Sign in to follow this  
kayakinack

Need a Requirement to Warn When Server Will Restart

Unannounced server restarts are constantly screwing with my inventory. I don't mind losing a few beans even some ammo, so far 3 different server restarts on 3 different servers in the past few weeks have made an M107 disappear, an AS50 disappear and all parts for repairing a vehicle disappear. If a server restart will jumble people's inventory then it needs to at least be announced a few minutes ahead so people can log out. Maybe I'm an idiot but if a person can restart their server can't they type a quick message that says hey restarting in 5 min. A lot of servers have designated times they restart according to their MOTDs, some say restart every # hours, which isn't helpful without knowing when the last time was (which so far none that I have seen this message on have given a last time restarted message)

Edited by kayakinack

I type when i'm restarting my server manualy. I give 5 mins for people to save vehicles and tents.

But my scheduled restarts? Nothing I can do about, Except put the motd message stating server restart times.

• Like 1

It is a reasonable request.

The servers I play on either have set times or admins who do us the the favor and let us know. Doesn't stop tents being fucked up though, but that is a rant for another thread lol.

If that is common practice on the servers you were on to just dump everyone, then that is pretty shitty. Never know, could be bad timing with a crashed server.

I type when i'm restarting my server manualy. I give 5 mins for people to save vehicles and tents.

But my scheduled restarts? Nothing I can do about, Except put the motd message stating server restart times.

Scheduled restarts are fine as long as they are accurately announced and timed.

It is a reasonable request.

The servers I play on either have set times or admins who do us the the favor and let us know. Doesn't stop tents being fucked up though, but that is a rant for another thread lol.

If that is common practice on the servers you were on to just dump everyone, then that is pretty shitty. Never know, could be bad timing with a crashed server.

It could be, but damn that bad timing is really cramping my style.. now I have to hunt for some more camps to find me a new sniper.

Some do.

Yep, and some don't. My issue is with the ones that don't.

Mine is in MoTD and I can't get BEC to work with scheduling messages. Still get people bitching.

I got requested by the regulars to have at least scheduled warnings before a restart, so now the server gives a 30 minute count down to a reboot. There's not much room for excuse for not having it when It's fairly easy to do now with the new scheduler built into BEC.

Normally we do this on our server. Sometimes though BEC stops working - then there is no possibility to announce anything.

In general BEC is the worst admin tool for a server i have ever layed eyes on. You cant configure anything its just take it or leave it.