Sign in to follow this  
Taggert1313

Tips on Not Getting Shot on Sight

I know a lot of people are complaining about not being able to make friends or coop because everyone shoots them on sight. Well below I have a list of tips that can help you not get shot on sight!*

1) Loudly Run

Now you might be saying to yourself, Taggert, if I run around people are going to know exactly where I am and kill me! Well, in my opinion this will help you not get shot for 2 reasons. A: The number 1 reason you get shot on sight near the coast is that you scared the crap out of somebody. Here they are minding their own business trying to loot some beans, and in you come sneaking around with a pistol. POW POW POW, no questions asked. You are dead. B: A bandit at range will normally wait for you to stand still before shooting. It is difficult to snipe a moving target unless you are running parallel to them.

2) Figure Out What Someone's Name is Before Your Approach Them

Using the name plate, you can find out their name. Then getting near them, you can say "Hey Tom, are you friendly?" It is amazing how much it puts someone at ease to hear their own name. Also, it tells a smart person that you had the drop on them already and didn't shoot, giving you more points!

3) Always Keep An Object Between You And The New Person

You can talk through walls, you can peek around corners. There is no reason to talk to someone face to face until you trust them. They don't trust you instantly either, and if they DO, it means they are killers! Watch out!

4) Not Everyone Uses a Mic and/or has Voice Sound

Don't ask me why, but some people won't know you are talking to them over a mic.

5) Hatchets are Deadly

Don't think that because they don't have a gun that they can't ruin your day.

6) Be Very Wary of People with Primary Weapons

When people get good gear, they tend to want to use it. Someone with nothing is much more likely to be your friend.

7) Help Someone Out

Saving someone from zombies, from bleeding to death, or fixing their leg is a great way to get someone to trust you. Do NOT shoot in their direction. Even if they are being attacked by zombies, they are not going to know you are being helpful.

8) Get a Gun that Kills in 1 Shot at Close Range

Revolver, M1911, or any shotgun will drop or kill a survivor in 1 shot at close range. If someone does get feisty, your best bet for survival is to drop them quick. Makarov vs M1911. AK-47 vs Winchester. You are wounded and they are dead.

I have used the above tips many times. My primary activity is running along the coast helping new spawns out. Most people don't want to shoot on sight, they just have to. So give them an option.

Anybody else have any good tips that have worked for them?

*Not responsible if tips get you eaten by zombies. Nothing is 100%, some people are just jerks!

Tips on Not Getting Shot on Sight: Extended Edition

9) Avoid Roofs

Now I enjoy a scenic view as much as the next guy, but roofs are always dangerous. Someone climbing onto a roof is usually up to no good. Yes, I know there is loot on some roofs, but it isn't worth it. You are an easy target for bandits. And regular survivors are going to think you're a sniper!

10) Stay By The Coast

Now I know people normally respond to complaints about being shot with "head north". Well this doesn't really solve your problem. Yes, you will be shot a lot less by heading north. And this is because you won't see anybody for hours. I assume you are mad about being killed on sight because you want to interact with other players, and heading north isn't going to help that. So if you want to survive for the longest amount of time, head north. If you want a friend, stay by the coast. PS: Most people you meet up North will shoot you!

11) Avoid Groups

If you see 2 or more people, you are going to want to avoid them. Once someone has found a friend, they tend to not want to risk getting another one. And real life friends, are not going to want some random guy bothering their fun. The one exception to this, is if you can hear them talking to each other over mics. This usually means they met in the game and they aren't super serious about the game. Bandits will use teamspeak, or mumble, or whatever to avoid giving away their position by talking.

Edited by Taggert1313
  • Like 21

LoL, nice tips. I have used some of these before and not been killed. Mainly talk to someone and just let them be.

Great post! Hope it helps potentially friendly players out, including me.

Personally i usually run away if i see a player, especially if i hear them firing...

But i usually do take advantage of point number 3 whenever i do try to start a conversation. Stay hidden, maybe study them for a bit to determine if they are a struggling survivor or a cold-hearted killer.

All my beans to you.

99% of the time, if the person has a gun, they kill on sight. It doesn't matter if you use voice chat or if you type friendly, or even if you are unarmed. They will kill you. The only chance you have of not getting kos is to kos yourself or turn tail and run, hoping you don't take an arrow to the knee.

