Arnoldio

Please stop with anti-sandbox suggestions!

I've done just about everything possible in the game. The only things left to do are to mess with other people in the game.

That' date=' by itself, isn't all that fun.

Sure, you get to play in a sandbox. But sandboxes by themselves aren't all that fun when you don't have buckets, shovels, and water to do things with.

[/quote']

Get an imagination!

Seriously all this iv'e done everything bull is beginning to annoy the shit out of me, me and friends have been playing and surviving since launch and not once..NOT ONCE! have we been bored.

If your finding it hard to carry on because you have explored all the map, shot up a few strangers and finally found that superduper machine gun you've been after, then this game is not for you...head off back to console land, i'm sure EA etc will be waiting with open arms!

For sockpuppet:

People discuss the morality of pvp because of the lop sided weighting toward it in game. The people that discuss it are serious role players that like to take this further than just shooting whoever else it is they see wandering around in a field. The world won't turn into a murder fest. While there of course would be some' date=' simply shooting on sight as frequent as it is now is purely unrealistic.

[/quote']

There is a region of space in EVE online called Providence, that is run by an alliance of role-players. They do not operate a KOS policy, unlike the vast majority of other alliances in the game. Their strict adherence to this and some other aspects of their role-playing culture has hampered their efforts to hold this space, but they have and even when they lost it, they continued to hold to their culture. They now reside there again.

I think a lot of the role-players on here could use a spine transplant.

I haven't played Eve but it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) that it would be a lot easier to gather people together on a common server to do this right? If that's the case no amount of spine transplant will make that system work here since often you cannot play on the same server you always want to - it's full, it's down, not enough slots for your team etc.

That's what makes the idea of safe havens practically impossible for anyone that doesn't want to camp in the game 24/7.

(05-25-2012 07:31 AM)SockpuppetSamurai Wrote: Haven't read all six pages but OP is absolutely right. There are so many tears on the forums from players who want to change the game from an all out survival game to a game that holds your hand in the darkness and comforts you when you get murdered.

Most are from people who should probably just play a different game they complain about ridiculous stuff, Player X complains about the open pvp and the "morality" of murdering other survivors, player Y complains about the temperature system. "It's pointless and a hinderance", player Z complains about everything that makes DayZ what it is and wants designated pvp zones, saved loot when you die, and a fucking cake to eat when you're hungry.. wtf?

I'd like to encourage Rocket to make DayZ even harder, more zombies, extreme weather, maybe some blizzards and shit where you have to find a house to wait out the storm or die. I would like to see this on a map 10x the size where you spawn in a random location and your mode of transportation to where you think your friend on ts might be is a beat-up 1965 Dodge van with an erratic idle and slipping clutch. Morphine doesn't heal fractured bones and a blood transfusion isn't as simple as making a PB&j sandwich. I would like to see a world where a can of beans is worth it's weight in gold and zombies can smell tears from a mile away. I want to hear the cries of pain when you shoot someone over a twinkie that's been baking in the hot sun because you're starving to death and sharing isn't an option. A world filled with zombies of all ages; gore covered child zombies that screech as they run at you causing you to piss yourself, bony elderly zombies that scratch and crawl their way across the ground, ribs and spines protruding through blotchy pale flesh.

Fuck yeah, that's what I want, I want to die in the first fifteen minutes from a zombie horde that makes my ass pucker or from a survivor in tattered cloths with a thousand-yard stare. Then I want to do it all over again. I want to fight a group of morale deprived survivors over gasoline for my shitty van, loot the corpses and continue on my way just trying to survive a minimum of 2 days before I'm eaten alive.

Instead, I read about players wanting more fuzzy bunnies and rainbows, sparkling gear and health potions.

You articulated exactly how I feel. Thank you, and fuck yeah.

