this idea suuuuucks

your thread suuuuucks

i want my click back

"this idea suuuuucks"

Why?

"your thread suuuuucks"

Why?

"i want my click back"

If you feel that way, why were you retarded enough to click the "reply" button aswell?

HURRDURRDERPADERPHEEEERRRRPITY DERP!

It seems the community is just mostly shitposters, people with the mental age of 13, and overall "hurrduur look i am a master tr0llah wololol"

Does someone really think it's funny to "troll" like this?

Try to do something noteworthy, be it trolling or not, but THIS kind of shit is just plain pathetic..

After reading your original post, my serious opinion is that I don't think re-implementing side chat is the be-all-to-end-all solution to banditry. Also, there's a difference between KoS mentality and banditry that you don't seem to fully understand. Bandits kill because it's how they choose to play the game. Many players (including myself) KoS because it's safer. Also, many players use teamspeak/are in clans, and so the typical mentality becomes "unless they're on TS with me, I'm going to KoS." Being part of a larger group (through out-of-game voice chat) eliminates the imperative to band together with unknown players. I don't see a re-implementation of side chat really addressing any of this in a significant fashion.

Also, on my last life, I was on day 26, and could have survived indefinitely. The only reason I died was due to a hacker using god-mode and teleportation. So your argument that everyone will eventually die is weak, and you didn't even mention hackers anywhere. Based on popular sentiment, it seems that hackers are the #1 cause of death lately.

After reading your original post, my serious opinion is that I don't think re-implementing side chat is the be-all-to-end-all solution to banditry. Also, there's a difference between KoS mentality and banditry that you don't seem to fully understand. Bandits kill because it's how they choose to play the game. Many players (including myself) KoS because it's safer. Also, many players use teamspeak/are in clans, and so the typical mentality becomes "unless they're on TS with me, I'm going to KoS." Being part of a larger group (through out-of-game voice chat) eliminates the imperative to band together with unknown players. I don't see a re-implementation of side chat really addressing any of this in a significant fashion.

Also, on my last life, I was on day 26, and could have survived indefinitely. The only reason I died was due to a hacker using god-mode and teleportation. So your argument that everyone will eventually die is weak, and you didn't even mention hackers anywhere. Based on popular sentiment, it seems that hackers are the #1 cause of death lately.

Well first of all, thank you for manning the fuck up! :)

"I don't think re-implementing side chat is the be-all-to-end-all solution to banditry"

I'm not looking for a solution to banditry here, no no no!

That's not what this tread is about! This thread is about bringing back the possibility to cooperate with fellow survivors, instead of the only legit solution of killing them!

"Also, there's a difference between KoS mentality and banditry that you don't seem to fully understand."

No, I fully understand the difference and meaning of KoS.

Banditry is a way of life in Day Z, but (currently) so is KoS!

You just said it yourself

"Bandits kill because it's how they choose to play the game."

and

"Many players (including myself) KoS because it's safer."

Isn't it the players choice, "the way the player chooses to play the game" to KoS, it's no different to banditry? I mean, they could just let it go, but as you said it's safer to KoS than risk it.

What I'm after with this thread, is through my suggestion, maybe there will be better suggestions on the lack of COMMUNICATING systems currently in the game.

I'm not here to remove banditry, or the KoS if some ppl choose to do so.

"Also, many players use teamspeak/are in clans, and so the typical mentality becomes 'unless they're on TS with me, I'm going to KoS.'"

Yep, you are right, but I still see more those who go solo than who move in groups. There's no problem with that KoS thingy regarding clans, its totally fine. But I wouldn't necessary kill ppl on sight with my friends, if there was a way to actually let them know of our existence (in a neutral/friendly non-dangerous way) and perhaps gain something from the at first hostile-appearing situation (that is, through cooperating, not murdering).

I'm not against bandits, nor am I against player killing. Kill and murder all the players you wan't, it's your choice, currently I'm doing the same thing. Because it's close to impossible to get the gain-trust//get-killed risk ratio to a reasonable level.

"Also, on my last life, I was on day 26, and could have survived indefinitely."

You are not the only one who has thought that way. You just simply will not survive indefinitely in this game. You just don't.

