Sign in to follow this  
bw.shuggoth@gmail.com

performance thread for low end computers *stop using wrong settings for your rig*

ok so im not going to explain you how to optimize your computer or your game files since those threads are all around.

i just wanted to make things clear about low computers specs what to do and what to avoid.

in my case im having and old intelcore duo e8400 +4gig ram + ati radeon 4850 pro.

this is a very crappy config to run dayz but i noticed that i still can get better fps than some people on quadcores... (i have 25/40 fps all time except on crappy servers 9/8fps)

i tried every optimization threads available out here , on armaholics , on pastebin . i tried them all.

what pisses me off is those guys saying bullshit like : set your frames render ahead on 1 and you will get performance...

Wrong : in case of a low end computer , changing this setting will give you a huge drop of 10 to 15 fps.

i mean WTF those guys dosent even know what it does , they just read it was cool and give performance to some people so they say "do it". so many people did enable those tweaks without even knowing what it does and without knowing it would kill your FPS on a low end computer.

so im gonna explain here what optimizations SUCKS on low end computers and which ones are working great.

i seen many guides that reccomand to update your MaxFramesAhead DetectedFramesAhead to the value 1.

this is correct in case of high end computer that would have a bottleneck or some latency issues but in case of low end computer this is not something to do , it will get worst if you are not having a monster rig , or a bottleneck rig , dont change that setting and let it by default (1000/1)

now lets speak about the launching parameters ive read everything and tried them all , they all recommand to go for maxmem=2047 and in my case with 4gb ram it should be ok to allow but no . its just not , the game is such badly optimized that my game starts to eats more and more memory and the only good parameter is to run smooth is : "no parameter about memory" remove that damn line. if you are having 2gig to 4gigs ram.

so here is the best 4 things that gave me majors fps boost on my low end computer :

-seting shadingquality=0 in the arma profile : ok ok we all know this one..

-maxframes & detected frames = (default 1000/1) changing this setting will fuck up worst if you not having bottleneck or monster rig. LET it by default !!

-removing the line maxmem=2047 from my dayz launcher. let your memory settings by default !!!

edit your profile file and change sceneComplexity to sceneComplexity=160000;

-using best driver for my ati card (in my case 12.4whql instead of last version 12.6 if you want more informations on ati driver benchmark check here : http://benchmark3d.c...ne-26-benchmark

-atoc , this one is optional but everybody say you should set it to 0 or 6 , in my case there is absolutely no fps difference between all atoc mode

set it to 7 and make your eyes rebirth ;)

lowering shaders gives fps

using default frame ahead gives fps

removing memory tweak line in launcher give fps (if you have 4gigs it will just use more memory than usual and the game will start to have huge fps drops after 50minutes playing (which remembers me all those guys who cry that the game dosent run smooth after 20/50minutes , maybe the problem come from here...)

changing scene complexity will make your gpu render less informations 160K instead of 300K wich means fps gain too

went from 15 fps to a 20/45 fps wich is awesome for a dual core when i see people with quads getting 6fps.

the game run smooth in forest , and is a bit harsh in electro but the game is playable !!!

(my settings : texture normal/ memory normal / terain detail :very low / object details: very low/ anti aliasing : low/ vsynch : off , post processing : off)

my screen is running native 1680x1050 but this resolution is quite to big to run smoothly so i went down to 1400x900 and i adjusted the 3d pannel to a higher resolutions i also noticed that tweak gave me few fps and is the total opposite from what i am reading everywhere.

hope those tips will helps people with low end computers

dual core running 30+ fps in nature with AA enabled beats monster rigs with everything turned off.

trust no one , trust no guide, experiment and explain !

(ps : i also forgot to mention that i looked at the benchmarks of every ati drivers to define wich one was best for arma , and in case of my gpu the best drivers are 12.4 whql (maybe not for you depends on your card)

Edited by bwarky

i've tried EVERYTHING!

ati hd 5570

intel pentium e5400 dual core @2.7

6gbs of ram

would any of this info pertain to me?

man, i used all of these, and dead zero settings, including resolution to 50%, and i get like 25 FPS

the screen resolution is 1280x720, as i refuse to have the black bars on my screen.

Edited by omgwtfbbq

It's really hard to understand your post man.

I agree all these random numbers and such not really explaining ht they are I personally am not a computer wiz so I have no idea where some of these settings are even being set from

the only reason why i understand this post (for the most part) is that i saw another post that told how to excatly do it. wat u need to do is go to "my documents" to "Arma 2". then there should be 5 files. open all of them except for the "Saved" folder, using notepad. and u can just edit it right there in notepad. i took me awhile to actually figure out which ones to edit in each folder. but it wasn't that hard to find them. and i can't remember where they were, sorry. but i tried what he had said to do and it didn't work, like not at all. so it might be that my computer is better than his, but not by much. so if there r any other suggestions, please inform me

Edited by jholl505
  • Like 1

Very confusing post :]

The graphical conf must be tweaked by two type of users: nVidia's users and ATI, because some conf are non-lost uber fps gain for Nvidia and is nothing for ATI(and vice-versa) .

Most recent GPU don't fell any difference from low to normal texture, and some conf like AA, AOS and shadow in low can even provide you better fps as if it was disabled, there's some low hardware implemented algorithms that provide these boost for K frames, and disable it some times make the circuit to use a hight and longer density way to another "frame process".

And the Vsync is a lie to your self, it provide you more fps because theses fps isn't synchronized with your monitor refresh frequency. So it's hight provable that your losing GPU load, as these frames *isn't* displayed in your screen.

A good option would be to set video option to low, and start to increase conf until your fell beautiful and good fps (about 35-42 fps, any thing hight than this ISN'T processed by your brain, that only process 24 fps, so the 9-18 fps is to movement lost, like when you miss some action looking to wrong directions) .

Arma2 have a Benchmark in single player> bootcamp. So you can tweak video option and test it. Testing in servers isn't smart, because you are metering you latency and jitter together with your gpu fps count.

=]

A good option would be to set video option to low, and start to increase conf until your fell beautiful and good fps (about 35-42 fps, any thing hight than this ISN'T processed by your brain, that only process 24 fps, so the 9-18 fps is to movement lost, like when you miss some action looking to wrong directions) .

funny thing ur saying "confusing post"

its nice that you try to help poeple, but your post is the most confusing i read since a while.. awful grammar and context, what do you want to tell us about vsync ? do you want to imply to turn on vsync ? NEVER turn on vsync, it eats a LOT of your gpu power and reduces fps drastically.

ur right that the brain cant process more than like 24fps, BUT that has nothing do to with the frames rendered in COMPUTER games. theres CLEARLY a difference between 40fps and like 100fps. its a CLEAR difference. ( test it yourself, play a random game with 40fps and then 100fps ;) ) its smoother and reacts faster, i played several first person shooter on professional level, trust me. u can aim and move WAY better with more than at least 85fps. i usually try to get at least 100 fps, cause minimum input rate for the mouse is usually 125hz, so anything below around 100fps decreases ur ability to aim fast and smooth.

no offense dude ur just wrong, test it for urself, and then stop telling wrong facts.

I was running at 5 FPS at most and this got me to 8...

could it be my RAM? I only have 2 GB..