phisher34

So how do tents work exactly now?

Love seeing this in the changelog:

Object creation completely recoded (tents working 100%)

Is there an explanation on how they work now. Do they follow you from server to server or do they just properly hold gear? If you get DC'd while one is pitched can you still access it when you relog?

All previous tents were deleted (as the tent was being duplicated 100's of times) with this release.

If you have a tent bag in your personal gear, you can pitch a tent. Anyone can access what is in it. When you change the gear in the tent, it is scheduled for updating (unlike characters, which have both scheduled and forced updates).

When you die, the tent stays but you can no longer pack it up. Only the character who created it can pack the tent up. In future, tents will survive a few days after their creator died, before being removed by the server but I'm still trying to work out how best to do this.

Remember: anyone can raid your tent. So hide it.

Also: Tents are LOCAL TO THAT SERVER. They will not spawn in on other servers.

Soon to be released are underground caches which are invisible, a bit more secure to store your stuff. Also, sandbags and defences will be syncronized to the database also and persistent. So you will be able to fortify entire towns. However these will require maintenance so they can stay.

So Will Tents be saved on the server - so if a server crashes or is restarted, will the still be there or will it disappear to be never seen again

All previous tents were deleted (as the tent was being duplicated 100's of times) with this release.

If you have a tent bag in your personal gear' date=' you can pitch a tent. Anyone can access what is in it. When you change the gear in the tent, it is scheduled for updating (unlike characters, which have both scheduled and forced updates).

When you die, the tent stays but you can no longer pack it up. Only the character who created it can pack the tent up. In future, tents will survive a few days after their creator died, before being removed by the server but I'm still trying to work out how best to do this.

Soon to be released are underground caches which are invisible, a bit more secure to store your stuff. Also, sandbags and defences will be syncronized to the database also and persistent. So you will be able to fortify entire towns. However these will require maintenance so they can stay.

[/quote']

Thanks rocket.

Just a question, all these additions will be local only ? Underground caches, cars, sandbags and stuff are local only ?

In fact, what is local only, and what is not ? I don't want to loose everything after a standard server switch, that would be silly.

plz respond

If you have a tent bag in your personal gear' date=' you can pitch a tent. Anyone can access what is in it. When you change the gear in the tent, it is scheduled for updating (unlike characters, which have both scheduled and forced updates).

[/quote']

To clarify. Right now tents are permanent with this patch, they don't disappear after a couple days?

Second, it should be possible for the owner to pick up a tent again if they haven't died, but they cannot if they die? Or can an owner always pick up a tent again?

Third question actually, how many of the different types of inventory slots does the tent have?

When I've used them in the past I can't recall seeing numbers for how many were left open,which led to items getting spit out randomly on the ground around the tent.

I think tents should be tied to the player, with a "last used" timer for cleanup if necessary, absolutely not the character. First of all, because if someone in a group plants a tent for their base camp, and then dies, it's gonna be messy for that group after it despawns, especially if the don't know that will happen. Secondly, many players think of tent as a means of having "player progression", they use them to stock items they might need if they get sloppy and die.

^

True. Tents should be persistent no matter what and not disappear when the player dies Because they're mainly used for that : security and storage if something shitty happens to you.

Another question is: why the hell cant I place a tent in the woods?

I always need a glade or sth, but I cant place it somewhere in the middle of a forrest, anyway if there is enough space or not...

Some good questions.

I haven't had time to test it out yet.

I am also wondering if items move with you when you pack a tent or does that effectively destroy everything inside of it?

or does that effectively destroy everything inside of it?

It most certainly does.

I like everything you said rocket. Is there a way to not count tall grass as a object for tent placement. Should fix the forest issue. Bushes trees yeah no tent but 6 inch tall grass kinda in the way... makes hiding hard.

Soon to be released are underground caches which are invisible' date=' a bit more secure to store your stuff. Also, sandbags and defences will be syncronized to the database also and persistent. So you will be able to fortify entire towns. However these will require maintenance so they can stay.

[/quote']

Any news on how soon this will be released?

I have yet to find a single spot where I'm actually able to pitch a tent

It doesn't matter if the field is completely flat and no tree/bush in sight for 300m, it still tells me I can't pitch it

Yet, I see tents in forests and on angled surfaces with gear in it

Really irritating

Easy:

Hit 'G' and open the inventory, now walk SLOWLY BACKWARDS while crouching and keep hitting 'Deploy Tent'.

How does this work exactly? When my gear menu is open I can't walk (if I recall correctly) and hitting deploy tent is not something that I can spam.

Yes, you can make subtle movements with your backpack inventory open. By spam, what people mean is simply keep trying it, i.e. you do not need to open your inventory each time you try.

After someone steals everything out of my tent I'd just prefer they take it along with them as well. I don't see the point in making tents able to be robbed but not taken completely. Until