At some point you die. If you really can survive indefinitely, then maybe you are too pro for Day Z, and I congratulate you, but I just don't believe it..

from the front page

"So your argument that everyone will eventually die is weak"

Survival Attempts: 19,071,748

well with that +19 MILLION *attempts* to survive (=== +19 MILLION DEATHS), I don't really feel my argument is too weak...

"and you didn't even mention hackers anywhere"

Nope, I didn't because it would have been off the topic.

The OP was about bringing back the side chat or not. It wasn't about hacking.

• Like 1

How about they impliment a chat window rather than just make words appear on the screen? that way people can choose if they want to see and type in global chat or not..

However, as i have said before, we do need to introduce shouting into the game, so that when i fus-ro-dah (yes that was trolling), EVERYONE around me knows im friendly.

Anyway, i dont see how it would take away realism this way, when you think that clans can talk on skype and teamspeak all they want, but randoms cant talk more than 10 yards away. ive said it before and il say it again, i appreciate that you have a realism fetish rocket, but there are lines that need to be set for our enjoyment

Edited by GexAlmighty
  • Like 1

I feel you're on the right track with side chat. I for one did much better as a solo player when side chat was an option, but it does seem a bit ridiculous given the feel of the game. I'm alone stranded on an island...and I can talk to anyone. Perhaps a solution to this would be a radio tranceiver with multiple public channels. It could be a residential drop about as common as binoculars. This would allow you to communicate with other players early on at great distances without being ridiculously outside the game's reality.

No more derailing on the thread. Back on topic...

Thank you, maybe a forum-team mod's post helps keep this reasonable.

Also, there were suggestions of increasing the range of direct chat (direct-shout maybe?).

and a nicely put thread about another alternative (radio systems).

I find both nice, and probably better than the side chat which has the downside of spam and shit-talk.

Bring back side chat only with walkie talkies with a limited transmit and revive range unrealistic if you can chat across the whole map.

I want the side-chat back. Or maybe a similar system.

But I doubt that DayZ can continue this way. I mean all players killing each other instead of communicating.

I don't know how, but there has to be done something to bring the trust back into the game.

Bring back side chat only with walkie talkies with a limited transmit and revive range unrealistic if you can chat across the whole map.

I think I made a valid point about this "realism" argument, as it seems weird using it when discussing a game.

I understand the thing devs have, making the games seem realistic, but after all, they will only be games NOT real life.

And if you take into consideration, the map size is 225km, which is basically 15km x 15km, so the longest possible distance between 2 players in the game is the distance between the corners of the map =~21km

Totally achievable with modern day walkie talkies, that should counter your "realism" argument.

There are already ways to indicate friendly

Salute

Lower Weapon

Direct Comm

Any mechanic added to indicate a players intention is a waste of dev's time (IMO)

Some bandits and PK'rs will indicate they are friendly and then kill you.

The mechanics (while being cool and immersive) will quickly fail as indicators of whether or not another player can be trusted.

What are we really talking about here? The fact that most everyone simply Kills On Site is a little lame. As far as I can see there is only One solution. There needs to be consequence to firing a weapon.

It can be because ammunition is more scarce than it actually is. If you shoot on site you will quickly run out of ammo and be vulnerable.

Or it can be that Infected are actually a threat and come from miles around when they hear a shot.

Or some other reason I can't think of.

Truth is the "style" we choose to play is dictated by the tools we have available. The only tools we currently have available are guns and ammo. And guns and ammo (at least for me) are not necessary for killing zombies. Make ammo the rarest loot in the game and people will start co-operating

Anyone that complains about it removing the immersion of the game is missing the point. It's extending the range of making contact with someone. Give it a 200-300m range. The in game voice works out to maybe 75 m? (I dunno, it's range is rather limited and it's quality is on par with AM talk radio so misunderstanding someone is rather easy.) Also this method of contact is a double edge sword. It's as a matter of fact going to make it easier to bait players into a kill zone if a person is a bandit.

And I will continue to use the term bandit because half of them do loot your body. The other half are fuckstick trolls that have mommy's gold card.

TL;DR : It's just another 'we want sidechat back' thread.

Edited by DryGulch

There are already ways to indicate friendly

Salute

Lower Weapon

Direct Comm

Any mechanic added to indicate a players intention is a waste of dev's time (IMO)

Some bandits and PK'rs will indicate they are friendly and then kill you.

The mechanics (while being cool and immersive) will quickly fail as indicators of whether or not another player can be trusted.

