Sign in to follow this  
vanq69er

Zombies only spawn once, taking over towns!

HI all,

This has probably been said 100 times but I couldn't find it so here we go;

* Zombies only spawn once when players get close to a town and then after they have been killed they don't come back until players leave the area.

* (if possible) Random zombies raid outside town to challenge positions - Mallissin

* Spawn rate or zombies is increased depending on the size of the town eg. Cherno = constant (current spawn rate), Guglovo = only when players leave - Dabigman

* Items don't re-spawn while players present or a slower rate to encourage resupply by teammates - jeijo25

This would encourge players and clans to take over towns and would also be more realistic.

What do people think? I am sure there might be problems with this but I think it would add to the suspense of coming into a town with razor wire and no zombies :) (maybe make zombie bodies last longer also).

It would also encourage fighting for towns/fighting to reclaim towns (teamwork/sieges (sp?)) and not having to worry about re-spawns wreaking the fun.

Edited by vanq69er
  • Like 3

Only if a random zombie raid outside town happened ever so often to challenge the position.

It'd be nice but chances are, realistically "holding" a city is impossible because nobody is going to be online ALL the time, so another clan could just roll right in and occupy it, popping off the trickle of players who log back in over time.

It'd be more like a suicidal version of a "King of the Hill" gameplay with no victor.

Plus I don't think the mechanics can handle it, but what do I know?

well what about places like cherno or elektro where there are always players.Then the cities would be empty of zombies because you would only have to kill them once.

I think its an epic idea. But Mallissin's right there'd have to be zombie attack's every once and awhile and I'd think items wouldn't respawn if city was taken over. Just to make it more fair for others cause then they could just farm all the loot without zombie's lurking right behind em

Edit: Dabigam's correct as well. Maybe your idea would only work for small towns or cities? IDK :D im not rocket :P

Edited by jeijo25

Good suggestions guys, love the raids idea to keep it interesting. Also item spawning would have to freeze but that happens already doesn't it? I have never seen an item spawn when I am around.

Badger, your right about not being able to hold it forever but that the idea, would be a challenge to see how long you could hold a town and would encourage survivors to band together to overthrow a clan/group.

I think your right about small towns only, cherno and electro would have to just constantly spawn (like now) which makes sense because it had a bigger population. The bigger the town the quicker the spawns??

Ill update my main post with suggestions

Kind of on the fence with this. I do hate when I come into view of an enterable building in a city/town, with no zombies in sight, then all of a sudden 10 zombies spawn and come out of the side of the building, shambling towards me.

I think prolonged gunfire should make zombies spawn faster, so as you're trying to clear a town if you don't do it right it would be a never ending quest and the bigger cities have a harder respawn curve (either literally in the code or because of the size of the area for the zombies to spawn).

But if you do to it right and do in fact clear a town or city, the zombies should always pose a threat in some way that can be managed somehow.

This has potential, I think. Similar to the concept I posted before I read this (oops!).

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/49367-zombie-population-base-building/

In any case, I like the idea of being able to, in some way, clear an area. People being able to respawn into your claimed land is something I haven't really figured out either, but I think it's a problem worth solving.

I would love to see bases eventually but I think what we have suggested could be implemented easily now (i think lol) with the engine in its current state (non-standalone). Would love for rocket or a dev to comment on this?

In da big cities there should be a ratio of 1 to 10 ratio of players to zombies,

and also the better weapons they have - the higher it goes up.

Not sure about last part (might fuck up servers big time)

Can rocket or one of the devs please comment on the zombie spawn rates and if this suggestion is indeed possible with the current state of the ARMA II engine?

HI all,

This has probably been said 100 times but I couldn't find it so here we go;

* Zombies only spawn once when players get close to a town and then after they have been killed they don't come back until players leave the area.

* (if possible) Random zombies raid outside town to challenge positions - Mallissin

* Spawn rate or zombies is increased depending on the size of the town eg. Cherno = constant (current spawn rate), Guglovo = only when players leave - Dabigman

* Items don't re-spawn while players present or a slower rate to encourage resupply by teammates - jeijo25

This would encourge players and clans to take over towns and would also be more realistic.

What do people think? I am sure there might be problems with this but I think it would add to the suspense of coming into a town with razor wire and no zombies :) (maybe make zombie bodies last longer also).

It would also encourage fighting for towns/fighting to reclaim towns (teamwork/sieges (sp?)) and not having to worry about re-spawns wreaking the fun.

Are you fucking joking me ? Have you ever fired a lee enfield bullet in a city ? The zombies never stop comming ..endless zombies unless you use "low noise" weapons to kill them.

Infact what it should be like really is that a certain number of zombies spawn in a certain place ..and thats it ..If you kill them there dead untill a player leaves. None of this endless spawn of zombies if you use high noise weapons. Its the most unrealistic thing ever.

Edited by Massicor

i agree.

if i manage to pick off all/most of the zombies in the vicinity of the small town i want to loot etc, they shouldn't respawn until i'm 2-300M away again.

especially as a solo low level player with an axe or whatever, if you manage to pick them all off, or snipe them from a distance then then move in, you deserve a little peace and quiet!

same thing in the large cities. if you manage to clear an area, it should stay clear for a bit!

this idea is like prohibition... its a really good idea, but it won't work. i like the idea though u should message it to rocket or something idk