Had no idea. When I've killed people I didn't know who it was 'till they went down and their name popped up stating they were killed. Might have to be more cautious when trying to take down a bandit/survivor from now on to avoid blame. :lol:

Decent tips, although not guaranteed to work.

The only real way to guarantee you wont get shot on sight is to not play the game.

People might say their friendly, and kill you anyway.

People might agree to team up so you can help them get nice gear, then end up shooting you anyway.

Long story short: Don't trust anyone except the people you know in real life, and even THAT is risky.

>Sees a guy at elektro firehouse

>asks if friendly

>says yes, so i tell him i've been looting the grocery store

>get him an alice pack, revolver, map, etc

>shoots at me while im trying to take shit outside the store

for the record, i could sense somthing was wrong, I didn't wanna loot stuff while he was looking at me.

In the end , i died and returned shortly.... he died somehow (and was glitched standing up)

i got my stuff back and now i shoot on site.

I have plenty more storys about people i helped killing me. I've never met anyone who hasn't backstabbed me. I shoot on sight, now and forever.

Had no idea. When I've killed people I didn't know who it was 'till they went down and their name popped up stating they were killed. Might have to be more cautious when trying to take down a bandit/survivor from now on to avoid blame. :lol:

Your not on regular servers, thats why.

>Sees a guy at elektro firehouse

>asks if friendly

>says yes, so i tell him i've been looting the grocery store

>get him an alice pack, revolver, map, etc

>shoots at me while im trying to take shit outside the store

for the record, i could sense somthing was wrong, I didn't wanna loot stuff while he was looking at me.

In the end , i died and returned shortly.... he died somehow (and was glitched standing up)

i got my stuff back and now i shoot on site.

I have plenty more storys about people i helped killing me. I've never met anyone who hasn't backstabbed me. I shoot on sight, now and forever.

If they shot you after you gave him a gun, don't give people guns again, problem solved.

To point 8:

I think since the last update/patch of Arma2 or DayZ (not sure) M1911 and Revolver won't kill anybody with one shot anymore. Don't even zombies. Correct me when I'm wrong, but that's what I noticed yesterday. I needed 3-4 rounds with my revolver to take down a zomie :/

If I might add something - if you DO get shot at - ZIG ZAG. Dont run in the straight line, as this is the easiest way to let the sniper zero in on you. Try to reach woodland as fast as possible, and always travel along treeline. Be mindful of your surroundings, and scan the horizon as often as possible.

"What does the little girl on see-saw do in the middle of Elektro?"

"She be teasin' the snipers"

Dont be that girl.

It all really depends on the person, some will shoot some won't, tips won't really help.

I run straight up to the player I see and loudly say "HELLO FRIEND!" and I haven't been shot on sight in forever.

Yeah, if you point your crosshairs at someone it will tell you their name and distance from you. It only works up to a certain distance, and binoculars work the same way. Also you have to be on a server with this enabled. Usually recruit or regular servers. Try not to let them see you putting your crosshairs over them, people tend to get jumpy. ;-)

To point 8:

I think since the last update/patch of Arma2 or DayZ (not sure) M1911 and Revolver won't kill anybody with one shot anymore. Don't even zombies. Correct me when I'm wrong, but that's what I noticed yesterday. I needed 3-4 rounds with my revolver to take down a zomie :/

I think they just reduced the range of effectiveness on those pistols. I can still get 1 shot kills on a zombie by hitting them in the body with M1911 and Revolver as of today. If you shoot them in the arm or leg, they aren't going down in 1. And if you shoot them from more then like 40m they aren't going down in 1 shot either. They might not kill a player in 1 shot, but they almost always go unconscious in 1 shot.

I think they just reduced the range of effectiveness on those pistols. I can still get 1 shot kills on a zombie by hitting them in the body with M1911 and Revolver as of today. If you shoot them in the arm or leg, they aren't going down in 1. And if you shoot them from more then like 40m they aren't going down in 1 shot either. They might not kill a player in 1 shot, but they almost always go unconscious in 1 shot.

i shot a Z dead center with 1911 at 15m , just ran right at me, your prolly not on an updated server, they nerfed all the side arms

Thanks for the tips Taggert. That name thing is a very good one. I feel stupid for not trying it before.

And regarding the 1911 and the revolver, yeah they are sadly no longer one body shot killers.

But dont know if its Day Z or this new Arma II patch.