SolarClipz

Why is this advertised as a Zombie game?

...because if Zs were actually a threat then you couldn't just run with 10 of them chasing you and insist on shooting other players instead, because THAT is completely realistic.

What part of getting chased by zombies doesn't start out completely unrealistic? I've yet to be chased by one, much less a horde of them in real life, yet to see it on CNN, yet to read about it in the newspaper. Please, inform me of these realistic zombie hordes that the game should be properly modeling and isn't.

Edited by random51

The current (Arma2) game engine cannot handle a realistic zombie/zeds/infecteds behaviour (where for "realistic" i mean what we used to learn from fiction: novels, movies, serials): we can't have thousand zeds filling big cities, permanent zeds moving all across the map, etc. This is why the game turned into PvP/deathmatch .. if you erase all the zeds from the map, the game won't change at all. You play it like you play Arma2, as others mentioned already.

The final (standalone?) game, will be probably different.. eventually based on Arma3.. i dunno. This would be just an experiment, that will turns into a promotional idea (promotional: to build the name "DayZ", so when the final game will be out, it wouldn't come from nowhere.. but it will have a well known name/brandname already).

We still hope the game will turns into a real/mature survival after-apocalypse game/simulator.. but face the reality: it is a game, it is played by many different players (from the adult, passing by the troll, ending to a 12yo kid) .. so there not much you can do, unless you "force" the game mechanic (something that the devs won't to do...). So i'm not sure how you can force a 12yo kid running into cherno with an hatchet while launghing at their friends behind his monitor.. it is a game (again?) after all! :)

Why is this advertised as a zombie game? Stab in the dark but it might have something to do with all the zombies walking around

Hell, why are their zombies in this game at all? They literally provide nothing to the game.

This is a camp spawning sniper simulator. I was excited to finally find a true zombie survival game, but it's just another shooter deathmatch game.

I've played plenty of those and this one is no different, see a human, kill him.

Thing is, it's not really a survival game if you blatantly run around shooting zombies. (Because that is your idea of a zombie survival simulator.

Unless you walk into the city, without doing anything to avoid zombies, or get rid of them, you can't say that they "provide nothing to the game"

When you learn to sneak around zombies, or just kill them efficiently, i don't think they would be your biggest concern anymore. Sad that noone knows though.

This game is made by how you play it.

You want it to be a respawning deathmatch clusterfuck? Awesome, I'll see you soon in Cherno.

You want it to be a zombie genocide? Bust out the M249 and we'll paint the world with undead brains.

You want to survive? Survive.

It's up to you how this game will feel while you play it. "It's in the eye of the beholder." (You got me using that phrase a lot, rocket)

So many inexperienced players here... The survival part in this game is just as challenging as zombies. You can find cans/soda in almost every town. You have to really try hard to die of thirst or hunger. If you think this game is about survival then go find a hunting knife, matches, hatchet and a water bottle and you can stay alive forever in a forest playing the most boring game in the world.

And zombies pose no threat or challenge at all. Their difficulty only comes from being broken and skippy. There's no reward for killing them either. And they are so easy to loose I never kill them. I just run into a town full speed and loose them. If I sneak I do it to hide from other players. Once you get good gear PvP is the only challenge this game has, that's why people are doing it.

Edited by SillySil

When a zed can one-hit knock me out at full health while I'm hopping a fence to get away, he's a threat.

I don't know about y'all but I have a lot of fun shooting zombies.

The game is what the players make it though - if they want to shoot at you the only thing stopping them is other players.

Your servant,

Weld

Edited by weld

It's true it's not a sniper simulation, or a pure PvP game, but as it is now. Bandits roam without any issues, while survivors are having issues, since bandits can just kill everyone they see. While survivors have to hide from everyone, or become bandits.

this game has been advertised? in alpha stage?

cool story brethren

this game has been advertised? in alpha stage?

cool story brethren

He means it's described as zombie survival. Not that hard to understand.

Obviously few here will agree, but I actually tend to think zombies could be removed from DayZ entirely and it would be a much better game.

Some changes would need to be made to make players still play with caution so it's not just a FPS - you still want people on edge. I think this could be easily achieved though based solely on the threat of other players.

Right now, zombies are annoyances and completely out of tune with the actual good parts of DayZ. I never see them as being much more than a secondary part of the game fun and enjoyment wise, and yet they force you to crawl around on your belly in situations where being prone makes little sense really. I've never heard of zombies who can't see thing moving along the ground - it makes no sense.

With a name like DayZ though the path has been chosen, and IMO it was a necessary path to attract attention, at the expense of a better gaming experience. If I knew a similar game that was all about a realistic apocolyptic survival with the junk like zombies removed, I'd be playing that instead.

If there was no zombies, it would be called ARMA 2.

All they would have to do with this game is make the zombies actually threatening. When I see a guy being chased by 10 zombies, but has the time to try and shoot at me as he runs by, I remember that this isn't a zombie game. It's shoot first, ask questions later.

My point isn't how PvP is bad, I could live with it either way, it's that the zombies are barely even a nuisance. People don't team up to survive against the Zs, it's the other people...

