TheMachine

Why do regular/recruit servers exist?

Should regular servers exist?  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Should regular servers exist?

• Yes
    • No

After going through this thread, the true issue I see isn't about other servers having these little perks. I see the concern of people jumping on to servers that give you an edge over others and collecting high value items in an easier fashion and jumping onto a far more difficult server.

Those of you who keep saying this is not realistic and that isn't. The game itself is not realistic and everything cannot be 100% real life.

People who keep saying everyone should play on one set of rules just don't like the fact that a player can get stuff easier and jump on to the difficult server. The only way I see this issue being resolved without losing a significant player base is by having a separate character for each degree of difficulty.

As a side note from the server admin who posted earlier in this thread, the owners are in control of settings in each server.

removing things such as 3rd person because, "you have a floating eye behind you is unrealistic", is pretty selfish in my opinion. Just because you bring up an excuse as to why you were killed everytime is pretty lame.

I like using 3rd person and you may like using first, we all have needs and we must do our best to address the concerns of everyone and make the game target the largest group of players as possible. After all, the whole point of this game eventually becoming standalone is to make money and in order to do that, you have to address everyone.

Give a shit enough to tell us how much you don't give a shit, shit?

Shit!

LOL :D

I don't give a shit because i don't play on these "noob" servers that let you see people just with a quick mousescan.

So now i voted "yes" because everyone should be able to if they want.

Edited by Tex Willer

For people who say "You don't like them, don't join them", what keeps a player from getting top gear on easy servers and then coming to veteran/expert ones? Absolutely nothing. It affects all of us.

Where all their gear means nothing if they can't handle it without crosshair, third person and all the things they'll not have on veteran/expert servers. So what? If server hopping will be gone anytime soon, which is likely to happen, i guess, that problem will be fixed anyway.

What's REALLY broken and inappropriate in this game is third-person view.

You know, it's completely hypocritical to your point to assert that Regular difficulty shouldn't exist but third-person-view is fine. You say the game shouldn't be made easier on principle, but then you want the single most advantageous-for-the-player server setting to remain while complaining about lesser settings.

What's REAL broken in this game is first-person-view. If one asks me that is.

It's shaking like you're running through an earthquake, nothing near reality. It's pretty decent for actually aiming, sure. But it's terrible for moving around. Mirror's Edge did not shake you around nearly as much. If that's fixed i'll gladly play on servers without 3rd person. I'll even take all that blurriness when spinning around quickly, which is also far from reality. But all that shaking while moving... naw, I'll pass on that.

For people who say "You don't like them, don't join them", what keeps a player from getting top gear on easy servers and then coming to veteran/expert ones? Absolutely nothing. It affects all of us.

What keeps people from joining 0/50 people servers to get loot? Honestly, "buffing" the zombies isn't enough to fix that problem. Simply taking away regular servers will not fix that. Weapon/Equipment spawns need to be adjusted in order to create "balance". Someone with a vehicle in an empty server can seriously stock up. Veteran server or not. That is a big problem too!

Can we all agree in this thread that there needs to be a change? BUT simply getting rid of a few functions won't fix that. It needs a much thorough polish.

i only play no plates and no crosshair servers

firstly with plates you can accidently spot an enemy over a 1000 yards away just as you are running along, as your cursor passes by chance over that pixel.. secondly for immersion. crosshairs are just phail. ironsights ftw

i only play no plates and no crosshair servers

firstly with plates you can accidently spot an enemy over a 1000 yards away just as you are running along, as your cursor passes by chance over that pixel.. secondly for immersion. crosshairs are just phail. ironsights ftw

Accidentally spot an enemy over 1000 yards away? How do you know if they are an enemy? Not everyone wants to kill you in this game. Your loot isn't that precious to some of us!

Errr, People don't forget this is a game..... you know.... to have fun on.... Play how you want to play, not how others think you should play.

• Like 1

First, get back to CoD. Second, people have their opinions. Third, don't assume everyone likes first person, no crosshairs, no nametags.

Your comment makes no sense. The guy said, servers should be allowed to let people change to 3D person if they want to. He was compleating about Recruit servers which add GIANT name tags on everyone making it easy to spot players that are very far away from you and i agree with him. Playing on Recruit and Regular servers slightly reduces the hardcore exp. of Day Z. Specialy the ones which allow you to see yourself on the map.

