mgsloth

Optional PVP

I don't see why they would hamstring themselves by limiting the choices that their consumers have available. More variety means a larger fan base and, generally, a more content fan base. I suppose it really depends on your definition of sandbox.

I understand that meeting people who you don't know and are likely to kill you is a thrill and a social statement at the same time, but that doesn't mean that it should get in the way of accesability to a wider audience. I honestly believe that with the option of creating a PvE server would lead to more people joining and more people staying. In turn, it means more revenue. It all depends on how popular those PvE servers would be.

no you're absolutely right. rocket should entertain every half-baked idea that the forum users throw out there.
  • Like 1

Rocket himself said multiple times, he will never make PvP not mandatory, it will always be a death match, because, why not?

Since I read the plan is to eventually release a stand alone version to sell, I'm pretty sure he will end up doing it when he has to decide between selling 500,000 copies or 1,000,000.

Options give variety, variety gives market, market gives cash.

That's all swell, but now you've got to balance for PvP and PvE, pretty much doubling the workload involved because they're effectively two separate games. Either you've got two separate games, or one of the sides will suffer because of design decisions made for the other side. History has proven this out. Far better IMO to leave it as one game.

The gaming world is chock full of PvE games. Why must they all be that way?

meh i welcome it. i enjoy the pvp aspect of the game but i also hate going for days on end, getting the absolute best gear, only to be sniped in the back by some camper 1000m away. in all honesty i'm actually starting to get bored. only fun i have now when i play dayz is when i go player hunting in the big cities or up north.

Funny how banditry automatically involves a sniper rifle.

They are afraid to go 1 v 1 with a machine gun, ore a pistol

no you're absolutely right. rocket should entertain every half-baked idea that the forum users throw out there.

Most other 'half-baked' ideas aren't optional. They're direct changes to gameplay that would be mandatory to all players. There's a difference between a change and a choice to change.

you know, i think about it more and dayz doesn't even feel like a zombie survival game anymore. i mean the zombies aren't even a threat. you can have 20 on you and lose them in a building/up a hill/even running through dense bushes. take arma, throw in some survival aspects and loot, a few flies buzzing around you... bam! you got dayz. i don't even remember the last time i died by zombies.

Edited by MF Machiavelli

no

Your statements make a compelling argument, I second this clever mans opinion of an utterly stupid and gamebreaking suggestion.

No offense.

And the best decision is not changing a CORE part of the game. Again why do people bitch. If you don't want to deal with PvP go to low populated servers and go to towns that are not hot zones.

Fucking hell.

To be honest, I see very little difference. Both are options to avoid PvP. Both 'ruin' the entire game from your perspective. Both are chosen by the player. The major difference I see is that the concept behind that is different, but only because one is coded and one isn't. They both end with similar results.

Since I read the plan is to eventually release a stand alone version to sell, I'm pretty sure he will end up doing it when he has to decide between selling 500,000 copies or 1,000,000.

Options give variety, variety gives market, market gives cash.

Options can also destroy the core mechanics of the game. Being as there are already over 900,000 people playing the mod, I don't think he will have a difficult time selling finished versions of the game.

Options can also destroy the core mechanics of the game. Being as there are already over 900,000 people playing the mod, I don't think he will have a difficult time selling finished versions of the game.

You'd be surprised. I think after playing the game, lots of people will wait until a while after the game releases, to actually see from other comments what it's like. There will be those who buy it off the bat because they liked the orignal mod, but others will be more careful, seeing if the finished game fufilled the potential they saw the mod had. That and War Z might attract more then a couple of DayZ's followers.