When someone is being chased by like 10 zombies they can't exactly stop and shoot without not getting hurt. Zombies are still a threat even when running through towns because they literally sometimes bitch slap you from the side. Sometimes you get hit once and you start bleeding and if there is a pack behind you then bandaging yourself up is a no go. When you shoot a zombie with a gun there is always the possibility of another player in the area. After firing off your weapon now others know you're there. It's not just a PvP game like death-match. A death-match game usually do not have perma-death to the point of losing everything either. I've been playing for about 3 weeks and zombies are definitely still a threat. Especially after they nerfed the pistols recently.

Edited by Swordfish

He means it's described as zombie survival. Not that hard to understand.

well it is.

there are "zombies" and you need to "Survive"

I don't understand the confusion

I'm sure this has been posted a few times already, but meh

Zombies aren't dangerous enough

sure, as a new player they scare you, but once you realise that you can just sprint through the whole town and lose them in buildings (which you're going to loot anyway), the game just becomes way too easy

Also, it's too easy to find good / military gear if you're experienced

I don't really care about dying anymore since it only takes such a short time to get good gear

Edited by Elo

well it is.

there are "zombies" and you need to "Survive"

I don't understand the confusion

What? Zombies are as significant in this game as moskitos. The only thing they're good at is showing if there are players around.

And please. If you think this game is about surviving, find a hatchet, matches, hunting knife and a water bottle and live indefinitely in a forest.

I remember when they had alot more zombies and straight away people complained or when zombies could spot you a mile away and people complained and now people understand how to dodge zombies, people complain. Fact is the game needs to zombies so you have to decide how to go into a town, guns blazing? quiet and sneaky? or sit and watch.

The monsters arent the zombies, its us humans.

if you don't try nothing different to pvp you are right. but i think that if you keep trying to play not carebear but friendly you can find something unespected. and it's not always deathmatch..sure you can't walk in the middle of the street shouting ''friendly friendly'' but you can read the situation and act adapting.

Don't be an ass, just because you got killed doesn't mean the game isn't a zombie simulator and that its a camping sniper simulator.

Dude this mod is exactly what your saying it isn't da fuq are you smoking...i get killed by players more than zombies and zombies are not even a real threat just an annoyance...(buggiest fucking AI, physics ive ever seen)

Also to the person saying go up north...if you go to east or west airfield there are just snipers there too....shit...

This is why the game turned into PvP/deathmatch .. if you erase all the zeds from the map, the game won't change at all. You play it like you play Arma2, as others mentioned already.

It's just funny when people say this though because this holds true for any time of multiplayer game that has players and NPC mobs. It's even worse if you apply this to lets say to PvE only games such as Dead Island, you take out the zombies and now what do you get? what about L4D? OR worse what if you did this for MMO's, lets say you remove ALL NPC mobs in World of Warcraft?!?

I'm just sayin...

The survival aspect really drew me in, I'm not a big fan of zombies really, but I feel as though they are necessary for this game's atmosphere. I started out wild eyed just a couple weeks ago, just my flashlight and bandage at my side. My first three lives were spent in wild paranoia, crawling miles at a time while dealing with perpetual fear. I would see a lootable building and hone in on it, carefully weaving in and out of zombie hordes and hiding indefinitely whenever I even thought another player might be around. All the time though I got this overwhelming sense that I just had to be the good guy, if I found myself armed and saw another player he would be allowed to go his merry way. I was to be the paladin of the apocalypse.

Now well into my fourth life I find myself rife with xenophobia. My buddy likes to watch me play, but has never played PC games so he cannot get into the controls, but having him over my shoulder is like having a second line of thinking. As if my character is becoming schizophrenic. My first close encounter with other players was in a small town west of Cherno, I was getting some much needed food when I looked out the window to see two buffoons aggroing all of the zeds for miles. One of them ran into my building, trapping me in the corner as several zeds broke off his tail to feast on me.

With my trusty hatchet I chopped them down, and as I made my way to the threshold of the building a small voice behind me said, "Are you really going to let them get away with that?" All of my good intentions seemed to vanish instantaneously, hefting my axe up high I darted after the two survivors with malice in my eyes. Stopping to try and reason with me the first one was cut down as my hysteria reached a crescendo. The other managed to escape as I looted his friend for one measly can of beans, but don't think I didn't chase him.

It is now several days farther into my game, and after many hours hiding in bushes around Cherno I am armed with an AS50 earned by another man's blood and sweat, taken by one whistling discharge from my Enfield. The battle to keep it was insane, as zombies flooded the area and other players opened fire a maddening sort of melee occurred. I managed to slay twenty zombies and five players in the span of five minutes. I was the hunted, and in the shell of the prey grows the fire of the predator. This game has a way of wrapping you up inside of it, of making you think of all the evil things that could be done to you, and eventually realizing that it is people just like you who commit these horrible atrocities all in the name of that one simple thing: Survival.

Hell, why are their zombies in this game at all? They literally provide nothing to the game.

This is a camp spawning sniper simulator. I was excited to finally find a true zombie survival game, but it's just another shooter deathmatch game.

I've played plenty of those and this one is no different, see a human, kill him.

Get out of the coast. Stop going to Cherno and Electro.

Go North, like me, and survive. Raid towns, avoid/kill zombies, and occasionally run into other survivors.

The way I play DayZ zombies are definitely important - if they weren't there gathering supplies and weapons would be way too easy up North.