Sign in to follow this  
MrKittens

First timer on DayZ ♥ (5 deaths and what happened)

First life, I appear to have spawned somewhere near a cost. I wander around a bit and start walking down a road (im so smart). I see a town up ahead and keep walking toward it, Only to get chased by zombies. I have no idea how to lose them and get chased by 4-5 until i finally figure out that I can lose them by weaving through buildings and going prone out of sight. 5 Minutes later, I'm shot in a shed trying to figure out what to do with a jerry can. Lol ;)

Second life, probably the dumbest thing anyone has ever done in this game ever. I spawn on the coast near a barn. i sneak inside and shut the doors thinking zombies won't open them. Inside I find my first weapon, a hatchet, and notice there is a second floor. The second floor has a metal balcony and I run full speed making lots of noise. I get the que zombies are running for me and see them go right through the flimsy metal doors. I have a tin can I picked up and think if i throw it out the window maybe they will go towards it. So I press F like the guide said and try tossing it out the window. The window does not break and the can hits myself in the head, making sound get all wierd. Zombies next to me now on the second floor and I cant pull out my hatchet, so i hit V and try to jump down, only to instantly break my legs and be devoured by zombies.

Third life, I spawn on the coast near one of the big cities. I head towards one of the bigger buildings, i think it was a church or town hall or something, and was gunned down imediatly. Another reminder not to use roads

Fourth Life, I find an AK-47 in a deer stand near my spawn. I feel so awsome and shoot the 3 zombies wandering around it. I meet a guy from the forum on skype and move towards him. We meet and he asks me politely to give him a blood transfusion since he cant and I oblige. We wander around Komopova and see some fighting between players and a smoke gernade, we sneak around and dont get caught/kill anyone. We split up a bit and I notice a barn. I look on the DayZ map and it says the barn is high value, So i check it out. Inside i find 2 double barrel shotguns and some car parts. I pick up one of the guns and head back to komapobo, only to be gunned down instantly as i leave the barn by someone with a silenced weapon.

My Fifth life is by far the best yet. I once again meet my friend and we wander north from komapobo. He finds a bike, which nearly gets him killed, and teaches me how to make my own food. He gives me some matches, an axe, we kill an animal, cook the meat, and my backpack is finally full. He decides I need a weapon and some other gear now, so we head to Zolonogorsk, one of the bigger towns I suppose. Inside the grocery store I find a makarov, lee enfield, and tons of ammunition. Im ecstatic at my new gear. I continue wandering around the town and fine some binoculors in a house, and a watch in a shed. He has to go, so he logs off in a little residential house. I figure i'll play a little longer myself before leaving, and wander around the town some more. I go back to the grocery store and notice theres a little backroom we didnt check, and that there is a totally awsome 12 slot czech backpack in it. I empty my current one, and take it. Now its filled with animal meat and pepsis, enough to last my longer then this life will probably last. I've only killed a few zombies for fear of attracting other players, but now ive got 6 makarov clips and 4 lee enfield clips, so I want to go on a killing spree sometime when my server is on low population and I wont get jumped.

FYI i realize most new players threads are QQ about getting killed and looted, as I did most of my deaths, but I am truly enjoying this mod as much as any other game I have played. And yes I bought arma2 solely for this mod. Its hella fun.

Edited by MrKittens
  • Like 13

I'm glad to finally see a new player actually know how to play the game. It takes awhile to get used to! Goodluck and have fun. :)

• Like 3

I'm glad to finally see a new player actually know how to play the game. It takes awhile to get used to! Goodluck and have fun. :)

Its not that I know how, but i am willing to learn and youtubed dayz for a tutorial xD but thanks. I have to be super wary now cause I dont want to lose my awsome backpack!

• Like 1

Well that's what I kinda mean. You actively look around for tips, tricks, and etc. A lot of these noobs just QQ everywhere.

EDIT: Sooner or later you'll want to kill yourself for surviving so long! O:

Edited by Aisa

That is a good strategy to go search up how to play dayz before buying dayz. Im just one lonewolf lol trying to survive it a AS50 hehehe! 1 bandit tried killing me lol.

The friendly guy i met on the forums was nice.

