Sign in to follow this  
Szap

Item based friendly target identification system

The goal: Make it possible to identify players you have played with or are playing with.

The thought: I think there is a tool needed to identify your buddys on the field - quick and easy - without removing friendly fire or making the game too easy.

What i suggest:

- Introduce a two part System:

-> The IFF Reciever to be carried in the TOOL slot. Military class loot - should be somewhat as (un)common as a GPS device perhaps a bit more common but not much.

-> The IFF Sender also to be carried in the ITEMS slot. Military Class loot - should drop from Military Zombies with a chance of 1 in 10 or so. this would make it obtainable by "farming" some military zombies if needed.

(The spawning methodes suggested are just an example here)

It would work like this: Each IFF Sender has a unique frequency (ID) which is displayed on the Item. (Dont know if such a thing is at all possible)

The reciever could be "programmed" to interpret up to 20 IDs as friendly targets. if you mouse over a person (or a corpse) carrying a programmed ID you would get some kind of feedback (visual?) that the target is friendly.

You could carry multiple IFF Sender devices and they can be looted as well.

I've always wanted to attach a little flag to the end on my AS-50(Which is a perfect flagpole when on your back).

I can imagine someone picking up someone else's IFF Sender and just running over and killing everyone.

Such devices do exist in real life, and they are very rare even in the military.

I encountered them while serving with a USASOC unit.

They transmit and receive radio signals(which are encoded) on UHF/VHF.

Multiple devices with the same encoding can, over a 5-15 mile radius(terrain dependent), detect the distance and direction to eachother.

While these would be extremely useful and be a heavily desired item for team players. Their rarity, to simulate a real world environment,

would need to be like a .01% drop rate. If that even.

Another thing is that I can see it being difficult to create such an in-game item.

My counter proposal is that we insert the military, Sincgars radio system, this is widely used and in just about every HMMWV in existence.

So that solves the drop location issue, just have the burnt up HMMWV's have like a 10% drop rate of a useful radio. Due to size however I could see this taking up a large amount of space, but not more than four slots in a backpack, the new model that came out a few years ago is smaller. Also having a Handset or headset drop from the soldier Zeds would seem appropriate. My thinking here is a radio that would need 2-4 slots of pack space, the compatible hand/head set taking a slot in the toolbelt.

The sincgars operates on splits of 25kHz in a range from 30.000-87.975, (every .025 would be a channel) so it would need to be programable (maybe thru the map display as the watch and GPS are) but at the same time, the odds of someone finding youre channel are very slim(IRL it is near impossible once encoding or channel hopping is loaded/enabled)

The newer models also have data transmitting ability which, when linked with a milgps module, can tell others on the same freq your gps info and load it as a waypoint in their milgps(if you have one connected).

I am probably proposing to much realism for such an ingame item to be enjoyable, but that is what ya get from a veteran I suppose.

The goal: Make it possible to identify players you have played with or are playing with.

The thought: I think there is a tool needed to identify your buddys on the field - quick and easy - without removing friendly fire or making the game too easy.

What i suggest:

- Introduce a two part System:

-> The IFF Reciever to be carried in the TOOL slot. Military class loot - should be somewhat as (un)common as a GPS device perhaps a bit more common but not much.

-> The IFF Sender also to be carried in the ITEMS slot. Military Class loot - should drop from Military Zombies with a chance of 1 in 10 or so. this would make it obtainable by "farming" some military zombies if needed.

(The spawning methodes suggested are just an example here)

It would work like this: Each IFF Sender has a unique frequency (ID) which is displayed on the Item. (Dont know if such a thing is at all possible)

The reciever could be "programmed" to interpret up to 20 IDs as friendly targets. if you mouse over a person (or a corpse) carrying a programmed ID you would get some kind of feedback (visual?) that the target is friendly.

You could carry multiple IFF Sender devices and they can be looted as well.

I found a system that might interest you, the link is HERE