What are we really talking about here? The fact that most everyone simply Kills On Site is a little lame. As far as I can see there is only One solution. There needs to be consequence to firing a weapon.

It can be because ammunition is more scarce than it actually is. If you shoot on site you will quickly run out of ammo and be vulnerable.

Or it can be that Infected are actually a threat and come from miles around when they hear a shot.

Or some other reason I can't think of.

Truth is the "style" we choose to play is dictated by the tools we have available. The only tools we currently have available are guns and ammo. And guns and ammo (at least for me) are not necessary for killing zombies. Make ammo the rarest loot in the game and people will start co-operating

It seems you either didn't completely read or fully understand my OP. And especially the parts

Then WHY do people rather kill the other player, than make contact with them and cooperate?

There is no trust. (Thank you captain obvious)

WHY is there no trust between players?

Because there is no actual and legit way to build/gain it!

Our ways of building trust include:

1. Direct chat
  2. Salute
  3. Lowering your weapon
  4. "jiggling?" (=hammering Q and E repeatedly)

All of these, are impractical and rather useless.

1. Direct chat (from my experience at least) doesn't ALWAYS work properly.
  2. Making your friendliness show through a salute makes you an easy target, since the other player must actually SEE you. In addition, you are not controlling your character while saluting (ie. you will not be able to defend yourself while your shooting hand is touching your forehead..) which increases the chances the other player will just shoot you instead of saluting back.
  3. Lowering your weapon is almost equal to number 2. It will only make you an easy target for the other player.
  4. Never tried to make contact using this method, it seems quite useless though, the laggy netcode would probably not show half of the twists to the other player, and while you were focused on making the jiggling correctly, the other guy would just simply shoot you as you were walking towards them.

Now we get to the actual point of this thread, and the actual suggestion:

Please bring side chat back to the game!

What I'm basically saying, is you are off the topic.. If you only read the OP, and read it so you fully understand what it says BEFORE posting a reply, you might just add something intelligent to the conversation!

How many times have you made friends in Day Z using the salute function?

Or by lowering weapon?

Let me guess: ZERO!!

"What are we really talking about here?"

We are talking about ways to communicate with fellow players. Systems that allow the ACTUAL communication with them instead of making yourself the easiest target in game! That's what we are talking about!

My suggestion was bring back the side chat, and it was improved by another suggestion: "Direct-shout"

Read the OP properly be4 giving lame off-topic replies..

TL;DR : It's just another 'we want sidechat back' thread.

Yeah, if you feel that's the way it is, why not save that brainfart to yourself?

Just move along if you have nothing intelligent to say, don't be an immature cunt..

banditry is a core part of DayZ. it adds a whole new dimension of fear and paranoia from others, knowing that anyone you see can shoot you in the back of your head just because you had some ammo for his rifle or something. it's another way of surviving in this game.

It seems you either didn't completely read or fully understand my OP. And especially the parts

What I'm basically saying, is you are off the topic.. If you only read the OP, and read it so you fully understand what it says BEFORE posting a reply, you might just add something intelligent to the conversation!

How many times have you made friends in Day Z using the salute function?

Or by lowering weapon?

Let me guess: ZERO!!

"What are we really talking about here?"

We are talking about ways to communicate with fellow players. Systems that allow the ACTUAL communication with them instead of making yourself the easiest target in game! That's what we are talking about!

My suggestion was bring back the side chat, and it was improved by another suggestion: "Direct-shout"

Read the OP properly be4 giving lame off-topic replies..

With respect I don't think i was off topic. The thread is about stopping the rampant KOS mentality. You suggest bringing back side chat will achieve this. I disagree an repeat. ANY mechanic introduced or re-introduced will not curb KOS (IMO). Anyone can say anything on side chat...".yeah i'm friendly" or "....I need help" whatever. The reason there is no trust between players is because everyone is heavily armed and there is NO REASON NOT TO SHOOT.. Until there is a reason not to shoot KOS will continue. Plus you should edit your post and move the part where respectfully ask people who don't read the whole thing not to respond to the beggining of it. As people who don't read the thing won't see that part ;)

banditry is a core part of DayZ. it adds a whole new dimension of fear and paranoia from others, knowing that anyone you see can shoot you in the back of your head just because you had some ammo for his rifle or something. it's another way of surviving in this game.

