Sign in to follow this  
BigComfy

Map Notes

I just want to know, if you are killed and someone takes your map, do they have access to the notes you put on it? I marked my campsite not thinking about this possibility.

-Comfy

The map markers are visible by all on the server.

You dun goofed.

The map markers are visible by all on the server.

You dun goofed.

Is this always the case? I have tried to test with friends and none of us could see one anothers map notes... I have also noticed when I have seen map notes from other people, I can delete them. Not sure if maybe exiting the server saves your notes at that point or what.

Everyone can see map markers of the same team/ Since we are classed as being on the same team, and in the same group, we all see the same markers (and we can delete them too which is funny to annoy people)

I've looted maps with markers on them, so now I'm curious. I've never really payed attention to it.

Everyone can see map markers of the same team/ Since we are classed as being on the same team, and in the same group, we all see the same markers (and we can delete them too which is funny to annoy people)

If I wasn't lazy I would have written something like this.

It is funny seeing a map marker that says camp (can't tell if it's a trap though).

I've looted maps with markers on them, so now I'm curious. I've never really payed attention to it.

The map is not a physical item usually, its part of everyone's game if you play the military version. It is linked by default and everyone automatically has one.

Supermarkets are often packed with tools, aren't they? I only find one in Electro I think, and it had many matches, hunting knives, a tent... but no map. And now I don't know where it was anymore haha, don't you just love DayZ.

So after quite a struggle, i found a map, and took the marker off, ahaha, and i got back to my camp and everything is still there, the guy had over an hour of me respawning and mucking about trying to find a map to get up there, so hopefully its all fine. ahaha

Supermarkets are often packed with tools, aren't they? I only find one in Electro I think, and it had many matches, hunting knives, a tent... but no map. And now I don't know where it was anymore haha, don't you just love DayZ.

It didn't have a map, so you got lost? That's kinda funny.

So that's how maps worked. I always thought those marks were just admins being wonky or some kind of odd glitch with Hive giving me someone else's map. Now that I know what they are, I can make heads or tails of 'em. thanks for the info. I might just mark landmarks on the map every now and then, just to be helpful. "lighthouse" "Radio Tower" maybe even those flimsy stand things I stumble upon in the woods.

From my observations this is how I think maps work: The server has X number of maps. When you find a map, it randomly assigns you a map object. You might get a brand new one or you might get a marked one. So anytime you acquire a map, you get a map object from the server. I believe the intention is exactly what you were worried about. Someone kills you and gets your info. But it seems to be random at the moment. I have marked a map, died, and when I found my corpse the map was different. I have logged out and logged back in to find a different map in my inventory. A way to test it. Mark a map, drop it on the ground and then pick it back up. Is it the same map or a new one?

I was playing on one server, and I checked my map. Someone marked Green Mountain as 'Magical Trevor and his whips'.

Needless to say I lol'd and stayed the hell away from green mountain

..things I stumble upon in the woods.
Haha, like the strange crashed nuclear missile that is in the woods near Kamenka? Edited by disorder

There are two ways to add a map marker, single and double click on the map. One click is a waypoint which only you can see and double click is a marker on the map. The double click marker is visible to everyone in your chat channel, so if you set it to vehicle or direct other people should not be able to see it.

This is a quote of the Arma manual:

Map markers

Pointing out enemy forces, plotting routes or assigning artillery targets are a couple of the things you can do with map markers. By double-clicking anywhere on the map you start placing a map marker on that location. This marker is visible to everyone in the selected chat channel.

While placing a map marker you can enter text to go with your marker. The 'Up' and 'Down' arrow keys will select another type of marker. If you also press and hold the 'Shift' key when pressing 'Left' and 'Right', this changes the marker's color. 'Enter' finalizes the marker and places it on the map. A marker can be deleted by hovering your mouse cursor over it and pressing 'Del'.

Whilst it is convenient to just ask a question and wait for an answer, more often than not you could just use google to answer your question faster and you will probably learn some other things in the process.

From my observations this is how I think maps work: The server has X number of maps. When you find a map, it randomly assigns you a map object. You might get a brand new one or you might get a marked one. So anytime you acquire a map, you get a map object from the server. I believe the intention is exactly what you were worried about. Someone kills you and gets your info. But it seems to be random at the moment. I have marked a map, died, and when I found my corpse the map was different. I have logged out and logged back in to find a different map in my inventory. A way to test it. Mark a map, drop it on the ground and then pick it back up. Is it the same map or a new one?

This is wrong.

Edited by thisisbleep