Sign in to follow this  
NovaDose

The last Bandit thread you will ever need

Yeah, yeah, what the fuck do I know, right? I did a quick search and didn't see anything along these lines even though I'm sure it's been suggested at one point or another.

A leader board for bandits that displays number of kills, days lived, etc. The more infamy you accumulate the more people will hunt you (survivor groups and other bandits alike). This dynamic comes a long with a new item, the ear necklace. Every BANDIT kill you get becomes another ear on your necklace. The necklace itself has no in game value and is just a trophy basically. Any kind of value would be strictly in trade. I can see several potential dynamics arising from this.

1.) these trading post, medical services, and repair shops that you see popping up. perhaps ears can be used to trade there as well as mountain dew and beans.

2.) to prove your kill if you get contracted to kill someone. contract killing could be quite lucrative.

3.) to rub in that filthy bandits face while you call him a bitch after you turn the tables and kill him.

Best part about it, the most popular a person is on the bandit leader board, the more their ear could be worth. Imagine having that guy's ear who had been #1 for almost a week. It would be like a wanted dead or alive type of thing.

This will not only give people a reason to try to not be on the list, but give someone who doesn't give a fuck about the list something to work towards (if you want to be bad, then why not be the best at it right).

What say you forum? Bump and give beans if you like, call me names and flame if you do not.

• Like 4

Sounds pretty cool - even more incentive to kill bandits! But the fact that it's an ear is quite gruesome - could it not be that every player has dogtags that you could loot and add to a chain? That way it would be more realistic to claim that you've killed the notorious bandit, instead of just clutching some deformed bloody ear xD

Yeah, now that you mention it dog tags aren't a bad idea either. I've got an additional suggestion in light of the dog tags. Bandits collect ears, survivors collect dog tags. The more ears on the bandit, the more people you know hes killed. Dog tags and ears dont need to be looted, they are auto-magically added to your character's file.

And yes, I heard the D2 ear drop sound. *squish* eat that you bone spear spamming cock sucker... lol

Anyone else hear the old Diablo 2 ear hitting the ground noise when they read the OP?

Yes actually I did. I was coming in here to mention something abou that.

I wouldn't trade you my beans for 100 ears, what the fuck would I do with ears? Why do people go into such retarded specifics? What you are asking for is a bounty system so just say it. You don't need some garbled rubbish about fricking ear-necklaces!

Your suggestion should be this long: "I want there to be a bounty system for bandits: they would be more valuable the more murders they have committed. There could also be a ranking table and some kind of object you loot from their corpse as proof of kill."

There is already a bounty system for bandits, it's called "bandits have all the good shit". :thumbsup:

Yeah, yeah, what the fuck do I know, right? I did a quick search and didn't see anything along these lines even though I'm sure it's been suggested at one point or another.

A leader board for bandits that displays number of kills, days lived, etc. The more infamy you accumulate the more people will hunt you (survivor groups and other bandits alike). This dynamic comes a long with a new item, the ear necklace. Every BANDIT kill you get becomes another ear on your necklace. The necklace itself has no in game value and is just a trophy basically. Any kind of value would be strictly in trade. I can see several potential dynamics arising from this.

1.) these trading post, medical services, and repair shops that you see popping up. perhaps ears can be used to trade there as well as mountain dew and beans.

2.) to prove your kill if you get contracted to kill someone. contract killing could be quite lucrative.

3.) to rub in that filthy bandits face while you call him a bitch after you turn the tables and kill him.

Best part about it, the most popular a person is on the bandit leader board, the more their ear could be worth. Imagine having that guy's ear who had been #1 for almost a week. It would be like a wanted dead or alive type of thing.

This will not only give people a reason to try to not be on the list, but give someone who doesn't give a fuck about the list something to work towards (if you want to be bad, then why not be the best at it right).

What say you forum? Bump and give beans if you like, call me names and flame if you do not.

So it would be like the Fallout 3/NV Finger/Ear system. Pretty cool.

I wouldn't trade you my beans for 100 ears, what the fuck would I do with ears? Why do people go into such retarded specifics? What you are asking for is a bounty system so just say it. You don't need some garbled rubbish about fricking ear-necklaces!

Your suggestion should be this long: "I want there to be a bounty system for bandits: they would be more valuable the more murders they have committed. There could also be a ranking table and some kind of object you loot from their corpse as proof of kill."