Those of you who keep saying this is not realistic and that isn't. The game itself is not realistic and everything cannot be 100% real life.

Care to tell us what is so unrealistic about this game? (Aside from zombies ofc).

People who keep saying everyone should play on one set of rules just don't like the fact that a player can get stuff easier and jump on to the difficult server. The only way I see this issue being resolved without losing a significant player base is by having a separate character for each degree of difficulty.

I don't think loads of people would leave the game if there were no nametags or even crosshairs. A very select few would get too butthurt i guess, but 99% would just accept they actually have to see a guy to know where he is and they can't magically know his distance.

removing things such as 3rd person because, "you have a floating eye behind you is unrealistic", is pretty selfish in my opinion. Just because you bring up an excuse as to why you were killed everytime is pretty lame.

WOW. Great point dude! I've never been killed all the time because I know there always will be some lame player abusing 3rd person when I join such server. The only pretty lame thing here is your argumentation. Saying that it should removed because it's not realistic is not selfish at all. I don't hear people crying out loud because they can't play CoD and BF in 3rd person and I don't see any reason why they should ask for it on DayZ. You can't see shit while you are crawling on tall grass or the top of a building IRL, and you shouldn't do either in this game. You are just crying out because you are used to this kind of bs and refuse to try 1st person. As I've mentioned before, I do think it's to late to remove that since people are too used to it and will just freak out if removed, but IT IS BULLSHIT, no one can deny it. I don't see how that is being selfish. Loads of people cry about the L85 having thermal but don't mind nametags and third person, it's funny.

I like using 3rd person and you may like using first, we all have needs and we must do our best to address the concerns of everyone and make the game target the largest group of players as possible. After all, the whole point of this game eventually becoming standalone is to make money and in order to do that, you have to address everyone.

The game is already hugely successful. It would still be if none of this crap existed from the start. I doubt many people would give up buying the game if it was 1st person only because 3rd person doesn't makes this game special. Realism and tension do. And those are much better experienced if playing on 1st person I must say.

Accidentally spot an enemy over 1000 yards away? How do you know if they are an enemy? Not everyone wants to kill you in this game. Your loot isn't that precious to some of us!

You shouldn't even know they are there, doesn't matters if enemy or not. Completely ruins ragefinders and almost does the same to camo.... Nametags can't be defended.

i see posts about removing crosshairs

why the fuck do you want that?

its impossible to shoot, and in real life, when ur holding the gun, u know where its gonna shoot, in a video game its too hard seriously shut the fuck up

No, it's not impossible to shoot in this game, you have ironsights for that, and they work much better. No you don't know where it's gonna shoot and you clearly have no idea of what you are talking about.

Edited by Panque

Removing those features altogether would be bad, as would removing third person. There has to be some balance involved in standardizing things (as opposed to just saying "okay, the old standard veteran mode is now the only mode"). Making all servers have standard vet settings would make it more balanced, but would also not sit well with a lot of players who prefer other settings. Leaving things the way they are though does promote a small degree of imbalance when swapping servers.

Personally, I don't see that imbalance being too big. When I want to gear up, I don't look at difficulty or settings. I find a night server with 0-2 people on it and safely raid whatever I want to. I'm sure cross-hairs, nametags, and third person make killing others easier on certain servers, but there are other easier (and even less dangerous, in the case of low-population servers at night) ways to acquire an advantage on other servers. In that respect, those features are fine the way they are. If you want to standardize servers, I wouldn't remove them, but suggest some changes.

Nametags shouldn't show range, and should only be visible at shorter ranges. Or use Panque's suggestion to only have friends nametags appear to you. I've had situations where a 4th guy has logged in in the same building my group of 3 was in, and we were unable to tell which one of us was the odd man out until he had killed 2 of us. That shouldn't happen.

Cross-hairs should be there, but only be accurate at very short ranges. After about 5-15 meters, crosshairs should be very inaccurate. They should be for close range combat (like shooting a zombie in the same room as you), not sniping. I don't want to enter iron sights to kill something just outside of melee range, especially if I need to remain mobile.

3rd person is a bit tricky. There are arguments for and against it, and it's hard to take a side. There is no definitive way to say "side X is wrong" here. I can't really comment on this one. It's really more of a game mode than a feature. I guess you could reduce the FoV range while in 3rd person, or lower the location of the camera so you can't see everything from behind a chest-high wall, but I really can't comment for sure here.

