whiteneko

Zombies aggro from 50+ meters

Date/Time: July 27th, 2012, 12:40 PM

What happened: Zombies were spotting me from 50-70 meters away when I was moving in prone.

Where you were: Stary Sobor

What you were doing: Just started entering the town

*Current installed version: 1.7.2.3/Beta 95248

*Server(s) you were on: US 1356

*Your system specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor

Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS M4A88T-M LE AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply

Comment: It happens on any server I play. It gets annoying when I am looting a building and I hear a zombie start to aggro me, then they glitch through the wall and kill me. Its hard to move around town alone, but with another person it gets even harder.

• Like 6

I can confirm this behavior!

Date/Time: July 27/28 - all day.

What happened? Zombies are extremely over-sensitive. I've gained aggro while crouched, 50+ yards away from a zombie, motionless. It makes avoiding them so as not to have to fire my weapon in highly populated areas almost impossible.

Where were you?: Anywhere on the map

What were you doing? Just standing there near a tree in proximity of a medium value industrial target.

Current installed version: 1.7.2.4

Servers: US 369, US 287

Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4

Radeon HD 557

8GB G-Skill 10200 DDR3 (4x2GB)

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Comment: Happens on all servers - zeds are just WAY too sensitive! Perhaps it has something to do with the fix for them not hearing weapons any longer?

• Like 1

This maaaaaybe intentional.

From what I can tell they only go agro from miles when they look in your direction.

I hope its a bug, I don't want to prone my way into cherno. ;)

If you are on their line of sight, not on the shadows and on flat (no grass) land, then they should spot you quite easily, even while prone/crawling... Try using tin cans to make them turn around or wait them to pass by...

I've been posted up on a hillside with a DMR and watched as a zed from 200 or so meters turned to me and charged my direction. I waited untill he was within a 100 meters to shoot him just to make sure he was really going after me. I've also seen random zombies in the field aggro to nothing and run 50 meters then stop for no reason.

Speaking of zombies has anyone noticed that on some zervers the zombies will be behaving like normal and just freeze? They'll still make noise and turn to you but the wont walk or aggro.

I also feel that sometimes the zombies have huge aggro radius.

Speaking of zombies has anyone noticed that on some zervers the zombies will be behaving like normal and just freeze? They'll still make noise and turn to you but the wont walk or aggro.

Seen this once or twice too.

I've seen that before, in many servers... i dont know why it happens, but i grab any loot thats near me and book it out the server just in case its a sign of a server restart. I really dont know why this happens.

This happened to a lot of us too, we were crouch-running like 200m away of a zombie which was turning his back, and he saw us... Same shit repeated over and over again.

Same with a winchester shot, on an isolated zombie, the whole town came to us (over 40+ zombies wtf!), yesterday it worked just fine. What happened?

The zombies freezing is a bug that I've found a few reasons for. One is firing a really loud weapon near them but proned or something. They don't technically know where you are(even though they should) so they just freeze. Another is if players disconnect near them, a few in a group will freeze while others continue as normal/disappear.

I can confirm this, happened to me a bunch since 1.7.2.4, even when it's pitch black they can see or hear you from far away and god forbid you fire a gun, jesus christ!

• Like 1

I've been posted up on a hillside with a DMR and watched as a zed from 200 or so meters turned to me and charged my direction. I waited untill he was within a 100 meters to shoot him just to make sure he was really going after me. I've also seen random zombies in the field aggro to nothing and run 50 meters then stop for no reason.

YES and YES

I like to do some recon and I have witnessed the same thing, also stationary zombie servers are the shit lol.

Zombie freezing was kind of cool. I ran around elektro with only a hatchet and started chopping zombies. xD

It does get annoying that they can aggro from so far. It does make it more realistic, but having being spotted from 50+ meters through building or being prone in tall grass is what bothers me. Who ever thought that zombies has xray and hawk eyes. o.O

I tried to wait for them to pass, but only instead turn around and aggro.

Edited by whiteneko

Yeah, happens alot to me even when slow prone walking and through buildings and objects.

Seems to me the yellow cab caped ones do it most.

I get aggro the most by the one the crouches, I call them crawlers. :)

same thing happened to me, i thought he was chasing someone else when i saw him run across town just to try to hit me, surprisingly none of the zombies infront of me even saw me

• Like 1

Zombies also have bat-hearing. Myself and another player were aware of the super-hearing and were leading zeds well out of town before shooting them. We somehow managed to pull aggro at ~200m by firing a makarov! I made the mistake of firing my Mk48 (normally 180m audible range) and aggro'd every single zombie in that goddamn town.

Edited by _Gunslinger_

I've had it way over 50m. The game is pretty much unplayable until this gets fixed, for me at least. I want to explore, loot, and avoid zombies. That is what the game is about, and none of these things are possible until the psychic zombies are gone. Either that or make them walk everywhere, not sprint. Like traditional zombies.

• Like 4

If you are on their line of sight, not on the shadows and on flat (no grass) land, then they should spot you quite easily, even while prone/crawling... Try using tin cans to make them turn around or wait them to pass by...

ROFL, I cant throw a tin can 1000km It would land in between me and the zombie.

ROFL, I cant throw a tin can 1000km It would land in between me and the zombie.

Yeah, it would be hard to throw a tin can 1000km... specially considering chernarus' area is around 200km²...

Is this not the random chance of being discovered mechanic that was added a few patches back?

[NEW] Exponent driven probability introduced into visibility calculation

Edited by chipdemon

I honestly think the Zeds having spidey senses is stupid as crap. They are undead husks of humans, not super mutants.

Then others are totally retarded.. More than I can count I have had zombie pass by so closely that I killed them with an axe without ever having them go agro. But then again I have often lay prone, surrounded by Zeds only to have the one that seems the farthest away go agro. He just gets the chop is all ( I never take a gun when scavanging. Guns are for killing other players)

Fsh

I get the feeling that zombies aggro way too easily since build 1.7.2.4. I've been completely prone and at a reasonable distance and still have them aggro me from a random direction.

Completely agree, the zombie aggro range is making this game shit, I was prone crawling about 30 meters from a zombie, in the grass in pitch black, it sees me... with 1 bar of hearing only.

Seriously what even.