There is already a bounty system for bandits, it's called "bandits have all the good shit". :thumbsup:

I would gladly trade my beans for the ear of someone who I knew for a fact had shot me. Why are you upset about "retarded specifics"? I didn't force you to read this post. Besides, leaving out the part about ears would make my post sound kind of bland...actually. Hey! It would have made it sound as bland as what you've posted, isn't that ironic! If all suggestions where trimmed down to one or two sentences then no one would really flesh out their idea.

@OP: How will I hunt the infamous bandits? Search servers meticulously for a matching player name? Once I find their server, and get a person in my crosshairs, how will I know if it's them without killing them and inspecting their corpse?

Without other supporting features, this idea would not cause players to single out bandits, it would only add encouragement to take potshots at anybody in the hopes that they happen to be a bandit and drop an ear. But more than anything, it will give certain people even more drive to kill mindlessly, in hopes of getting their name on a shiny list.

So it would be like the Fallout 3/NV Finger/Ear system. Pretty cool.

It would be, if you had any way to tell who's a bandit. Since DayZ lacks Fallout's "HURR DURR IM A BURRNDIT" nametags and obvious voice/mesh/texture/scenery markers, I can't see how this system could work.

Edited by Flambo
  • Like 1

@OP: How will I hunt the infamous bandits? Search servers meticulously for a matching player name? Once I find their server, and get a person in my crosshairs, how will I know if it's them without killing them and inspecting their corpse?

Without other supporting features, this idea would not cause players to single out bandits, it would only add encouragement to take potshots at anybody in the hopes that they happen to be a bandit and drop an ear. But more than anything, it will give certain people even more drive to kill mindlessly, in hopes of getting their name on a shiny list.

So you have a better idea?

Sorry I was a bit harsh because I've been trawling through dozens of retarded ideas before I read this.

I still think you've over-explained a fairly simple idea and it is often better to leave some things undecided to allow for discussion. I do actually like the idea of every player having an unique item to identify them (not just bandits), I would even go more gruesome and suggest using their head! This is easier to identify and could perhaps be stuck on a spike as a warning to others.

How does one hunt a bandit if you don't even know what or who you are looking at?

Really should play on a server that doesn't have tags on. makes the game much better.

( e.g you hover over a survivor in a bush and it says SURVIVOR DAVE 190M )

pretty much in full agreeance with flambo

Edited by Charb

I read the topic as, "The last Bandit thread you will never need."

I was disappointed to read it again.

they tried a bounty system in eve online, basically any player could put a bounty on another player.... it failed completely, players would just have their friends kill them and collect the bounty.

heres the big issue

I want gear, but I have none.... so me and a friend keep killing each other to get the "ear" trophy count very high until we have enough kills.

The last Bandit thread you will ever need

Hah.

EDIT: typo

Edited by Strogg

Hah.

Yeah not gonna lie I'm feeling up for another Bandit thread right about... nnnnnnnnnnow.

Oh look, another one.

• Like 1

Yeah not gonna lie I'm feeling up for another Bandit thread right about... nnnnnnnnnnow.

Oh look, another one.

Haha, yeah every day there is at least one thread proposing some overly complex solution to banditry, usually through incentives to kill bandits/not kill survivors or the institution of moral systems that tell you how you should feel for hurting the poor widdle players.

• Like 1

Haha, yeah every day there is at least one thread proposing some overly complex solution to banditry, usually through incentives to kill bandits/not kill survivors or the institution of moral systems that tell you how you should feel for hurting the poor widdle players.

Seriously, no joke. I do a video series about being NICE to random people I meet, even if it means my own death. If I was trying to sport expensive medical supplies around with good will, shooting me is a great idea. Blood bags for days.

I hate getting shot out of the blue with no chance to defend myself, but that's what makes it exciting. It might feel like bullshit but that's life. Someone gets the jump on you and then you die and if they did it without hesitation (which a lot of people would in the desperate need for supplies), they probably wouldn't feel a goddamn thing.

Some men just want to watch the world burn, after all. Not everyone feels bad about kicking your sand castle. It's a very sad fact of life.

So you have a better idea?

Am I required to have a better idea before posting constructive criticism? If I were going to put forth an idea for dealing with banditry, it would be something along the lines of "give players an immersive way to tell who's who", "make ammunition scarce enough that it won't be wasted on profitless kills" or "give players the ability to adopt non-threatening body language for their character, so that you can easily distinguish would-be murderers from the peaceful survivors, because only the murders feel like having their guns out all the time."

Or something like that.