Atleast, he didnt kill me.

Could of been becaue I didnt have anything nice, just an ak47 and food, but still nice :)

To use your hatchet as a weapon, open backpack, right click the picture of the hatchet, click remove from toolbelt and wahla. Also, i don't advise using the enfield unless you 100% need to as it's as loud as bomb going off (not so much but you get the point). Good luck, don't stand infront of open windows, and prone on any roofs or you might get sniped.

EDIT: Sooner or later you'll want to kill yourself for surviving so long! O:

Not sure what you mean and hope I don't find out :) I should be entertained as long as i live, if i get bored lone wolfing it i'll just try to find more guys from the forum to hang out with, even if they stab me in the back :D

excuse the doublepost but I logged on tonight to play a bit more and realized logging off in a grocery store in a big town was a terrible idea! I barely had a second to react as I logged in people were shooting at me. There were atleast 3 others in the store, possibly a clan or group, they started shooting at me and I shot back, I killed one with my enfield before going down. Its a shame as I loved that big backpack, but oh well teaches me not to log off in popular places!

edit: also realized thats my first player kill!. Though it was a suicide really, Im glad I took one of the bastards down

Edited by MrKittens

Well done! Pretty similar adventures to my own.

I recently broke my legs in a door (derp) and was saved by some friendly medics... however, I had to log off immediately afterwards and did so while sitting in a house. This probably won't work out too well for me when I come back in. we'll see!

Finaly.. A post by a new player that is not.. OMG I got toltaly killed by players.. THIS mod suxxxsss..

Sir i take my hat off to you.. Great first post.... I't is good to see a player that does not complain about dying but takes the lesson learnd and moves on a better path forwared..

Thinker..

• Like 1

Nice first 5 lives story. :D SOOOOO nice to see a player take a mature perpsective on the HUGE learning curve that is Arma2....nevermind the additional curve that is the DayZ mod.

Now, from what you've said. Learn to use cover...always, cover to cover and scan every single visible point before moving out of cover.

Just when you think it is safe to leave a barn or other place, DON"T. Stay a few more mins and watch the door. Anyone watching you will get impatient and either come looking or move on. Safer that way.

Also, you mentioned the DayZ loot spawn map. Use that. use the landmarks and contours and get very far away from any of the Southern or Eastern towns or any airfields. At least until you have decent gear and have built enough experience to live a good 7 or 8 days WHILE coming into contact with other human players. Deer stands have ALL the same military gear as the airfields. Just travel between them and get your guns, night vision, GPS and good packs. Avoid the airfields at all costs.

That hatchet you found, in your gear menu, remove from toolbelt. That will put it in your hand. That hatchet is silent and the best zombie killing weapon in game.

If you have a gun and you HAVE to fire it....immediately leave the area. If you are in a town on the South, DO NOT stop- to loot, get out fast and zig zag the trees and keep going. Every gunshot is a big old dinner bell for marauding bandits who will come looking for someone to kill. When you shoot, within 1 minute guaranteed....if not less....they will be set up watching the region for you to exit and expose yourself.

Good luck and I hope to run into you in game in circumstances I don't have to shoot you. (What is your in game name by the way?)

Edited by Slyder73

We wander around Komopova and see some fighting between players and a smoke grenade

Damn smoke grenade, u scary!

• Like 1

this is my 3rd day of playing and I love this mod, currently have 1 day survived under my belt and I have a map,gps and tons of food and drinks... just looging for a better gun... but traveling along the eastern side till i get better weapons then Ill assualt the western side.

Besides ppl killing me at the spawn I have no complaint at all, and getting your ass capped but a Bandit is annoying but hey you the only one to blame :) I would like a friend to play with though but can find any South Africans on the forums.

Died about 5 or 6 times, 2 from bandits and the rest for being an idiot, and one suicide lol. For the most part the community on the forums are actually really friendly compared to the horse shit community on the Diablo 3 EU forums.

Damn smoke grenade, u scary!

HAHA I LITERALLY SAID THIS IN SKYPE!

