Get hacks myself.

I'm sorry i just don't find any of these but the first, acceptable. This is not the first game i have been a admin for, certainly not the last.

More has to be done.

I do agree you should be allowed to ban hackers. I disagree with senseless banning because you have no solid proof right now with how DayZ works on an Arma2 Engine.

Yes, Be a more vigilant admin. If you don't get mad about hacking, they are less likely to bother you. If you get mad about it, its likely they will continue coming back just to fuck with you.

Yes, just deal with it. The game is in its Alpha stages and we are its testers. You are supposed to keep in mind the various bugs and problems while playing the game. Hackers being one of them.

No, I never said get hacks yourself. You would be an idiot to do so.

Of course you don't find anything but the first acceptable because you would rather complain instead of bettering yourself, then demand DayZ does something when they CAN'T. Arma2 and Battleeye have to do something. If you WANT them to do something, go to the Arma2 forums and Battleeye forums and complain about their engine problems.

If you WANT them to do something, go to the Arma2 forums and Battleeye forums and complain about their engine problems.

Although the problems go hand in hand with DayZ, I will do that thanks for the suggestion. :unsure:

Edited by Beans

I am well aware of this 'problem' but it has nothing to do with DayZ

It actually, quite literally, has everything to do with Day Z. So I stopped reading there.

Edited by zython

Although the problems go hand in hand with DayZ, I will do that thanks for the suggestion.

A lot of the current hacks are long held Arma2 Hacks that work in DayZ. I have heard rumor there are a few DayZ alone hacks, but that's really rare and pointless because then the hackers are limited to easy to find items in DayZ and I believe it doesn't give access to vehicles and other things they find useful. Could be wrong and this is only stuff I have managed to read on the forums.

It actually, quite literally, has everything to do with Day Z. So I stopped reading there.

Sure, They are hacking in the Mod DayZ, but how its done is out of the hands of the DayZ staff who do not work with the Arma2 staff/dev team or Battleye.

Though, rest assured. Battleeye recently updated their clients like a day or so ago and banned a lot of hackers. My servers have been quiet since then and I haven't seen any posts with actual proof of hackers in about twenty four hours.

Its a breath of fresh air.

Edited by U.B.C.S. Ravin

Wait, Beans you are aware of the recent battleeye changes and the heavy amount of global bans that went out, correct?

I don't particularly understand why they took out disconnected, or killed by etc etc. It makes tracking hackers that much harder, there at least needs to be a system for tracking it which allows players to report.

Yes I think having a killed by this person will get rid of hackers quickly. the server admin downloads the logs and bans the members number from his server. All justivication for banning that player is right there in the logs.

And if a server admin wants to ban someone locally from a server that is paid for, I don't like being told who I can and can't ban. Hosing servers for other games in the past hasn't detracted from server popularity for banning asshats and cheaters. Beans brings up valid points, and while Ravin "tries" to make him feel better(I think), he's not really saying anything other than: Tough shit. Fuck off if you don't like it.

I loved getting DayZ, but now I don't bother playing because of the scriptkiddiez out to grief as many people as they can. That's how I'll "play", and I'll be sure to dissuade as many of my Community from following suit. Why bother, if an admin can't do anything?

Something has to change, and so far, I'm not seeing any support from the DayZ folks to address this as priority number 1.

It was a good idea, and I enjoyed testing, but I doubt I'll be playing. That part about ruining reputation has already affected me.

Flame me as you will, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way. I speak for those too lazy to post, or are (lol) afraid of pissing off the DayZ forum mods.

p.s. - Tanks in this "sim" would ruin everything, and aren't even realistically feasible due to the cost/maint it would require. I was a tanker in real life, and that'd be just bullshit to have one. They'd be the first thing taken out by whatever means, by whatever factions started popping up in this wild west showdown it's become: Kill or be killed, not only by Zeds, but by Asshat Anarchists that are out for the LULZ.

Good luck DayZ, you'll need it.

Because DayZ staff doesn't want server admins to be the judges and executioners. Generally, when you host a server you don't control the loot and equipment one person has. DayZ staff has said that if you have a FRAPS of an individual who is cheating and you ban them, report it with the FRAPS, they will not blacklist you.

Basically, all you are doing is 'claiming' someone is hacking because Arma2 servers don't tell you much about anyone breaking scripts or hacking, so ANYONE can deny it, even if you SEE it. You have to have proof. DayZ staff just wants you to provide proof before you start taking away all of peoples equipment, cars, tents, ect. You aren't just removing one person from your server. You are potientally removing a persons entire game if you mess up or just assume. Sadly, A lot of admins DO assume.

So, if I read this right, DayZ staff doesn't trust my judgment as an admin and demands that I provide "proof" (which you admit is nearly impossible to come by) before I can submit a hacker to them for consideration for banning?

How does that even make sense? I've been running servers and adminning games for almost 15 years, and I've never had a situation like this where the devs of a game forbid me from doing anything on my own server. Not even EA went this far with its "Rules of Conduct." The devs must realize that they can't (and shouldn't) do everything. They have to have partners in this venture - players and admins. Right now, this admin is losing faith in their ability to make this work.

