Sign in to follow this  
Jacobnovich

Is the ALT F4 in gunfight allowed ?

You are missing the entire point of the arguement. And I am not talking about ALt+F4, I am talking about hitting escape, clicking abort, and logging out, like normal, which is now at the leisure of the person that fires at you.

Edited by Foxd1e

No, I'm not missing it. You're saying that a player determines for himself if he wants to be in a gunfight or not and if a player doesn't want to be in one he can disconnect. My point is that it is an exploit once you're only reason to disconnect is to safe your in-game character from immediately dying while you got ambushed. If a player disconnects and it later appears a plane crashed in front of his house I'm sure we can work something out, and I'll put my faith in the new soon-to-be system which will solve this entire problem of people disconnecting to preserve their life.

Oh shoot I have a funeral to be at, maybe I better squeeze in 10 minutes of day z first, oh no somebody shot at me, and i don't have line-of-sight to them, and they suck so bad they can't kill me, but I'm going to miss the funeral, no,no i gotta stay, because if I logout as normally it will be considered an exploit.

And no I am not talking about ALT-F4 and never have, and yes I know the thread title. I am talking about simple logging off, which is now lumped in with ALT-F4 under the current criteria.

Edited by Foxd1e

Now you're missing the point. If you have a good IRL reason, no problem. We're talking here however at people doing an activity, getting shot at and immediately disconnect as they got ambushed. You're illustrating that there are many good reasons to disconnect at any point necessary and players are not forced to keep on playing against their will as they just get shot at. You're exaggerating however if you think that this is the case with the majorit of players disconnecting, as let's face it, 99% of all players disconnecting during a gunfight will do so because they want only to safe their character gear and continue minutes later or go to another server. For the remaining 1% who may have had a valid reason to disconnect I'm sure something can be worked out.

Also, it may not be a good idea to play Dayz 10 minutes prior to a funeral ;).

Edited by Bravo-Two-Zero

Bravo-Two-Zero you just joined the club, I am now going to remember your name and do the exact same thing, you better not log, even if an airplane landed outside your house, because you are going to be on camera, and since I fired a bullet towards your direction you are now playing at my leisure.

You're going to hate when they fix the exploit. Chances are that there will be some form of timer stoping you from instantly logging out.

You can come to US 30 anytime and try out what your talking about, so easy to elude people when under fire and get to a clear area far away, but you're welcome to try.

Your argument makes no sense.

The odds that something important happens right as you're being fired upon is so slim that I couldn't care less about a death resulting from it.

If a plane crashed outside, the least of my worries would be my characters death in a game where the average lifespan is 49 minutes.

There is no excuse to logging out while being fired at, if something happens that is important enough to pull you away from the game, then why would it matter that you died because of it?

Edited by Badjr

Let me try to improve on that then :P.

You're assuming that there is a thing such as an innocent player in Dayz. Wrong assumption, start over.

When a man got to DC, he just DC's. Only not while under fire, as you are then only saving your life with an exploit which is yet to be fixed in the foreseeable future (next update most likely, as current update is keeping statistics of disconnecting players to come up with the most effective solution, with avoiding as many false-positives as possible.

Well said, you get the beans!!

Now you're missing the point. If you have a good IRL reason, no problem. We're talking here however at people doing an activity, getting shot at and immediately disconnect as they got ambushed. You're illustrating that there are many good reasons to disconnect at any point necessary and players are not forced to keep on playing against their will as they just get shot at. You're exaggerating however if you think that this is the case with the majorit of players disconnecting, as let's face it, 99% of all players disconnecting during a gunfight will do so because they want only to safe their character gear and continue minutes later or go to another server. For the remaining 1% who may have had a valid reason to disconnect I'm sure something can be worked out.

Also, it may not be a good idea to play Dayz 10 minutes prior to a funeral ;).

Yes, I agree, and I am not saying ALT-F4 should be allowed, or that people who quit in the middle of a firefight should get away with no punishment, I just hope the dev team goes about this issue carefully, and figure in those people that really have to logout, for work, or a funeral, or even because they are just Day Z'd out, they should not be forced to keep playing.

Edited by Foxd1e

You're going to hate when they fix the exploit. Chances are that there will be some form of timer stoping you from instantly logging out.

You can come to US 30 anytime and try out what your talking about, so easy to elude people when under fire and get to a clear area far away, but you're welcome to try.

I'll take you up on that offer tough guy. Mano E Mano, no clan, or do you need to bring one to kill one guy? :lol:

Edited by Foxd1e

Yes, I agree, and I am not saying ALT-F4 should be allowed, or that people who quit in the middle of a firefight should get away with no punishment, I just hope the dev team goes about this issue carefully, and figure in those people that really have to logout, for work, or a funeral, or even because they are just Day Z'd out.

Why would you think that people who logout under normal circumstances would be getting punished?

What kind of topsey turvey world are you living in where you came to that conclusion upon reading this thread?

So are you trying to make it seem like this is what you meant all along, or are you trying to retract your earlier oppinion?

Why would you think that people who logout under normal circumstances would be getting punished?

What kind of topsey turvey world are you living in where you came to that conclusion upon reading this thread?

So are you trying to make it seem like this is what you meant all along, or are you trying to retract your earlier oppinion?

What is my earlier opinion please tell me? Because my earlier opinion was that it is wrong that someone who is logging off should have to continue playing because some idiot shot at them and missed.

I'll take you up on that offer tough guy. Mano E Mano, no clan, or do you need to bring one to kill one guy? :lol:

Us 30 Midwest, come play anytime.

Us 30 Midwest, come play anytime.

