Sign in to follow this  
SixZoSeven

I am a beginner. Tips?

So, hi people. I am new to DayZ and just got done playing a "session" I still cannot always tell which buildings I can and cannot enter. I was so happy when I found a hatchet and I just found my first gun. A revolver... Do you "pros" have any tips for me on how to survive, fight zombies, and find better gear?

i'm far from a pro, but scope out the windows of buildings before you check doors to see if you can enter them. if you can, windows should be transparent. try to memorize what these buildings look like, as they are repeated across the map.

if you are standing up and running, zombies will not be able to land hits on you as they will have to stop to attack.

it's often better to not fire your gun than fire them, discharging firearms alerts players and zombies (at least when zombie ears get fixed next patch) to your presence.

stealth, stealth, stealth.

get away from the coast asafp if you want to survive, if you're looking for firefights then the coast is a good place to stay.

if you are new to arma 2 and not just dayz, run through the single player boot camp missions to familiarize yourself with the controls.

don't get attached to your gear, expect death, try not to get frustrated, and good luck out there.

• Like 3

if you want to survive in the wilderness, you should look for the following:

-Map for identifying your location, and where to go next.

-Compass, to find N/S/W/E

-hatchet, to chop up wood for making fireplaces to cook your meat

-hunting knife to gut the animals you hunt, meat gives 800 blood. (no need for blood transfusion while solo)

-matches, to light the fire ofcourse.

else you would wanna just get some weapons, all weapons are effective against zeds, except for the crowbar.

And if Zeds are after you, try running into buildings with 2 exits(may take time to get the buildings to know) but once you figured, then running in and out of buildings makes the Zeds just walk inside the building makeing and escape from them easy.

Edited by Tatakt

Well, I suggest really getting to know the map. However, this takes time. You can't just review it once and get it down.

(before I start, you can enter any place that you can see through the windows)

The areas along the coast with the best loot are Balota airfield (rarely spawns exactly what you need, so isn't the best), Cherno, and Elektro. I'm aware there are some other places that may have good loot, but these are the main 3 places when starting out. However, be VERY careful as they're all major PvP zones no matter what.

Once you have some decent weaponry, I suggest going up north. Be EXTREMELY careful doing so, as you'll see places like Stary Sobor, NW Airfield, etc. that are usually a lot more dangerous than the coastline cities.

Hope this helped to start out.

Soon, you'll have full gear within 30 minutes of when you spawn, and most of that is travel time :P

Firstly, enjoy your first hours or wonderment.

I would recommend taking time to familiarize yourself with the controls.

Spend a few lives figuring out how to avoid dying. Don't worry a out dying for about your first ten hours of playing. Learn how to not aggro zombies, how to do it on purpose, how to jump up and run someplace safe when they make THAT noise, even if you aren't looking at them...

Any main weapon (rifle,mshotgun, &c.) is serviceable. Some are better at shorter or longer range, but as long as they can hold enough ammunition (I'm looking at you, double-barreled shotgun), you'll be fine.

Refine your weapon choices and collection as you learn more and see fit.

As for houses and loot spawns... Either figure it out yourself, which is more rewarding, or find a map online that shows loot spawns and use it.

if you want to survive in the wilderness, you should look for the following:

-Map for identifying your location, and where to go next.

-Compass, to find N/S/W/E

-hatchet, to chop up wood for making fireplaces to cook your meat

-hunting knife to gut the animals you hunt, meat gives 800 blood. (no need for blood transfusion while solo)

-matches, to light the fire ofcourse.

else you would wanna just get some weapons, all weapons are effective against zeds, except for the crowbar.

I did manage to get a hunting knife and a hatchet. I am not sure where I am but it looks like some old industrial shipping port. (best name i could come up with) I really want to find some sort of vehicle... What should I do now? Do I stay and look for more stuff (lots of zombies around me) Or do I tread off into the woods?

since people are mentioning maps, this one is pretty good if you don't want to have fun wandering around learning the map on your own:

http://dayzdb.com/map

it's also helpful to familiarize yourself with real life orienteering practices, such as following contours, being able to read topo maps, etc. also learning how to find the north star (if you don't already know how) is very handy for navigation when it's dark out.

Edited by p1n34l

Don't sped much time in towns. Get on a high ground, locate lootable buildings, and then loot them and get out.