As I asked before - why should I bother paying money for a server?

• Like 5

the only people that wil flame you or kick up a stick about cracking down on hackers are people who are hackers themselves. We all want to play the game fair as it it to be played. no one wants hackers comming in off the beach fully geared and killing you every 3 seconds. no fun.

my server we are banning hackers and we have all the proof they are hacking. if staff want to question us then why are they questioning people who do the right thing and play by the rules.

make sure the people you ban are actually hackers as we have by banning people who spawn in a weapon that is not allowed or someone who teleports from 1 side of the map to the other. to find these people it can be done. Improvise, addapt and overcome

As I asked before - why should I bother paying money for a server?

Hosting a server is completely your choice. No one put a gun to your head to do it. You did it because you wanted to do it, correct? If you don't like how DayZ staff have constructed their ToS to handle your situation. Simply don't host it.

You haven't hosted a server where the loot you have carries over to a main HIVE server and controls statics or worldwide stats. How many MMO/FPS servers have you hosted? My guess, None. There hasn't been that many, if any MMO/FPS servers. And if there WAS they weren't connected to one central server like DayZ that controls ALL the loot and equipment.

Personally I believe if you own something you should have control over it, I do understand that Rocket wants everyone to have a fair advantage, and some admins will abuse their power. If I got banned from someones server I would just shrug and switch to another, if I got banned from that one then I'm clearly doing something wrong. I completely agree with full admin control, but this still wont change the state of hackers much, lol.

You own the server hardware, the DayZ dedicated server is not your property, you are allowed to run it, provided you follow the rules.

How many times does this has to be stated? It doesn't matter what you or I think, this is not a democracy, you either follow the rules, or you go home.

• Like 4

Well, thanks for at least replying to the rhetorical question.

The message I'm getting is that I should be a better admin, find proof (which we all agree is next to impossible to find), and hope that the devs do something about that one guy, because they don't trust me to do my job. And if I don't like that, I can just leave.

So, back to my original point, how is this a viable model for longevity?

I'm curious, too. Do you all that are defending the current practice think that this is the best way to go? Do you actually rent/admin servers yourselves?

• Like 4

I'm curious, too. Do you all that are defending the current practice think that this is the best way to go? Do you actually rent/admin servers yourselves?

I do not think this at all is for the longevity of the mod at all... But I also know Rocket has said he doesn't care if DayZ fails or not. Its an experiment. My stance on it? I did ban people for disconnecting to avoid PVP and Hacking and I had DayZ staff inform me I had to unban them or they would blacklist me. I /wish/ Arma2 and Battleeye was much better at their jobs. But they aren't because Battleeye and Arma2 wasn't exactly designed to handle DayZ. DayZ just uses the engine and Arma2 WASN'T that popular until DayZ came along and suddenly made it skyrocket.

Do not think I am 'defending' it. I am stating what it currently is. Its defending in the context of the question, but certainly not my personal viewpoint on it. Yes, I rent and admin several servers, which are linked in my signature. They aren't slotted servers either. Its our own dedicated.

Edited by U.B.C.S. Ravin
  • Like 1

Well, thanks for at least replying to the rhetorical question.

The message I'm getting is that I should be a better admin, find proof (which we all agree is next to impossible to find), and hope that the devs do something about that one guy, because they don't trust me to do my job. And if I don't like that, I can just leave.

I have a long experience of sandbox "pseudo RP" servers on Garry's mod. All of them with no exceptions where managed by douchebags who would ban you because you do not play the way they want to:

-If you would vote against them as chief of police/mayor/other position of autority.

-If you defended yourself as they bullied you.

Basically if we let servers do what they want we will have exactly the usual stuff going on.

clan [TAG] server, dominated by [TAG] members because if you burn their tents or steal their vehicles you will have broken some kind of rule and will be banned.

I do not hate server admins. but server admins are players too and if you admin and play on the same server, in a system where other players can roll over you, you will want to take actions because as the guy footing the bill, you feel you deserve to have fun.

Well, the only possible solution to this is to ban hackers by key. It's ridiculous a server admin can't see who is cheating and the hacker has more control over the server than the admin.

BattlEye needs to be improved to find those hackers. And then the key should be banned.

That's my opinion on this.

Edit: Maybe there are illegal Versions of Arma2 around, since you do not need Steam for Arma2OA to run. I don't know about this, I buy my games legally. But could there be a possibility the hackers have no key?

Edited by subvision

Why would adding a 'killed by' log be too much power for a Admin? Still seems like a viable median.

Why would adding a 'killed by' log be too much power for a Admin? Still seems like a viable median.

I don't think it would be. I think it has to do with because everyone is on the same team "BLUR" and it doesn't show up in the logs due to how DayZ and Arma2 is setup. I am not a Dev and I don't know the exact reason-- that would just be my best educated guess.