Edited by SirDoom

What i think: NO NAMETAGS. Crosshair is alright, but i must have my 3rd person!

Cross-hairs should be there, but only be accurate at very short ranges. After about 5-15 meters, crosshairs should be very inaccurate. They should be for close range combat (like shooting a zombie in the same room as you), not sniping. I don't want to enter iron sights to kill something just outside of melee range, especially if I need to remain mobile.

The thing is that you don't need a crosshair to shoot at that range, unless you are aiming for the head, and even then it's still possible to hit the head without a crosshair at those short distances. IRL you probably won't be able to shoot someone in the head from your hip either anyways...

• Like 1

As a new player,I believe that having (at least)regural difficulty would be a nice addition just to learn the ropes....Then,it depends on the person,if they believe that regular is too easy for them they can move on to a harder difficulty.Options should always be available in my opinion.

The thing is that you don't need a crosshair to shoot at that range, unless you are aiming for the head, and even then it's still possible to hit the head without a crosshair at those short distances. IRL you probably won't be able to shoot someone in the head from your hip either anyways...

True. When I'm firing at that range without using iron sights, I usually go for body shots anyway. Having cross-hairs at that range does nothing more than having a small sticker on the center of your screen would, just to serve as a "your gun is pointed this way" reference point. This isn't really a problem in first person, since you can see which way your gun is pointed. If 3rd person remains in the game, I would probably prefer cross-hairs to stay just so you don't miss the guy in front of you because you can't tell that your gun is pointed just to the left of him instead of right at him.

i only play on vet servers. too bad that narrows down the choice dramatically. 3 out of 5 servers seem to be regular.

:(

As a new player,I believe that having (at least)regural difficulty would be a nice addition just to learn the ropes....Then,it depends on the person,if they believe that regular is too easy for them they can move on to a harder difficulty.Options should always be available in my opinion.

you will learn the ropes even slower. because snipers join regular servers, and dont even have to adjust their sights. they see your distance, and then can see your name tags through walls.

enjoy learning the ropes in electro with snipers knowing your every move.

you only get worse by playing on regular.

Edited by Ganjastar

You're right, they are not exploits, but they can be exploited.

A Server B regular could hop in Server A, exploit the flawed system, and hop back in Server B nicely geared without putting himself in nearly as much risk.

He puts himself at a greater risk going back to server A because on server A he may be found and be exploited back by the same exploits he is using. You forget that when someone goes to a easier server, EVERYONE has the ability to do that there. One does not become a god that is guaranteed items on an easier server.

He puts himself at a greater risk going back to server A because on server A he may be found and be exploited back by the same exploits he is using. You forget that when someone goes to a easier server, EVERYONE has the ability to do that there. One does not become a god that is guaranteed items on an easier server.

Everyone has the ability to hack the game, but servers that allow hacks are banned from the hive. Everyone had the ability to set gamma, but that got locked down, same thing with terrain detail.

Care to tell us what is so unrealistic about this game? (Aside from zombies ofc).

Oh man, where to even begin....I'm not being facetious or trolling; I'm gonna lay out the truth as I see it, because deep down inside, I *want* to like this game and enjoy playing it, but I'm having a hard time accepting that people call it "realistic", because that's pretty far from the truth for something that's supposed to be a "survival/sandbox" game.

Whaddya mean I have to have a canteen to get a drink of water? Why can't I drink directly from the stream/lake/well? Why can't I fill one of the hundreds of empty whiskey bottles or jerry cans with water?

Whaddya mean I'm gonna dehydrate and die if I walk 3 or 4 kilometers? Normal people can go up to 3 days in a temperate environment before beginning to dehydrate. It's not like we're in the middle of the Sahara here....

Whaddya mean I can't use the gas in the aforementioned jerry can and the whiskey bottle to make a molotov cocktail? Rather than trying to assault a building that a bunch of dicks are camping in it, why can't I just burn them out?

Whaddya mean I can actually kill a guy by throwing a tin can at him? What, do I have a 600mph fastball?

Whaddya mean I can't use all these useless shotgun shells to make a fire?

Whaddya mean I can skin a deer with this combat knife, but i can't kill a person or zombie with it?

Whaddya mean I can't bust down a door or window with this crowbar?

