ScottishOwl

Why does everyone want me dead?

This has been happening over the past couple of days. Who isn't a bandit anymore?

Apart from groups of friends using voice ip, friendships made ingame between complete strangers is now almost unheard of.

I had a situation today in the elek supermarket, i was looting for food and drink with a broken leg, a crowbar and a makarov, when a man comes in with a lee enfield and a g17.

I saw him first, and typed "Hey" in the chat, he turned round and noticed me and fired two rounds, i thought it was out of shock so I sayed "Im friendly don't shoot" and done a salute.

He backed behind the supermarket door and what I thought was him firing out of shock and stopping, turned out just to be a empty mag, he reloaded his gun and began spraying at me and I was forced to shoot him.

Whys everyone so hostile?

Shooting on sight, is shite.

• Like 7

Edited by ImBotLOL

I've been shot and killed too many times in this kind of situation to not shoot on sight. Trust no one.

Edited by Burt_Reynolds
  • Like 1

I've been shot and killed too many times in this kind of situation to not shoot on site.

Yeah, but because you've been shot on sight and you start, people who you shoot on sight will start to shoot on sight. and people they shoot on sight will...Yeah you get the idea.

• Like 2

Mostly because they would be bored otherwise. I shit you not. There are people who get more fun from the risk of helping someone than the risk of killing everyone they meet, but you have to make an effort to find them.

By make an effort, I mostly mean "get shot a lot".

yep, dayz is a doggy dog world isn't it

Dog eat dog. (not sure if joking...)

Edited by Flambo
  • Like 4

Honestly if you typed it out I would have shot and looted you too.

Voice comes and hearing someone actually makes me think about what I'm going to do.

I play a survival of the fittest. You were weak and injured, saw no value in keeping you alive, and I did see value in your gear so I would have shot too.

Who isn't a bandit anymore?

Today I met a nice guy, Ive been chased by some zombies and he helped me out with his hatchet, and instead of killing me, he showed me his place where he had alot of food medicine and a hatchet for me!

This feeling is just godlike when someone helps you even if you didnt help him first :]

Hell even someone that say friendly to me isn't going to have much luck, I had a hatchet at balotta airfield, was in a hangar minding my own business, and a guy walks in, almost right up to me before noticing, and say "Oh shit, I'm friendly I'm friendly," so yeah, I just left him alone and turned to the aggroed Zed he bought in with him, then as I ran towards It he shoots me, for what, an axe? After meeting a bunch of dicks like that, you generally turn to a KOS type of attitude.

• Like 3

Listen if you aren't a hunter you should travel in packs for safety.

Look up the story of the scorpion and the alligator I think it is.

Short story, but great point.

This has been happening over the past couple of days. Who isn't a bandit anymore?

Apart from groups of friends using voice ip, friendships made ingame between complete strangers is now almost unheard of.

I had a situation today in the elek supermarket, i was looting for food and drink with a broken leg, a crowbar and a makarov, when a man comes in with a lee enfield and a g17.

I saw him first, and typed "Hey" in the chat, he turned round and noticed me and fired two rounds, i thought it was out of shock so I sayed "Im friendly don't shoot" and done a salute.

He backed behind the supermarket door and what I thought was him firing out of shock and stopping, turned out just to be a empty mag, he reloaded his gun and began spraying at me and I was forced to shoot him.

Shooting on sight, is shite.

Maybe they don't like your face?

Actually its more than likely he thought you might be lulling him into safety...only to shoot him in the head when he turns his back on you.

Its the nature of the game and unfortunately those brave enough to be friendly are the ones who get burned the worse...

At least if you adopt a shoot on sight policy you can defend yourself....although this becomes a circle of mistrust and you get to a point where everyone shoots on sight.

Edited by BoomStick
  • Like 1

I am almost strictly PVP for the fact that there is nothing but players to fear in this game. if killing Zeds was more fun, and more of a challenge, i would do that, but as it stands, zombies are too weak, and not a threat at all. i can get 15 - 30 player kills before i even am forced to kill 20 zeds, they are just too easy to escape from...

Dont go to the dark side.

Dont kill other players unless you know they are not friendly.

Watch players, stalk them to see what their intentions are.

Ive met a few friendly players.

