Buick72

Killed an unarmed man. It changed me. For the better?

I generally stick to killing only those that are armed. However today, an unarmed survivor ran up to me, then frantically started looking for a weapon. I unloaded my double barrel into his legs, then finished him off. It only occurred to me moments later that I could have told him to just run away. I am just so used to being shot at that I didn't even think before I blasted him.

I immediately felt like a douche-bag. I decided that from that point on I would not shoot anyone that was not armed. Not 3 minutes later did my friends and I get spotted by some guys who could have easily shot us all but didn't. We exchanged some "You don't shoot, we wont" shouts back and forth, and they let us leave. Down the road I ran into a red brick building and saw a survivor run in with at least 12 zeds on her. Still feeling like a jerk for the last guy I blasted, I told her to run while I killed them all. Hopefully I prolonged that players life a bit. I even felt like less of a jerk after that.

After killing them all, I ran outside to meet a friend, and saw yet another unarmed survivor. I told my friend not to shoot, and we went around him. He then ran into the hut, came out with a .45 and started blasting at my friend. So, I leveled the guy with my shotgun and got a bandit kill... Got my friend up and healed him then we got out of dodge as we heard shots coming in close. Most likely the guys friends.

So, now I am at am impasse. I don't want to shoot every guy I see if I don't have to, but who is to know who will stab you in the back for letting them live. Even after that I think I am going to leave unarmed people alone unless I recognize names as being guys I have seen shooting people/me. Guess I could start writing names down in a dayZ diary :P

So, what do you guys do? Risk getting killed and try to be nice? Or just blast away? Both seem to have equal risks, but I am really starting to understand the kill on site players, and the wait and see players at the same time....

Edited by Buick72
  • Like 1

We don't really need more kill on sight players. If you let someone live, make sure to keep your eyes on them at all times and avoid letting them join your main group. Never lose line of sight until you part ways. If they do pick up a weapon warn them that you will not hesitate to shoot if they aim at you with the gun raised.

• Like 1

We don't really need more kill on sight players. If you let someone live, make sure to keep your eyes on them at all times and avoid letting them join your main group. Never lose line of sight until you part ways. If they do pick up a weapon warn them that you will not hesitate to shoot if they aim at you with the gun raised.

I know, I usually only try to kill out of survival or defense. Though I'll admit, don't sneak up on me when I have a gun in my hands, especially if you don't have a microphone and can't respond. Last week I turned around to see a guy aiming an AS50 at me from 5 feet away.... He fired right as I did. I can only assume he missed due to needing to catch his breath. Luckily I had been resting up.

I think I am going to start playing by bandit rules even if it gets me killed. Offer a way out, and only shoot if needed. I might die more often but "eh" . That's why I like my shotgun, I cna break legs. Force them to give things up, then leave some morphine in their backpack.

I generally let unarmed people go their separate way. If they stick around me too much though, I'll take them down just on principle.

I ran with a guy, to peel some zombies off him, and ditch them in a building. We both walked into a house, and he found a hatchet..and sure enough he came after me..

So, I let him chase me through cherno..about 10 zombies chasing us I lead him into a fenced in area..and promptly alt-f4'ed.

• Like 1

Kill on sight is boring IMO since surviving in DayZ (players aside) is easy. You get more interesting events and interactions from opening direct communication and not blasting on sight. Its a sandbox game so your experience is yours to an extent to make.

Some people server hop at the barracks and to look for crashed helos for the best gear to PvP with. That is Zzzzz to me. More fun to roll the dice. The other day a guy spotted me in the Elektro fire station tower, told me to hold fire he was coming in (didn't explain further beyond that at this point). Met up with him in the garage area of the firehouse, turned out he needed somebody to give him a transfusion before he headed up north to meet up with his friends.

I coulda wasted him and been some morphine, blood bags, etc.. richer, but that stuff is easy come easy go and doesn't bring any story with it. The only enjoyable kills for me are the ones were you are reacting to violence.

• Like 1

I can't believe that asshat with the .45 shot me.... I numerous chances to kill him when he was running along the tracks and I didn't.... Not to say I didn't think about it but I didn't actually DO it lol

I usually play with 4-6 other friends, a couple in the same room as me. One of us got killed and respawned a mile away so he went on his own adventure for a bit to meet back up with us. On the way he found a crippled survivor. He went to the hospital, got some morphine and got him back on his feet then brought him to us to group up.

Upon learning he had GPS I immediately shot him so I could take it for myself. One half of my friends were "You're a cunt." and the other half were "Mother fuckin' GPS, dude!"