AADiC your ingame name? Foxd1e is mine. I'll keep an eye out for ya ;)

It's not showing up in the Six Launcher, but ill keep checking so i can favorite it.

Edited by Foxd1e

Yes, I agree, and I am not saying ALT-F4 should be allowed, or that people who quit in the middle of a firefight should get away with no punishment, I just hope the dev team goes about this issue carefully, and figure in those people that really have to logout, for work, or a funeral, or even because they are just Day Z'd out, they should not be forced to keep playing.

I believe some developer said that the issue will be looked into, and that is why all disconnects are now getting analysed to come up with a good solution, which prevents too many false-positives. Yes, some people will get accused and perhaps banned while they had a good reason, so it's probably not going to be waterproof but just as good as it gets. If I start to think what a good solution might look like, I'll bet the preventive system is actually going to look when you log-out of the hive (disconnect from a server) and log-in again to the hive by requesting character data. Set a border of 'X' minutes and you can weed out players abusing and players having a good reason, but question is where to set 'X' as you can flag all abusers and leave people with a good reason alone, but this gets extremely difficult and you will need some probability theories to actually solve this problem, for which you need a lot of data to verify.

What is my earlier opinion please tell me? Because my earlier opinion was that it is wrong that someone who is logging off should have to continue playing because some idiot shot at them and missed.

Cropped it a bit so you could see exactly what I was talking about

But what if someone does not want anything to do with combat at the moment or at all? What if they were just looting in peace, not even killing the zombies around the area just letting them do their zombie thing, and some a-hole and his buddies happen to find him and unload there clips into the place, still manage to not even hit the player, and the player logs out anyways because that's exactly what he was going to do after he was finished looting the place no matter what. There are people out there that just don't want to kill other players period, and I don't think they should lined up against the same wall and shot with the players who puss out in a firefight and log. I'm talking about the people who don't even fire a bullet in response, because they don't want to. Do we live in a world where the guy who want's to kill demand's trump a guy's who doesn't?

Your earlier oppinion stated that players who aren't attempting to kill or fight back at that given moment in time should be allowed to exploit the alt+f4 bug to prevent their death.

Cropped it a bit so you could see exactly what I was talking about

Your earlier oppinion stated that players who aren't attempting to kill or fight back at that given moment in time should be allowed to exploit the alt+f4 bug to prevent their death.

No i was NEVER referring to ALT-F4, and I explicitly said so after because someone else thought I was. I am simply talking about Logging out, via escape-abort

No i was NEVER referring to ALT-F4, and I explicitly said so after because someone else thought I was. I am simply talking about Logging out, via escape-abort

I fail to see a difference aside from speed.

Escape-abort takes maybe 1 second longer than alt-f4

Either way, you're exploiting the game to prevent a death that you deserved.

First of all, that was a what-if scenario, second of all, if someone has to log off, they have to log off, to watch a show or, go to bed for work in the morning, etc and that should not be punished.

Thirdly if someone ambushes me and fails to kill me with the opening shots, then they can count on being blown away. I sympathize for friendlies and carebears tho, they should be able to play this game how they want to play it, it's a zombie survival rpg, apparently most people have forgotten what rpg means these days.

Edited by Foxd1e

As of this update, it can be tracked via the hive and people who do it are helping Rocket create a method of tracking and punishing players who do this.

They keep on doing it, I shot 1 guy in the leg and he quit right when he he went down.

First of all, that was a what-if scenario, second of all, if someone has to log off, they have to log off, to watch a show or, go to bed for work in the morning, etc and that should not be punished.

Nobody said they would be punished, someone would only be punished if they logged out while being shot at.

The odds of someone being shot at while logging out legitimately are so slim that it wouldn't matter.

When I have to log out, I make sure I do it in an area that is safe and out of the way of other players. It isn't a difficult thing to do, and I sure as hell haven't had anyone shooting at me while I was attempting to log out

Nobody said they would be punished, someone would only be punished if they logged out while being shot at.

The odds of someone being shot at while logging out legitimately are so slim that it wouldn't matter.

When I have to log out, I make sure I do it in an area that is safe and out of the way of other players. It isn't a difficult thing to do, and I sure as hell haven't had anyone shooting at me while I was attempting to log out

I'd say that's true most of the time, I think players always have this innate sense of adventure and always want to do one last big thing before they log, like visit Balota Airfield, which of course is asking for trouble if you want to log out there. Your chances of being shot at logging there are much much higher then the woods though.

Edited by Foxd1e

I usually ban anyone if he disconnects during a gunfight while his life was in danger. It is a stupid exploit and should be treated as such.

Difficult thing is, sometimes a person really has to log out due to IRL circumstances (phone call/door bell etc), so I'm just banning for a couple of hours until the next server restart, to avoid a person could come back in the same game. It weeds out most lame persons on our server at least.

[edit]People like this I mean:

Just to be fair, you use 3d view to check over the fences without being seen, that is not fair IMO. (Assuming it is you playing in the vid).

Just get a freakin AS50 people rarely manage to log out :)

One stupid thing about this is when someone logged off enough times from your fire, one might be encourged to do the same.

I'd say that's true most of the time, I think players always have this innate sense of adventure and always want to do one last big thing before they log, like visit Balota Airfield, which of course is asking for trouble if you want to log out there. Your chances of being shot at logging there are much much higher then the woods though.

And that would be their own fault if they were to get shot at there.

Choosing to log out in an area heavily trafficked by players rather than a forest or an out of the way area is their own choice.

If they were to get killed due to anti-cheating measures, then it would be nobody's fault but their own for choosing an area that they'd be shot at while logging.