For sockpuppet:

People discuss the morality of pvp because of the lop sided weighting toward it in game. The people that discuss it are serious role players that like to take this further than just shooting whoever else it is they see wandering around in a field. The world won't turn into a murder fest. While there of course would be some' date=' simply shooting on sight as frequent as it is now is purely unrealistic.

[/quote']

There is a region of space in EVE online called Providence, that is run by an alliance of role-players. They do not operate a KOS policy, unlike the vast majority of other alliances in the game. Their strict adherence to this and some other aspects of their role-playing culture has hampered their efforts to hold this space, but they have and even when they lost it, they continued to hold to their culture. They now reside there again.

I think a lot of the role-players on here could use a spine transplant.

I haven't played Eve but it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) that it would be a lot easier to gather people together on a common server to do this right? If that's the case no amount of spine transplant will make that system work here since often you cannot play on the same server you always want to - it's full, it's down, not enough slots for your team etc.

That's what makes the idea of safe havens practically impossible for anyone that doesn't want to camp in the game 24/7.

EVE takes place on a single server, the sovereignty mechanics allow to an extent for a defender to set up defensive battles closer to or in their timezone but it does not change the fact that space is at risk at all times from all players.

EVE takes place on a single server' date=' the sovereignty mechanics allow to an extent for a defender to set up defensive battles closer to or in their timezone but it does not change the fact that space is at risk at all times from all players.

[/quote']

Which is fine. There's no question that there should always be risk, otherwise why would we play? Something that puzzles me about aimbotters to this day.

However what I mean is it seems the safe zone idea will never work here as the servers are simply too limited to encourage such a mechanic. I guess when you get obsessive teams doing this they would have to cover all servers which just isn't an option. They would be very temporary placements in DayZ. Temporary as in per session.

Stuff that only make the game more cumbersome and more menial does not make it more difficult or realistic - only boring. So what need to stop is the silly notion that tweaking the game play and making it less of a chore is somehow giving in to the "care bears".

Words like "carebears" and posts about not being one just tells me this mod isn't tough enough yet' date=' not by a long shot. Someone on these forums once said they wanted DayZ to be so difficult with so many zed that when you finally run into another player it's greeted with a sigh of relief, not a gasp of panic. The only way you should be in a position to feel like you are surviving is through teamwork with the random stranger because lone wolfs should find themselves quickly eaten.

Take away "NVG" for example and see how many try-hards turn into whine filled carebears themselves. Make the average server have 2000 or 3000 zombies (rocket said should be possible) and put half of them wandering around in the wilderness. See how many posts about "carebears" happen then!

DayZ should ultimately be a tear factory, for bandit and survivor alike. The only ones that should be having fun collecting food and loot are the zombies.

Moving to General Discussion since the OP does not actually contain a unique, constructive suggested change to the mod itself.

[/quote']

Now THAT I like the sound of! I've only been playing a week and have been eaten a few times due to noobishness, but now I know what Im doing the only real threat is other players. It's too easy to loot some stuff and leg it back to the woods where it's safe. The woods shouldnt be safe at all, no-where should be safe.

I keep seeing various suggestions popping up like safe zones' date=' traders, leveling and so on.

For our sake, this is an OPEN WORLD SANDBOX ZOMBIE SURVIVAL!

The community has already proven time and time again that this is not a Zombie Survival game. In its current form, it's a zombie themed Free-For-All. Survival is infinitely easy and zombies pose absolutely no threat, they are merely a catalyst towards you giving away your position, and you can easily DC the moment you have a 5 second break. There's not even a SANDBOX because all you do is shoot each other. Sandbox implies more than one inevitable outcome.

DayZ is NOT about survival, it's about wracking up noob kills like every other FPS. The game itself backs me up on this, and the instant nuke on sight mentality is just icing on the cake. The game revolves around bandits sitting on the hill in the main towns or airfields and killing people with Freudian sized guns and getting a combat high while they call it "just a game" like, again, IO Battlefield.

