suspense

Rocket/DayZ team - Object cleanup - Are you aware?

Hi guys,

I keep pretty good track of most of the staff posts, and i felt it was time to make this thread as i have not been able to find any word on this for a long time now.

Object cleanup in DayZ, this has been broken for the past 2 patches, Rocket you commented on the fact that it was broken when 1.7.2.3 was released(if memory serves me right) ever since, theres been no word on this.

Are you guys attempting to fix this? Currently, load times on servers that has been running for a while are absolutely horrible, framerates in towns and main cities are terribly low. Overall gameplay performance is dipping drastically with server uptime as long as object cleanup is broken.

Is it possible to get a bit of info on the status of this? Or atleast make us aware that you know this is a big problem?

Regards

Suspenselol

• Like 5

Hi guys,

I keep pretty good track of most of the staff posts, and i felt it was time to make this thread as i have not been able to find any word on this for a long time now.

Object cleanup in DayZ, this has been broken for the past 2 patches, Rocket you commented on the fact that it was broken when 1.7.2.3 was released(if memory serves me right) ever since, theres been no word on this.

Are you guys attempting to fix this? Currently, load times on servers that has been running for a while are absolutely horrible, framerates in towns and main cities are terribly low. Overall gameplay performance is dipping drastically with server uptime as long as object cleanup is broken.

Is it possible to get a bit of info on the status of this? Or atleast make us aware that you know this is a big problem?

Regards

Suspenselol

I dont know you but I have never seen this high framarates in dayZ since 1.5.x.x

Its almost running at solid 60fps and im playing in 60 player server, its full most of the time too.

I dont know you but I have never seen this high framarates in dayZ since 1.5.x.x

Its almost running at solid 60fps and im playing in 60 player server, its full most of the time too.

So am i the first hour/2. When i run in the world and small towns, i have great framerates due to the fact that no bodies are lying around, neither player nor zombie. If you attempt to join a 50/60 player server that has been running for atleast 3 hours, you will be presented with a 2-10 minute loading screen, and very low framerate in cherno/elektro.

And it is happening due to object cleanup.

We spent a few days on our own server, after each restart we went into cherno, killed eachother plus the few randoms that were joining, and after only 20 minutes of deathmatch at the apartments, we instantly dropped 10-40 frames whenever we went near.

It helped to relog into the server, we found that the majority of the framedrop was due to blood still spewing out of the bodies, even hours after they were killed. Reloading removed the blood and increases frames, up until some body we didnt know where were, was spewing blood.

Nothing we did helped on the server loading times, other then restarting the server. Rocket confirmed object cleanup to have an effect on loading times back with 1.7.2.3, and its definatly a cause of low frames too. I am hoping for some official word on this.

• Like 4

Hi guys,

Regards

Suspenselol

+1!

Herro!

I fully support this suggestion.

I also made mention of it in the "Rolling update thread."

I haven't looked if they responded as of yet.

Hi guys,

Regards

Suspenselol

+2!

Restart servers at 6 hour intervals to remove any garbage cleanup problems

We restart our server every 4 hours, and we still experience 2-10 minute + load times during play. It is a serious issue that i hope to shed some light on.

Edited by Suspenselol

We restart our server every 4 hours, and we still experience 2-10 minute + load times during play. It is a serious issue that i hope to shed some light on.

Really depends on the servers. Some servers will take 10 minutes to load even if they just restarted, while others that have been running for 10 hours will load in 30 seconds.

Really depends on the servers. Some servers will take 10 minutes to load even if they just restarted, while others that have been running for 10 hours will load in 30 seconds.

I am not gonna say it is entirely impossible, but i am 99.9% sure it has got to do with object cleanup. Every test i have done has provided the same results everytime, no matter how long the server has been on.

The loading times was worse the exact same day the patch that broke object cleanup was release.

Everytime our server resets, and i purposely go in to kill people to check this, it takes only 10-60 minutes to see the difference in fps, and an hour to 2 hours until the loading times can be felt. And its the same every single time.

Server owners need to restart more often imo. How long does a restart take anyway?

I wish all servers would just do this. Would fix the problem.

• Like 1

Server owners need to restart more often imo. How long does a restart take anyway?

We are already restarting every 4 hours, and that isnt even enough. Remember, this wasnt an issue at all, 2 patches ago. 1.7.1.5 was fluent, really quick load times it all workes great. Until object cleanup got borked.