We later bumped into him raiding the Balota airstrip after we went to loot the deer stands. One of my friends felt bad for him and armed him up with a spare Lee Enfield we had and a couple of clips of ammo, a spare makarov and some clips, a spare water bottle and a couple of cooked meat.

In real life I wouldn't have done it. But to be honest, in DayZ I'm fucking bloodthirsty. I only trust my friends and even then it's more a case of "better the devil you know than the devil you don't" when it comes to them. I'm normally an incredibly cooperative player but there's just this sense of satisfaction I get from killing... Well, anyone.

Whenever I die in similar circumstances I'm really quite careface about it. Truth be told I love the part where the game is challenging in survival versus the environment. When you get your first hatchet, matches and water bottle you stop being so worried because animals provide plentiful blood supplies and pools of water provide hydration it just becomes a murder simulator. There's not much else to do beyond that. Would be nice if the fight for survival against the environment never truly stopped.

• Like 1

Until the game offers an incentive to not kill everyone they see ... it's kill or be killed.

I generally stick to killing only those that are armed. However today, an unarmed survivor ran up to me, then frantically started looking for a weapon. I unloaded my double barrel into his legs, then finished him off. It only occurred to me moments later that I could have told him to just run away. I am just so used to being shot at that I didn't even think before I blasted him.

I immediately felt like a douche-bag. I decided that from that point on I would not shoot anyone that was not armed. Not 3 minutes later did my friends and I get spotted by some guys who could have easily shot us all but didn't. We exchanged some "You don't shoot, we wont" shouts back and forth, and they let us leave. Down the road I ran into a red brick building and saw a survivor run in with at least 12 zeds on her. Still feeling like a jerk for the last guy I blasted, I told her to run while I killed them all. Hopefully I prolonged that players life a bit. I even felt like less of a jerk after that.

After killing them all, I ran outside to meet a friend, and saw yet another unarmed survivor. I told my friend not to shoot, and we went around him. He then ran into the hut, came out with a .45 and started blasting at my friend. So, I leveled the guy with my shotgun and got a bandit kill... Got my friend up and healed him then we got out of dodge as we heard shots coming in close. Most likely the guys friends.

So, now I am at am impasse. I don't want to shoot every guy I see if I don't have to, but who is to know who will stab you in the back for letting them live. Even after that I think I am going to leave unarmed people alone unless I recognize names as being guys I have seen shooting people/me. Guess I could start writing names down in a dayZ diary :P

So, what do you guys do? Risk getting killed and try to be nice? Or just blast away? Both seem to have their risks, but I am really starting to understand the kill on site players, and the wait and see players....

I like the idea of a diary! It sounds super corny but I look at Day Z as Dungeons and Dragons. Way more fun to open dialouge, see where the story goes, than to just run and gun. If you had just shot everyone you met you wouldn't have had, in my opinion, such an exciting day. I'm jelly that you got to have all kinds of adventures.

:(

Edited by Convoy

I usually play with 4-6 other friends, a couple in the same room as me. One of us got killed and respawned a mile away so he went on his own adventure for a bit to meet back up with us. On the way he found a crippled survivor. He went to the hospital, got some morphine and got him back on his feet then brought him to us to group up.

Upon learning he had GPS I immediately shot him so I could take it for myself. One half of my friends were "You're a cunt." and the other half were "Mother fuckin' GPS, dude!"

We later bumped into him raiding the Balota airstrip after we went to loot the deer stands. One of my friends felt bad for him and armed him up with a spare Lee Enfield we had and a couple of clips of ammo, a spare makarov and some clips, a spare water bottle and a couple of cooked meat.

In real life I wouldn't have done it. But to be honest, in DayZ I'm fucking bloodthirsty. I only trust my friends and even then it's more a case of "better the devil you know than the devil you don't" when it comes to them. I'm normally an incredibly cooperative player but there's just this sense of satisfaction I get from killing... Well, anyone.

Whenever I die in similar circumstances I'm really quite careface about it. Truth be told I love the part where the game is challenging in survival versus the environment. When you get your first hatchet, matches and water bottle you stop being so worried because animals provide plentiful blood supplies and pools of water provide hydration it just becomes a murder simulator. There's not much else to do beyond that. Would be nice if the fight for survival against the environment never truly stopped.

LMAO. My friends and I were in a bus today, we saved then picked up a guy. I told him to get out so I could heal him. I bandaged him, then started to blood bag him... My friend hopped out of the bus and shot him in the face... Granted, the guy was close to shore, had no gear, but I actually felt good for a second helping him... I bet he is hunting me now.... There goes my good karma... Ok, It was funny, but still, I felt good helping someone.. till my friend assassinated him anyway....