This game is not balls out hard, it's not even remotely difficult, you just kill people or die and respawn, NOTHING is lost. The people with balls (which is a minimum requirement) are fenced in to give cowards precedence. If I wanted this kind of gameplay, I would have downloaded ACE because then I don't have to deal with camping on the coast and can actually do something besides snipe on a hill or be sniped. There's no feeling, no mentality in the game, and it all boils down to who can game the system the most.

Stop with the damn suggestions for artificial boundaries for characters. Everyone starts on equal footing' date=' everyone can do whatever they want from there.

Want to be a cook? Go cook your damn meat.

Want to be a medic? Go raid the hospital and heal people.

This isn't Team Fortress 2. Nor is it World of Warcraft.

This is DayZ. A post-apocalyptic survival horror game which relies very heavily on being absolutely unforgiving. Stop trying to change the game to be more forgiving. If you want that from a game, go play something else, or even better, go make your own damn mod in which you are treated like a scared child. Stop trying to change the things that makes DayZ the most interesting and compelling game of 2012.

The entire premise of the game is that at any time hours, if not days of work can be undone by a single bullet from a malicious bandit or hungry zombie. If you don't like that, maybe this game isn't for you.

[/quote']

First of all, I would like to say you're an idiot. Second, IRL different people have different abilities and talents. Everyone can cook, shoot and heal to a certain extent. But each and everyone of us isn't equally proefficient. You have natural talents and you can hone your skills. Hence, I really do like the idea of random starting gear (within certain limits, like not being able to spawn with an m249 or an m107 for example) matching your natural talent (cooks would spawn with the hunting knife, matches and hatchet to be able to cook, for example). And as you would kill/cook/heal you would gain bonuses to those actions you performed the most, as in real life when you practice something often, you eventually get better at it.

Best regards.

Totally agree with the freedom and anything can happen bit, totally dislike any fake game constructs such as choice of spawn etc etc.... but who made the OP the king of the forum.

A forum is a place to discuss stuff, please let's not start censorship.

Oh and btw, rocket can speak for himself, and does. Very active on the forums.

Please stop second guessing and putting words into his mouth. It is really annoying me, it must be totally fucking him off at times.

A least buildings are enterable in wow. =/

To me this still feels and looks like an arma mod. To you that only bought arma for Day Z it will seem quite different.

Arma sp on hardest harder than this, try that out if you want to be hard... core...

Death in Day Z will 9/10 occur when you climb that deer stand ladder to heaven.

Yes:saying is bad. I'm gonna say it right now, if Day Z will as finished product will run, look, feel like arma 2, I wont buy it.

Haven't read all six pages but OP is absolutely right. There are so many tears on the forums from players who want to change the game from an all out survival game to a game that holds your hand in the darkness and comforts you when you get murdered.

Most are from people who should probably just play a different game they complain about ridiculous stuff' date=' Player X complains about the open pvp and the "morality" of murdering other survivors, player Y complains about the temperature system. "It's pointless and a hinderance", player Z complains about everything that makes DayZ what it is and wants designated pvp zones, saved loot when you die, and a fucking cake to eat when you're hungry.. wtf?

I'd like to encourage Rocket to make DayZ even harder, more zombies, extreme weather, maybe some blizzards and shit where you have to find a house to wait out the storm or die. I would like to see this on a map 10x the size where you spawn in a random location and your mode of transportation to where you think your friend on ts might be is a beat-up 1965 Dodge van with an erratic idle and slipping clutch. Morphine doesn't heal fractured bones and a blood transfusion isn't as simple as making a PB&j sandwich. I would like to see a world where a can of beans is worth it's weight in gold and zombies can smell tears from a mile away. I want to hear the cries of pain when you shoot someone over a twinkie that's been baking in the hot sun because you're starving to death and sharing isn't an option. A world filled with zombies of all ages; gore covered child zombies that screech as they run at you causing you to piss yourself, bony elderly zombies that scratch and crawl their way across the ground, ribs and spines protruding through blotchy pale flesh.