Its just luck, dont go for kill on sight, if you follow their lead you will just make the game worse.

Edited by thelonewarrior
  • Like 4

since its usually 4 of us together we will only shoot if its 2 or more. yesterday we ran into 2 guys in stary and they started shooting at my friend so i had to pop them both. They thought they had the upper hand, not knowing their was 3 of us close by. Usually when its 2+ their gona fire at 1 person or 2, especially in stary lol. We hate shooting on site, but depending on what area you are in you may have to shoot...unfortunately.

Dont go to the dark side.

Dont kill other players unless you know they are friendly.

Watch players, stalk them to see what their intentions are.

Ive met a few friendly players.

Its just luck, dont go for kill on sight, if you follow their lead you will just make the game worse.

If there is 1 thing that you do or don't do is let other people tell you how to play.

The whole point of dayz is the game is what the players make it.

Play the game how you want to play it.

If you want the game to change you need to change it. Group up, help new players, teach them and have them pay it forward.

Punish bandits by traveling in groups, stick with a pack mentality.

Or

Shoot on sight and increase your chances of survival at the cost of your morality.

These are choices you need to make.

YOU are responsible for changing the game because Rocket already said he won't do it for you. Players balance the game, not him.

• Like 1

Maybe he thought you were American at first but then he noticed you were Scottish then he turned around and started spraying you?

Thanks for all the responses, but honestly. Adopting KOS myself is not something I want to do. The game turns more into a deathmatch than actual interaction.

• Like 4

This game isnt played how people make it, they are forced to eiether play it by killing other players or dying......or quiting all together.

There is no choice

A few of us are making a stand against this and trying to bring some form of co-operation back to the game, there needs to be a balance between killing and grouping up, its 99% shoot on sight at the moment

Edited by thelonewarrior
  • Like 8

I haven't shoot any other player in a while. Let me describe my 5 encounters, resulting in 2 murders, 1 death and 2 get-away!

1- I'm in a barn, I hear someone coming in by truck. He has a weapon. I kill him. Was him or me.

2- I admit, my friend and I hunted a player, after stalking him for 10-15 min. We though he had some loot, he had nothing. Sorry for that.

3- Was looting north of Electro, had a nice noisy shotgun. I see another player at the end of the barn. We saw each other. Nothing was said, I ran to loot another barn then I ran a in the forest. Nobody got hurt.

4- I was in Solchiny when another player entered in the barn I was. We talked a little bit. I was suspicious but I didn't shoot him. Instead, as we were heading up north, got shot by a sniper. Not him. Was it his friend? I'll never know.

5- My friend and I were north of Cherno when we saw a lonely survivor escaping zombies. We killed the zombies and let him go!

So, it really depends on the situation. But for the sniper thing that happened to me, I might just shot the player before I get killed!

Yeah, I hate when people kill you, even if you're friendly. But some people want gear so much, so they'll shoot on sight.

• Like 1

This game isnt played how people make it, they are forced to eiether play it by killing other players or dying......or quiting all together.

There is no choice

A few of us are making a stand against this and trying to bring some form of co-operation back to the game, there needs to be a balance between killing and grouping up, its 99% shoot on sight at the moment

So there is no choice, but you're choosing to play in the manner the I described as being a choice.

Gotcha, good argument.

There needs to be something done to encourage team play a bit, no question about that. It's a complex issue however AND whatever is done will not significantly reduce killing on sight. A friend of mine got the game recently and I've been helping him to learn controls and basic day z stuff. Yesterday we played for the first time, communicating via Skype we figured out he was in Elektro. He entered a fire station and while searching for loot he encountered another human player:

Friend: Some guy just entered the building!

Me: Is he armed?

Friend: He has a crowbar...

Friend: Hehe, he is saluting me.

Me: Nice, ask him if...

Friend: I got him!

Me: What?

Friend: I shot him.

Me: Why??

Friend: .......

Even though our plan was not to play as bandits, and certaintly not shoot unarmed people, he still shot the guy even though he only had a crowbar and appeared to be a friendly. When I asked him why, he couldn't explain, just said his instinct was to kill him. For some reason this seems to be the case with most people.

Following your instincts is part of the game.

You shouldn't be encouraged to play one way or the other

YOU have to shape the game, rocket already said he isn't going to balance it for you.