Sign in to follow this  
Sushin

Visible Humanity

I don't know exactly how humanity works, but this is kind of what I think of it: It only goes down if you kill a player with equal or higher humanity than you, or if you kill a player with a certain amount of humanity.

Let's say that the default humanity is 1000. 1 brand new player kills another brand new player and now has 950 humanity. If he keeps killing players it keeps going down, but if anyone kills him, their humanity either doesn't go down at all, or only goes down a fraction, perhaps.

If humanity is visible to other players, you will immediately know whos a PKer by their severely low humanity. Humanity should increase over time, perhaps by 50 points every 24 hours or something. That way kills in self defense against a player with high humanity don't ruin someones reputation.

Think this would work?

While it would be nice to have humanity displayed (especially when joining a server, to see if its just a bandit wasteland), it should not regenerate without doing good acts, as this would just let bandits idle until they could lure people again once their humanity had refilled.

But yes, it would be awesome if humanity was displayed, though perhaps as some kind of skin.

I.E. better camouflage as your humanity increased (woodland camo, or eventually a ghillie suit), and worse as it decreased (eventually leaving you in a dayglow orange prison jumpsuit, since you apparently escaped from a super max pen).

While it would be nice to have humanity displayed (especially when joining a server' date=' to see if its just a bandit wasteland), it should not regenerate without doing good acts, as this would just let bandits idle until they could lure people again once their humanity had refilled.

[/quote']

That's true, but it's also exploitable by having a buddy to do good acts on. IE, if bandaging a player = a humanity increase, you could shoot your friend and bandage him and repeat. A timer isn't as exploitable, but that's just the best less exploitable way I could think to restore humanity. If humanity can get higher than the default by doing such actions, it's even more exploitable.

Why make it clear-cut and black & white? As it stands, you don't know if someone is a good guy or a bad guy. That is a good thing. I don't want to be told "shoot here, kill that".

Why make it clear-cut and black & white? As it stands' date=' you don't know if someone is a good guy or a bad guy. That is a good thing. I don't want to be told "shoot here, kill that".

[/quote']

Because it increases trust between players. It's not black or white either, a bandit skin is black and white, and it's not always true.

The benefit of visible humanity is that it would be something easily turned off by a server if the host chooses so.

players earn one anothers trust by trating each other right, just as in reality

that DayZ has broken with the bullshit frabrication '+ 5 points to light side' that we've endured for the past decade is to its credit

in reality you don't see your 'paragon points' hovering over your head or in your inventory menu, so why should anyone expect it in any game?

players earn one anothers trust by trating each other right' date=' just as in reality

that DayZ has broken with the bullshit frabrication '+ 5 points to light side' that we've endured for the past decade is to its credit

in reality you don't see your 'paragon points' hovering over your head or in your inventory menu, so why should anyone expect it in any game?

[/quote']

In reality people who find sniper rifles during the zombie apocalypse don't climb towers and start sniping the last remaining humans deliberately. People are total assholes in this game for no reason, and it causes good people to be untrustworthy. Yeah, it's realistic, but this is a game. A lot of people prefer the bandit skins for a reason like this. It still would be an optional feature depending on if the server host wanted, and I agree it should be turned off for some severs, but there was a reason that the bandit skin was in the game in the first place.

If other people can't judge the goodness or badness of a person in the real world why do you think an algorithm can do it in a video game?

If other people can't judge the goodness or badness of a person in the real world why do you think an algorithm can do it in a video game?

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. That real world human interaction is the same thing as interaction in DayZ, or that humanity is the same thing as "goodness or badness"

Because neither of those are true.

As I've already suggested in Name indicator thread, a player should have an option to show or hide his nametag which may reflect humanity eithe rby certain colour assigned to a level of humanity or by a raw number included in a nametag.

By this we will eliminate the rediculous nametag spotting from miles away, and people willing to cooperate with others may display their nametag and ask other player to do so. If both players choose to reveal their humanity they can evaluate how much they can trust each other. If someone refuses to show his humanity - well that's a clear signal.

Option to reveal humanity sort of compensates for inability to "look somebody in the eyes" and is a compromise between clear surv/bandit distinction and current situation, with wich I am generally ok anyways.

If humanity is visible to other players' date=' you will immediately know whos a PKer by their severely low humanity. Humanity should increase over time, perhaps by 50 points every 24 hours or something. That way kills in self defense against a player with high humanity don't ruin someones reputation.

[/quote']

I believe the idea is to not have humanity visible in anyway shape or form to others. That way you have no idea if whoever you meet is a good guy or a bad guy, and you have to figure that out yourself, via his actions, your gut feeling, etc.

From what I heard Rocket say on this subject, that's what he wants to aim toward.