Szap

Vehicles: Change the limiting Factor and Repair mechanism (Workshops)

The Goal: Repairing a vehicle should be limited by the availability of spare parts - not by the amount of vehicles.

The thought behind it:

The current Mechanism is as such: you can hoard vehicle parts quite easily - find a vehicle and repair it is the difficult part. I want to change it exactly the other way around.

Plus: Vehicles exploding should not be the standard behavior. A Vehicle that drives against a wall should have around a 20% chance to catch fire. Otherwise its just unusable.

Why is a Vehicle standing around, broken down: the reason will mostly be out fuel or broken wheels or completely destroyed. The completely destroyed vehicles cannot be repaired of course. I dont think repairing of vehicles engines should be possible at all. This Suggestion is to be combined with my other suggestion: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/46729-jerrycans-and-fuel-consumption-revised/

What changes do i suggest:

- Remove: Scrap Metal, Fueltank parts, Engine parts

- Car wheels are weapon slot size (10 Slot backpack and go in primary Weapon Slot)

- Spawned vehicles are either out of fuel or missing 1-3 Wheels. (with 10 to 50% Fuel left); Hull is random from 20 to 80% durability, Engine is random from 50 to 100% durability, Fuel tank is random 20 to 100% durability.

- Introduce / revise the Workshop Buildings: When driving a vehicle in/near the building you have to option to apply repairs to the vehicle (because you have the needed tools in the workshop and there are spare parts. This will repair Fueltank und Hull to 100%.

- Engine can never be repaired. Broken is broken.

- increase Vehicle spawns drastically: 2 vehicles per Serverslot (50 slot server will have 100 Vehicle "slots" maximum.

- Drastic decrease of car wheel spawn.

The result of these changes are: Finding a vehicle that could be repaired is not so difficult as bringing the parts and/or fuel to it. Finding a "good" vehicle with a better engine is still a more difficult find but finding any vehicle will be "easy".

This also encourages players to cooperate as transporting vehicle parts (fuel and wheels) will render you unable to use a primary Weapon.

As much as I like your suggestion I dont think that Engines should be non repairable. Having worked on a few in my life there is always something you can do even if it comes to fabrication. Granted if these workshops have not been raided for arc weilds and selephane tanks and the such then removing parts just to use as patches from old vehicles would be even more viable. Not to mention stripping cars to just a frame to build Mad Max style cars.

Wheels I agree with that for realisitic state any 15 inch tire/rim takes a bit of effort to move because of its cumbersom size.

The frequency of car spawns I am split on. You can have a good fabricator take nothing and turn it into something. I mean some go carts run off lawnmower motors. So more improvised vehicles seems legit however finding a non tampered with car would be something of a rarity.

On the con side of that you would have people camp these workshops for easy vehicles and greifing just as NW airfield and Stary and hospitials are now.

i like the idea of swapping the system around like you sayin in some ways, dont see what caused all the vehices to get so fucked up as they are anyway, so id like the idea of cars all over that can be repaired but are MUCH harder to get parts for

Thanks for your Feedback! Granted, you can jury rig the engine of a car when minor damage was inflicted but drive the vehicle against a tree (with some speed of course not 5km/h) or be shot at with something larger then a pistol and its gone in my opinion: You could theoretically fix that but not in just 10 minutes jury rigging. That would require some DAYS effort even for a skilled mechanic with a workshop and the right tools at your disposal. It cannot be done "in the field" with just a few parts of scrap and stuff.

i like the idea of swapping the system around like you sayin in some ways, dont see what caused all the vehices to get so fucked up as they are anyway, so id like the idea of cars all over that can be repaired but are MUCH harder to get parts for

I think a good way to look at the cars being junked would be baracades and hold outs against zombies. So as people ran they ran out of gas, stranded against hundreds or thousands they turned to using them as a space between them and the zeds. Not to mention one could assume this was a 3rd world country where a Z virus went rampant through an already war torn country as a means of forced control on the population.

Good idea! Something is definitely wrong with the vehicle system as it is now. I've been playing DayZ for about 4 weeks now and I've come across only one vehicle so far that I could actually drive. You can get geared up with military weapons with no effort (this should be changed btw), so you should be able to able to repair a vehicle with medium effort.

Edit: what I actually mean is that you should be able to find a repairable vehicle with medium effort so you can repair it.

Edit 2: my nickname would finally make sense in the game :D

Edited by ScottyTheEngineer