Look at an online map, some think its cheating, but I don't. learn the map and you will be able to wander around without getting lost.

learn what buildings look like so you know what buildings are lootable and which ones have good loot.

sprint in forests, crouch walk inbetween towns, prone in towns.

keep ammo in your gear and food and water in your backpack.

avoid industrial buildings like factories and warehouses unless you are trying to repair a vehicle.

shoot first, ask questions never

since you are new I'd avoid sniper rifles

remember: while an AK-74 without ammo may seem tempting, a low tier rifle (like a lee enfield) with ammo is better.

for the commonly found residential weapons the list from best to worst is: crossbow-doublebarreled shotgun-winchester-lee enfield.

for shotguns if you have to choose between slugs and pellets, choose slugs.

for common pistols from best to worst (opinions vary but this is my opinion): makarov-revolver-m1911

avoid the coast, but this mainly applies to anything west of electro.

Listen for gunshots, and stay in cover. Remember even if a player isn't moving they may have only passed out.

when you have good gear head to stary sobor and the Northwest airfield, but watch out because they are filled with bandits.

avoid zombies whenever possible

and most importantly have fun

Edited by theguy8882
  • Like 1

Don't sped much time in towns. Get on a high ground, locate lootable buildings, and then loot them and get out.

Look at an online map, some think its cheating, but I don't. learn the map and you will be able to wander around without getting lost.

learn what buildings look like so you know what buildings are lootable and which ones have good loot.

avoid industrial buildings like factories and warehouses unless you are trying to repair a vehicle.

remember: while an AK-74 without ammo may seem tempting, a low tier rifle (like a lee enfield) with ammo is better.

for the commonly found residential weapons the list from best to worst is: crossbow-doublebarreled shotgun-winchester-lee enfield.

for common pistols from best to worst (opinions vary but this is my opinion): makarov-revolver-m1911

Listen for gunshots, and stay in cover. Remember even if a player isn't moving they may have only passed out.

when you have good gear head to stary sobor and the Northwest airfield, but watch out because they are filled with bandits.

This may be me, but I find the controls for interacting with gear and picking up and dropping items a bit clunky...

Edited by SixZoSeven

This may be me, but I find the controls for interacting with gear and picking up and dropping items a bit clunky...

don't worry. you get used to it.

I would gladly go duo with you and teach you if you need help. Also if your going solo.

I would gladly go duo with you and teach you if you need help. Also if your going solo.

That would be cool.

On another note: I dont see that many people in-game. First person I saw had nothing and was being chased by zombies. I also had nothing and we both ended up getting killed. The second time, I was just walking past these huge military sheds/hangars and saw a lot of dead military zombies. I started to hear gunshots. There were three shots in total and were about 5-10 seconds apart from each other. (From what I know, that suggests some type of bold action sniper?) The third shot ended up hitting and killing me.

Edited by SixZoSeven

I don't understand why people say to get a map, the ingame map blows as most servers don't mark players positions and whatnot. Just use http://dayzdb.com/map as a map. Whenever you need to use it just prone in a safe place and alt+tab.

Update: I feel I am getting much better at this game. I currently possess a bus, UAZ, some m107's, as50, a few ak's, L85 with that thermal scope, a few fn fals, an fn fal with a thermal scope, night vision goggles, m249 saw, alice pack, and lots of beans.

Edited by SixZoSeven

If you are shot at, call friendly. Never call friendly if you just see them, they may be bandits.

My usualy plan on being killed is to head for Elektro-whatever and loot the firestation and factories there. Usualy you will also find a gun lying about in town so pay attention.

Hi There,

My strategy:

When i just start fresh i tend to rush to find my first loot, i mean what do you loose if things go wrong in the first hour :) Zombies can hardly get you if you keep running, be adviced to find a spot to kill them, for instance in an entrable building, also to loose zombies in the field find a steap hill or run true dense forest breaking the line of seight to you.

Learn what buildings are enterable.

Use your ingame voice (only on direct communications channel !), this has saved me a couple of times, when im in a building and i hear others enter i warn them of me beeing in there, this helps feel less responsable when you kill them if they do come in. It also has helped me find some friends, talking to eachother helps you not getting killed, i once had a dude reacting to my voice and i was able to tell from his voice he was not to trust, i simply left the area. If people do not talk back OPEN FIRE :)

Weapons, find a revolver or 1911 pistol, both ammo is usable in both guns, right click the magazine in your gear and change to right gun, for these guns theres always ammo to find for, i tend to have 10 or more magazines for my pistol, its the best weapon agains close by zombies, and close by zombies is the most you use your gun for.

