Sign in to follow this  
notorious1212

Question About Opteron CPUs

Hey guys,

I am wondering if anyone has run Day Z servers off of a server powered by AMD Opterons. I have a dual CPU Opteron (2.6Ghz) server that I would like to send off for a colo in order to host a Day Z server.

The reason I am asking is that the CPU is recomended to have a clock rate higher than 3 Ghz. The problem an Operton CPU might face is that only the newest Opteron CPU's even run at that clockrate. So please let me know if you have attempted this or if you are running something already and what kind of experience it led to.

Before anyone starts it up, I realize I can rent a dedicated or a managed instance. However, it's a pretty legitimate server in terms of horsepower, so I am just wondering if I can pull off a Day Z instance, nothing more.

The only other post I've seen about Opterons was unanswered, afaik. http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1251-want-to-host-a-dayz-server-read-in-here/page__view__findpost__p__14078

Thanks.

Im running a 8 core opteron. My server has 40 slots and the cpu load is at an averrage of 25% for DayZ. I use all 8 cores for DayZ. I don´t want to upgrade my slots to 50 because im also runnig a webserver on it. I think an dual core opteron isn´t strong enough for DayZ. That´s my opinion.

Polli

Thanks for your input, that is informing. I should clarify a little by saying it is a Dual Quad Core system. Is that a bulldozer based Operton that you are using? Also, what is your clock rate?

We have two 6 core opterons and run a 40 person server using 2 cores off each cpu. No lag at all and pretty quick loading unless completely full. The clock rate is 2.8ghz.

Yes I will approve your request assuming you meet all the other requirements, this CPU should be fine as AMDs will typically clock a tad lower.

Thanks for your input, that is informing. I should clarify a little by saying it is a Dual Quad Core system. Is that a bulldozer based Operton that you are using? Also, what is your clock rate?

I use an Opteron 3280 cpu, 16GB ram. My bottleneck are the hdd´s. These are only have 7200 rpm. I tried running my server with 4 cores. It works also, but the graphical details are much better with full speed settings (cores=8 Threads=7)

Arma 2 engine relies more on frequency then it does cores. A dual core with a high GHZ will out preform a Quadcore with less GHZ when it comes to servers.

Arma 2 engine relies more on frequency then it does cores. A dual core with a high GHZ will out preform a Quadcore with less GHZ when it comes to servers.

This reigns true for the desktop version as well (from a multi core utilization standpoint), I hope this changes in ARMA III.

Thanks for the input, guys. I really appreciate it.

More cores could run more servers, though.

Edit: For example, if you have an eight core Opteron, you can set the affinity for each server to only use two cores each.

However, I've found that the DayZ Server Requirements are extremely inflated. Especially the RAM requirements.

I've never seen a sever eat more than 2Gb of ram. Ever.

Edited by Inu