Fuck yeah, that's what I want, I want to die in the first fifteen minutes from a zombie horde that makes my ass pucker or from a survivor in tattered cloths with a thousand-yard stare. Then I want to do it all over again. I want to fight a group of morale deprived survivors over gasoline for my shitty van, loot the corpses and continue on my way just trying to survive a minimum of 2 days before I'm eaten alive.

Instead, I read about players wanting more fuzzy bunnies and rainbows, sparkling gear and health potions.

[/quote']

God bless you sir!

Heh' date=' click the link in my sig "Best post I ever read" ;)

[/quote']

With all due respect, you're not helping AT ALL.

Your "best post ever" is from a fantasized nut. NOBODY ON THE FORUMS wants rainbows and hand holding, NOBODY. We got rid of those people a LONG time ago. They were smart enough to realize that DayZ was meant to be hard. But you know what? They were a hell of a lot more polite and meaningful than the assholes we have now.

What we have now is people saying DayZ is all perfect sunshine and roses, while they sit on a hill and harass people for no reason. They want nighttime to stay pathetically black because they've found/duped/hacked in NVGs and know they're unstoppable. They want survival to be easier because they don't want to have to worry about zombies ruining their fun. This is not SANDBOX gameplay. So far, all these updates and fixes have done nothing but make survival easier, I mean we're soon going to be able to run from zombies...what the hell? Is rocket really caving in to the whiny bandits and doing this?

The bandits are the ones bitching and moaning every time something that makes the survival aspect of DayZ or their favorite pastime harder is announced. That's why nighttime is still black, because of Bandits with NVGs bitching that they would lose their advantage. It's why guns and ammo aren't super rare, because bandits moan about how they like PvP. They're so used to being catered to that the second someone comes out with a concept (tension, bandit skin, armbands for clans, make zombies/survival harder, etc.) they jump up and flame people because they don't want to lose their easy PvP kills.

Everyone that is still here knows that PvP free zones and saving gear on dying is not what the game is about. So NOW we have to fight the "OMGURD! Does not like the game!! FUCKING CAREBEAR GO TO WOW!" bullshit that this forum is infamous for. No, really, that's all the mentality this community knows when someone suggests an idea. There's never a reasonable rebuttal, no explanation, just memes and trolling. The forums are not in an apocalypse people, you can be an asshat in game but here is still a public place, learn some common courtesy.

Fair point.

I'm inclined to agree with both statements, understanding their polarity, but seeing both as containing valid and intrinsically justifiable points.

But that's my humble opinion. And I've always been one for merging ideas.

Heh' date=' click the link in my sig "Best post I ever read" ;)

[/quote']

With all due respect, you're not helping AT ALL.

Your "best post ever" is from a fantasized nut. NOBODY ON THE FORUMS wants rainbows and hand holding, NOBODY.

You should have read the whole thing instead of skipping to the last line. It does mention rainbows and fuzzy bunnies but it was in no way a TL;DR line!

Let me recap for you:

Fuck yeah' date=' that's what I want, I want to die in the first fifteen minutes from a zombie horde that makes my ass pucker or from a survivor in tattered cloths with a thousand-yard stare. Then I want to do it all over again. I want to fight a group of morale deprived survivors over gasoline for my shitty van, loot the corpses and continue on my way just trying to survive a minimum of 2 days before I'm eaten alive.[/quote']

That's what I want too but even MORE so. That bandit on the hill, with the NVGs? Let him camp there if he likes... just put the majority of the zombies in the wilderness so he's not just the hunter... he's the hunted.

Bandits enhance the game. I would never adopt camping/stalking tactics as some do, but they create a world that is cruel, grim and unforgiving.

The epitome of Day Z's existence.

That's what I want too but even MORE so. That bandit on the hill' date=' with the NVGs? Let him camp there if he likes... just put the majority of the zombies [b']in the wilderness so he's not just the hunter... he's the hunted.