Find matches, hatchet, hunting knife and a water bottle, these are the minimal things to have to live off the land.

When you have a lot of loot and you dont want to die, evade other players, stay away from the most dangerous places(NW airport,actually stay away from any airport, stary and novy sobor, cherno, elektro and berenzino) These places have a lot of good loot spots but it also has a lot of good sniper and hideout locations.

Dont try and set records, this will mostly get you killed. Take time for your next move, put a lot of time in observation.

When possible make sure to gut some animals and cook the meat before you go into action, meat from wild animals gives you 800 blood, so having some juicy steaks is very interesting for healing yourself without anybody giving you a blood transfusion.

Dont be afraid of the zombies, they are the least of your problem, they are easy to avoide or distract, use empty cans and empty wiskey bottles to lure them away or to something.

My basic plan of attack.

After respawn find cherno or electro, know the way in those towns(start your arma game and go into the editor and place 1 unit at electro or cherno, recon these towns), plan a route true the towns and leave as soon as you have made a complete round of the town, all you need must be to find in each of these towns.

Mostly i take no weapon when looting these towns, also this has saved my life a couple of times, i just yell that im unarmed and it helps other players not to shoot you, your no treat so...

My first priority is a backpack, knife, matches, hatchet and water bottle

Next i want to have enough morphine and painkillers so raiding the hospital is important, my loadout from the haspital will be: 2 bloodbags, 3 morphine,1 epipen, 2 painkillers and 2 bandages if your lucky you will also find some antibiotics(never needed them, but seems needed when you are getting sick)

Then weapons, like i said find a revolver or m1911, both ammo usable for both guns, plenty around.

My handgun is my primary weapon, so i always leave the enfield shotguns or winchesters, i gamble on finding an m16 or ak along the way, Main guns are only interesting agains othe rplayers, and i'm trying to avoide them like the plague.

Theres only 1 thing that scares the shit out of me and that is the thermal view scoped riffles, they see you without you seeing them.

So in short, after you respawn start running and dont stop until your in cherno or elektro, find building and loose your zombie train.

Hope this helps,

Allie

Edited by Allie

Update: I feel I am getting much better at this game. I currently possess a bus, UAZ, some m107's, as50, a few ak's, L85 with that thermal scope, a few fn fals, an fn fal with a thermal scope, night vision goggles, m249 saw, alice pack, and lots of beans.

Sounds like you've been playing a good amount.

Glad you stuck with it. Are you keeping a tent, or just stashing your stuff in the bus? (I assume you can keep gear in the vehicles but I don't remember because I don't look for vehicles)

Sounds like you've been playing a good amount.

Glad you stuck with it. Are you keeping a tent, or just stashing your stuff in the bus? (I assume you can keep gear in the vehicles but I don't remember because I don't look for vehicles)

Well, I logged in today and It spawned me at the ocean with all my stuff. Now I have to walk all the way back and I cant find the "campsite" exactly. Out of my group, I was the only one without a map so I dont know exactly where it is. Only thing I can do now is log off around the general area and wait for my friends to log on.

My advice is to find yourself to a town like zenelogorsk or berezino.

They have all of the types of structures that are in towns like cherno and elektro - industrial buildings, supermarkets, fire stations, apartment buildings, etc, but there are much fewer players. This will help you understand the inventory system, looting, loot spawns, health, guns, zombies, etc without getting yourself shot in 30 seconds.

Spending some time crawling seem like a good idea. Better to spend a few minutes ekstra avoiding zombies than running into zombies repeatedly when you dont really want to.

If you notice that your aiming recticle is shaking all about, it is time to take some 'painkillers', then the shaking will stop. Heh, too me half an hour to figure that one out.

Edited by Treehugger

For best to worst you may want to say worst to best, Winchester and Lee Enfield are the best but crossbow is good too, I found it useful in cherno till attracted a horde... Then makarov saved me. You forgot to place Mak, M1911 and Revolver. Now even mak is better than revolver, used a rev mag on a zombie and even it didn't proned and mak just splashed it's brains on wall.