Thank you again for your statement, captain obvious!

Your statement has nothing to do with the conversation in this thread.

I vote yes to golbal chat, but only after you find a radio in game. Radios can be static (desk mounted) or handheld. This would fit the atmosphere and promote cohesion between survivors. If you don't like someone's rants on chat track them down and take their radio away.

• Like 1

I vote yes to golbal chat, but only after you find a radio in game. Radios can be static (desk mounted) or handheld. This would fit the atmosphere and promote cohesion between survivors. If you don't like someone's rants on chat track them down and take their radio away.

We share the same opinion!

Side chat is a fail as using it w/voice would only get you flamed or people would be ranting and raving so you can't hear anything (probably reason for flaming), and using the actual text distracts to much from playing, ie watching and or shooting.

I've had zero issues using direct, some people just don't have a mike so can't talk back or they don't care to respond to your commands so you shoot them.

I'm for radios with different channels in game and also for direct chat being always on, this way if you have a mike you will always be heard if your talking even over vent/ts/skype.

If you want to talk to other survivors or make plans in game to meet people make them on the forums or chat clients almost ever server has a TS server also. If a player isn't on the forums they are not contributing to Day Z at all because they are providing zero feed back so I really don't care about them.

meh i dont bandit at all agreed boredom strikes and can cause this but the cod kiddies shit is just stupid cod was a good game (a few of them anyway) just because you people think yourselves individualist and non conformers does not mean that everyone who played CoD canot cope with a game with no DMing/ action.

stop being elitist.

Not being elitist, not saying that I'm better than them, but saying that I can coop better than them :D

A few notes for OP:

First of all, the 4. issue - that is, lack of trust causing the KoS... You do realize that the trust issue is mainly a consequence of the other KoS issues?

People don't start playing this game always assuming the worst. I did not start out shooting everyone on sight. And the noobs I've met in the game - they usually have been the most trusting / friendly players out there. People start shooting on sight after they have gotten shot too many times and they lose the trust to the other players. Naturally, once the trust has been lost, it starts spiraling the KoS even further. But it wasn't the seed for all of it.

Although, I guess nowadays with a lot of talk about the KoS, etc. etc. - even many new players probably know that they will probably be shot on sight, and thus even the noobs might start out with a heavy mistrust toward others.

So, you cannot solve the trust issue alone. As long as there will be excess killing for the other reasons (1. - 3.) as well, there will be little trust.

Also, I guess it might even make sense to add a fifth reasons for the KoS / banditry. Which is the player's "feelings" in general towards the rest of the playerbase (this is quite closely related to the trust, but from a slightly different angle)... By this, I mean the frustration / anger towards constantly getting killed on sight by other players regardless of being friendly. When those experiences are far greater in number than any positive experiences, the player's view is skewed toward seeing the other encountered players mostly as dumbasses. And this shift of view enforces the idea that "It is ok to shoot the other player, because he's probably one of those f*cking dumbasses that would shoot me on sight". Basically, because the player cannot identify the other players (no more bandit skins), he just has to generalize all of the players in that "dumbass" group. And we all know it is totally okay to shoot at those dumbasses. So, we're not talking about only trust here... We're talking about the general perception and attitude towards the game's playerbase. Players having negative feelings towards the other players will certainly add to the KoS attitude.

And as far as the actual side chat goes... Yeah, without it, the communication is pretty much crap. I understand the reason for getting rid of it, but until there are those radios/walkie-talkies or something else to patch up the gap, there will be little sensible communication occurring in the game between "random" people. So, I guess I would prefer having side chat over the current situation, but I don't really care at the moment... as now I'm back to hunting all the players along the coast I can find - and I don't really need any chat for that. The less chatter, the better - At least they cannot tell the other players the location where I'm on a murderous rampage.

I'm not a supporter of side channel, but of "Walkie takie" i'm a big supporter, but not that you are gonna start with it, but you can find it, just as rare as map or something, i like the game so realistic as possible.. :lol:

Thumbs up for your long post! :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans:

every freaking time i've been friendly to someone, i've been shot...every freaking time...there's just no point in being friendly...

Last time, i heard and saw there was someone...i said tough mic "Don't shoot, i am friendly"...he turns and opens fire...i guess i am gonna go that retarded "ignore zombies, shoot players" line...