It was scary. we saw silouhettes of the other players through the smoke running around. So we ran in the oppisite direction. He didnt want to lose his bicycle

Good luck and I hope to run into you in game in circumstances I don't have to shoot you. (What is your in game name by the way?)

I have no idea how to edit it yet, so I'm just Devon. I never shoot to kill unless they shoot first :D

Had fun adventures on a private server with a seperate save and they taught me a bunch of stuff. Then i bid them farewell and went back to try my luck in a normal server with the "global" save.

I found a dead player body with a full inventory of lee enfield bullets (didnt kill him i swear :P) and went on a zombie killing rampage for fun up in the north. I camped in the barn and shot 82 zombies fromthe little hole in the 2nd floor. Then i threw the enfield away so I could hold my RV hunting rifle thing instead. I think ill keep wandering north because electro and cherno is always so crowded. Thanks to the advice ill avoid the airfield though.

Edited by MrKittens

excuse the doublepost but I logged on tonight to play a bit more and realized logging off in a grocery store in a big town was a terrible idea! I barely had a second to react as I logged in people were shooting at me. There were atleast 3 others in the store, possibly a clan or group, they started shooting at me and I shot back, I killed one with my enfield before going down. Its a shame as I loved that big backpack, but oh well teaches me not to log off in popular places!

edit: also realized thats my first player kill!. Though it was a suicide really, Im glad I took one of the bastards down

Same thing happend to me and i logged in the appartment in elektro and i heard over the mic people said friendly so i also said friendly and then i kept quiet because i was listening and what they were about to do. This one guy seemed suspicious because he said dont move and freeze if your a friendly but then i didint log on for a while and the guy heard me say friendly. So i heard them talking and i heard gunshots. I connected after a while the gunshots was over and i saw the place all full of flares. I switched my weapon from revolver to AS50 for a sure kill. Then i went outside the guy saw me he told me to freeze but i was running and he was shooting at me. Also as i was running he was chasing me down i have a ghilie suit on so i ducked down in the grass where it was all dark. I turned on my NVG then i waited ducking down in this one alley. And i saw him running i took the shot (since he shot me) and i killed him 1 hit surviving with 5k hp I looted his corpse finding a AK47 Kobra and i ran away and it counted for a bandit kill. When i killed him he said "oh **** me you gotta be kidding me". His last words. I was thinking in my head "if he was friendly then why did he shoot me?" And i went running outside elktro to the forest and i went back after i cooked and regain my hp to 9k and i heard gunshots again and i killed the person again and his name was trevor he had the same weapons as last time. I think he was hacking in my opinion but i didint report it lol i ended up logging off cause i had all valuble stuff with me :). +1 bandit kill yay!

I am too a lonewolf and getting sick of it. Lol if you want to partner up mail me up okay!

Aye, I bought Arma just to get DayZ too. I spawned next to the airfield around cherno, AT NIGHT. I get freaked out and join another server. It was day, so I continued into the airfield. I get chased by zombies until I saw a woman character standing up.

I HONESTLY THOUGHT SHE WAS A BOT.

Then I figured out that the mumbling was actually someone talking, I didn't know why I can't hear people talk that well. Anyway, we went to a tower and we start talking to each other. Then we found ANOTHER survivor which was also unarmed and he says to me "put your flashlight down, lol." over voice. I thought that I could had used the flashlight as some sort of weapon, so that is why I had it out. We then crouch walk out of the airfield to be sniped by a bandit. I was the first victim.

Aye, I bought Arma just to get DayZ too. I spawned next to the airfield around cherno, AT NIGHT. I get freaked out and join another server. It was day, so I continued into the airfield. I get chased by zombies until I saw a woman character standing up.

I HONESTLY THOUGHT SHE WAS A BOT.

Then I figured out that the mumbling was actually someone talking, I didn't know why I can't hear people talk that well. Anyway, we went to a tower and we start talking to each other. Then we found ANOTHER survivor which was also unarmed and he says to me "put your flashlight down, lol." over voice. I thought that I could had used the flashlight as some sort of weapon, so that is why I had it out. We then crouch walk out of the airfield to be sniped by a bandit. I was the first victim.

I can help you.. But your status says your a bandit... And unfortunely I don't trust bandits.