The issue isnt restarting, we cant restart any more often then every 3/4 hours, or clans end up exploiting constant retards to farm choppers. Furthermore, restarting tends to roll people back a couple of minutes, and if it happens in a desync, even up to 10-15 minutes. This is really frustrating for people logging into the server, shortly before a restart.

The optimal fix is for object cleanup to be fixed, theres no reason to "settle" for less. Im not asking for anythign to be fixed now, all i am asking for is that Rocket is aware of the problem.

I wish all servers would just do this. Would fix the problem.

Like i already said, it does not fix the problem. Loading times degrade on active PvP servers even after 30 minutes, in some instances you sit on a 2-10 minute loading screen even an hour or 2 after a server has restarted.

Edited by Suspenselol

He's telling the truth. When I restart my server, my fps is through the roof. 60 capped. With vsync off around 80-85 and that's on pretty average normal/high settings at 1080p resolution. With fraps running, I get around 40-45 which is perfect for recording. Give it about 2 or 3 hours, and you'll start noticing your fps has decreased by 20% if not more.

Seeing this quite a bit on various servers. US 277 rarely restarts, been running since last night it now has nearly unplayable FPS. Strange that client FPS is tied to server performance so directly.

Edited by Cort

Seeing this quite a bit on various servers. US 277 rarely restarts, been running since last night it now has nearly unplayable FPS. Strange that client FPS is tied to server performance so directly.

Its tied due to the fact that bodies and objects arent removed from the "world" over time. Resulting in masses of bodies/objects/blood/fly effects that has to be rendered and drawn everytime you enter a town or city.

The load times are ruined aswell by the amounts of stuff thats on the server, and in this case, it dont matter where you are loading in, versus where the most bodies are, you load everything which results terrible loading times.

Restarts bring the garbage back.

I cleared out a ton of cat wire in Cherno last night during the wee hours since people don't play so much at night.

Morning server restart....log back in, yay its all back and the sun is coming up.

Issue is, if you actually go through and remove this stuff for the purposes of trying to keep spawns accessible to new players, which I happen to do, restarting your server at all negates all the work you did.

I brought this up in bug reports but the post wasn't approved. It needs to get fixed. The school house in Cherno on my server has area denial on all its entrance points and even some pretty obscenely complex cat wire area denial in the main accessible halls. The place is effectively inaccessible to anyone that doesn't have a toolbox and unless you start spawning people on the beach with a multi-tool in their tools inventory, servers that have been up for a good long stretch are going to have hundreds of thousands of useless objects in play that should, by all rights, decay without maintenance, or at least remain removed when physically removed once by a player.

Happening on all my favorite servers, once they restart FPS is great 60 fps constant, items spawns properly no weird de-syncs, load times are fast, once they keep running for a few hours the steadily get worse FPS, items stop spawning properly, just lost a tent because it didn't sync in my inventory on log-out, loading is very slow.

Server admins really need to have regular restarts until this is resolved.

What were the pre bugged object cleanup patches performance wise? I just took ridiculously low performance cities as a given.

Edited by ZeroRacer

Ah, I had noticed this effect, but I didn't connect the dots. Was playing on a server as it restarted. Logging back in took about 30 seconds and FPS was beautiful for a good hour or so, after that it started to drop. Similar issues on other servers, the longer I play the worse my framerate in populated areas gets. I don't remember this happening before 1.7.2.4...

Aha so it has nothing to do with my connection. Some servers would be super fast and some slow and my fps would vary from hitting and sitting a little above 30 to 50fps depending on the server. Today really annoyed me though. I was in czerno and after some time my frames hit 9fps. My initial suspicion was I am counting limited which I likely am but there is definitely something funky that must be addressed at some point here. I have also observed lagged events on servers where someone dies but their pack is unopenable for a while or where my bottles won't fill with water and suddenly when I am running in some field I start getting text saying my bottles are already full and when I check, sure enough, they're full. Related?

Not asking for fixes, just reporting.

Not sure if my issue is related to the topic.

Point is, that my FPS drops from about 40-60 in the wilderness and small towns to about 10-25 in Cherno/Elektro. No video setting seems to have an effect on this. It gets better for about 10 minutes when I relog.

While DayZ is in Alpha, and theoretically bugs and code cleanup is done in beta, I do not expect any changes in this stage. But where is the content? (just an epic trolling line)

See ya around