Whaddya mean I can walk less than 5km before I starve to death? (Yeah, that's right, I starved to death on a 4.5~ km walk from spawn at Electro walking to Staroye, because I didn't find food at the halfway point, Topolka Dam). It takes approximately 3 weeks for an "average" human being to starve to death with a total lack of food. Most can pull off 4-5 weeks by eating scavenged food (berries, grasses and root vegetables, found fruits and veggies, etc). I mean seriously, there are tons of abandoned farms in the game, but I can't find a single handful of carrots or a couple of beets?

Whaddya mean no one can find a raincoat or poncho in this entire country to keep from getting hypothermia when it rains? Why can't I make one out of my tent? Or the fabric roof of any of the millions of abandoned jeeps I see everyhere? Hell, the Germans were doing that 100 years ago in WWi.....it's called a Zeltbahn if you have no idea what I'm talking about :/

Whaddya mean gravity affects bullet drop and must be compensated for, but other environmental factors (windage, elevation, rain) don't? Why does only one environmental factor need to be accounted for, but not the others?

Whaddya mean my guns never jam or break, despite, the fact I spend all day crawling in the dirt but can't find a cleaning kit to save my life?

Whaddya mean my flashlight, gps, nvg's and other electronics don't ever seem to run out of batteries?

Whaddya mean when I'm crawling through a doorway and try and close the door, and realize that one of my legs is still across the threshhold, that I don't bother to stop closing the door; I just slam it shut and break my leg? Seriously, how stupid IS this survivor?

That's just off the top of my head.

This game is NOT realistic in many, many ways, particularly from a human survival standpoint. That should be a pretty important factor when you're making a survival game. Only the fanboys see it as realistic; people who have lived in the bush see it as a pretty good try, but still flawed in many aspects. As a former infantry soldier who's spent a ton of time in the bush, have gone through survival school (temperate/desert/mountain), and has acted as a professional hunting and fishing guide for half a decade, I think I have a pretty good handle on what's realistic and what's not. This game isn't realistic; not by a longshot.

What you mentioned are missing features and engine limitations, no intentional unrealistic ones that could easily be removed (doesn't even requires any coding). The game might not be 100% realistic, but it's definitively one of the closest games to achieve that, in many ways thanks to ArmA 2's flawed engine.

Edited by Panque

This game shouldn't exist for reality reasons, because in reality most of us do not like or risk to die.

So please shut down the hive server!

Why do we have Veteran servers? why not just have one standard? Because we like choices, and that is the core reason, we find what we like the most and most enjoyable, and stick to it.

While i hate the nametags n stuff i curse at the servers who won't let u place waypoints.

Imo we should have this :

1. 3 difficulty settings, being:

- Recuit (nametags, 3rd person, etc etc )

- Advanced ( all disabled except for 3rd person )

- Hardcore ( all disabled )

2. Character creation allowing 1 character on each difficulty setting.

3. Characters can't move between difficulty settings at all ( so no moving around gear from Recruits to Hardcore )

Then nobody needs to be worried about anything.

People that get their first experience can go play recruit and move up as they please.

And yes, there will be guys overgeared in Recruit killing of new spawns, but thats something that goes with the game.(Maybe there could be a spawnprotection implemented on Recruit servers, that protect spawning players from PK's for the first 5-10 minutes)

Meh thats just my 2 cents.

I'm OK with all of this.

Well thought out. Cross-server cross-level jumping is as much a kid's cheat as anything else.

To the guys whining for more leniency, the thing that made this mod different, initially, from all the other games we could be playing was the realism. That 30% of you go back to children's games if the game was reverted back to its roots seems to mean little to Rocket... serving that level of player was never his intention if I understand him correctly.

The true test will be if financial backers will go along with not making it as commercially feasible as nearly all the other games out there (save for, maybe, Eve Online where you lose your stuff permanently too). Hey, it's about time the grown-ups got a game for themselves, so I agree that the in-game cheats must be limited.

I dont know why people cry about players playing in 3rd person. I personally dont want to trek all over the place in first person getting motion sick because im forced into first person. The screen shakes too much for me for that option. I know the game is about realism but damn people...if this situation actually happened in the real world Day Z would be nothing like it. People wouldnt be running around with a heavy ass weapon like the m107 in a backpack 6 mags, and all the food, med supplies and drinks. Why? Because ounces mean pounds when your carrying a rucksack, weapon, ammo and water already.

But anywho, I think the servers should be able to stay the same. I mean people are paying money to host what THEY want from a server. Find one you like and play there or go pay for your own and set your rules.