See, without the anti-"carebear/rainbows" fluff, that's a pretty well standing opinion, but the question is HOW to make it happen?

I'm all for littering the world with zombies, not just the cities. I think that and a tension system for making characters shake after long-exposure near zombies would be an amazing system. It would be interesting to see the rage induced when bandits complain that their rifle of doom can no longer reach out and give them giggles because they have zombies in the area.

Also, one idea I've thought about is kicking players from the server when they die, not permanently by far, but for a couple minutes so someone waiting to join would take their spot and they were forced to find another server. It's an iffy idea, but I can't find anyone to help me iron it out.

I expect the game will become harder.

What I see is fixes and features to help create the foundation for players will have item and options on how to handle things.

With the next patch where Zeds can see through walls- Rocket and team can now start looking how the can make the game harder for play styles. I believe Zeds will be spawning in doors soon.-next patch.

I predict we will see weapons and ammo become more rare

More Zeds

Starting items will decrease to say a gun with no spare clips and possibly no starting backpack

Zeds in forests

Wild animals-hostile

Thirst and food will increase rate

Traps

Some humanity system

Non lethal weapons

Temp system tweaked for getting sick from rain

Tasks that will place players in harms way

NVG have a battery life

And others

I want to see tears from all because what makes the game thilling is pulling the impossible. Surviving by the skin of your teeth. Emotions running high. Bonding with other players , exploring this world knowing you are going to die. That cool new weapon might never get fired before your killed by starvation.

Also' date=' one idea I've thought about is kicking players from the server when they die, not permanently by far, but for a couple minutes so someone waiting to join would take their spot and they were forced to find another server. It's an iffy idea, but I can't find anyone to help me iron it out.

[/quote']

Really intriguing suggestion.

Fair too, I'd say.

Also' date=' one idea I've thought about is kicking players from the server when they die, not permanently by far, but for a couple minutes so someone waiting to join would take their spot and they were forced to find another server. It's an iffy idea, but I can't find anyone to help me iron it out.

[/quote']

Really intriguing suggestion.

Fair too, I'd say.

with some kind of server queue system, combined with being kicked when you click abort too. i like.

maybe combined with a doubling connection timeout. 5 ins - 10 mins - 20 mins.

Rolling 24 hour period.

Nasty

I haven't played Eve but it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) that it would be a lot easier to gather people together on a common server to do this right? If that's the case no amount of spine transplant will make that system work here since often you cannot play on the same server you always want to - it's full' date=' it's down, not enough slots for your team etc.

[/quote']

What stops some one from making a steam group for roleplayers and making pickup games (ie. today let's play on server X)?

PvE players are as big of pussies here as they are in any other game I've seen. No effort WHAT SO EVER.

its funny because, there are bunnies, i have seen a huge rainbow and there are health potions (beans).

suggestions are suggestions arguing over it is stupid ppl should be more criticizing with actual debates as to why said idea is bad or not, going all omg you wowcodfanboi whatever is silly and not exactly helping anything.

i play wow and bf3 and eve and ro2 and fallen earth sometimes, but i see the potential in dayz and some of the subtle features that makes other games compelling can fit in this world without fucking up the atmos.

Well.

Either the mod gets better (Stop calling it a game) or people will begin to fade away. Suggestions on a mod which can be easily taken, altered, and made into anything they want is folly at best. (I also believe DayZ is protected)

Treating this mod with dignity is just disrespectful to Arma II (No one here has actually played the game this mod grows out of, do they?)

Like the Saxton Hale mod for TF2.

Yeah. It's fun. Now I'll go play the actual game this mod grows out of like a tumor. Mind you, a very well done and fun to play tumor.

Though, the reason those mods became successful were from listening to their players. Adding and removing things which were reasonable.

If half your demographic ask for something and you don't give a shit.

You're a piece of shit.