Puffler

Fishing - Tackle, Traps and Rods! *Update*

Fish as a food should be an option, of course, but (as the saying goes) there's a reason it's called 'fishing' and not 'catching'. (See where I'm going with this?) I would take the time to lounge about on the shoreline waiting for a bite, if it wasn't for the flesh eating zombies and trigger happy players who would surely disturb things (to put it mildly).

Traps are far more sensible in this situation. Set it up, conceal it, leave it for an hour, come back and get your catch (if someone else hasn't stolen it!). Good suggestion!

Fish as a food should be an option, of course, but (as the saying goes) there's a reason it's called 'fishing' and not 'catching'. (See where I'm going with this?) I would take the time to lounge about on the shoreline waiting for a bite, if it wasn't for the flesh eating zombies and trigger happy players who would surely disturb things (to put it mildly).

Traps are far more sensible in this situation. Set it up, conceal it, leave it for an hour, come back and get your catch (if someone else hasn't stolen it!). Good suggestion!

Thank you. You sounded like you wanted it to happen. Haha.

Does it have a durability?

Still not decided on that yet. Good idea though.

Do you mean the Rod or Line?

Edited by Puffler

Of course I still need to work out a few things here and there.

Maybe ratio's of what type of fish your gonna get or if you're maybe going to get a tin can or ammo for a gun.

I think this is a good idea because it adds a challenge to the game. Do you think there should be mabye tough fish's that require a stronger line or fishing rod?

Might be a good idea though.

I support this idea! Fishing is a hell of a way to get food.

I support this idea! Fishing is a hell of a way to get food.

Thanks <3 Haha.

Wouldn't mind this at all. Wouldn't change or take away anything from DayZ, just add a little something. Nice work. =]

That's kinda the way I wanted it to go. Not taking anything away from the game and just adding a small way of getting food.

I meant the line, Will it have a durability?

Not too sure. Don't see why it should, but I guess the durability means the amount of line left.

So I will probably begin to add this.

Or Mabye when the line breaks you've got to search for more line. What do you think about that?

Or Mabye when the line breaks you've got to search for more line. What do you think about that?

That's the kinda point. Of course when your line runs out your gonna find some more.

Absolutely think this should be in dayZ. The survival aspect needs more depth. There needs to be more animals in the game and they need to roam around more. Fishing totally needs to be in too. I doubt this will be added before standalone, but I sure as shit hope it will be.

Absolutely think this should be in dayZ. The survival aspect needs more depth. There needs to be more animals in the game and they need to roam around more. Fishing totally needs to be in too. I doubt this will be added before standalone, but I sure as shit hope it will be.

Thank you for your support. I totally agree on the animal aspect and I might start a thread about that soon if you'd like to help with it?

Some additional ideas for this nice feature:

1. There is actually a shovel in the game (currently no use except if you also have an engineering bag, what ever that is :P ) ... so using a shovel to get some wurms is realy easy. Just stick the shovel in the ground (grass usually helps) and start shaking the shovel, the wurms will actually crawl out of the ground and you can just pick them up. A more horrible way to get bait is to grab some maggots from a dead body :rolleyes:

2. Your can or bottle trap will only catch small fish and you would need a lot of them to provide a meal. There are atleast 2 traps that i know of that would work more easily. One is combining some wood + hooked line + bait: slam the wood in the bank and check on it at a later time, this is basically like fishing without hanging around to wait for a fish to bite (if you have the resources setting multiple will increase your chances with just some effort putting them up) ...

second would be what is generally considdered as a lobster trap, making these in game would be hard though, as there is no way to collect small branches (willow is best as its bendy, i am not to sure about reed but it could be used for the weaving) and let them soak in water for a while, so they get realy bendy and you need a bit of rope or a rag. You take a bundle of 10/12 and tie them together at one end, then you start to weave in other twigs to make a basketlike structure for about 3/4 of the way of the base branches. Then at the other end you take small twigs and weave them in at an angle so they 'close off' the top, you can strenthen this by also partically weaving in between these twigs to close off the top a bit more, but always leave a 'closed off' hole big enough for the fish you want to catch and the twigs still need to be able to bend out of the way 'inwards' ... now place this trap in the banks by jamming a big stick through the end, and put some stones to weigh it down... then put bait inside and make sure to mush them up so they disperse a scent ... The fish will now be able to swim in with some effort in the direction of the twigs, but they can not get out. Lobster traps can also be added as a 'drop' from the various boats that lay around the maps.

Nets, these are actually quite useless in most cases, unless you can entirely block off a stream with them. But if a stream is small enough you can also fish another way. Just block off the stream (make a dam), and make another dam with an opening in it.... Then walk up or down stream, but atleast away in the direction you made the open 'dam', and start walking towards it while using a stick to slam on the water, splashing heavily with your feet helps as well... So you chase all the fish into the lil pond you created, and when you get to it you close off the hole... now its a matter of just lobbing the fish on dry land or using a spear ...

Nets maybe 'authentic' enough to be used in DayZ though, and they could also spawn in boats or 'washed' ashore. I personally think that nets could also be the basis for creating one's own guilli suit, just to give a choice whether to use them to fish, or to wear ;)

3. Fish tackle could also 'spawn' from boats or from hunting cabins, though the best way to find them 'in the wild' is to look in between rubble washed ashore, while it's somewhat unlikely to find hooks attached IRL, finding fishing line on the beach if a fairly commen thing, usually it's a big mess, but as you only need about 1,5m bits to make the traps or a fishing rod ...

4. Tin cans can fairly easily be turned into hooks, you don't always need a hook shape either, a inch or 2-3 cm straight piece of metal will also do, it can also be some bone or a stick, but i personally think metal is more easily shaped, sinks and can be made smaller while still keeping strength. but seeing the top and bottom of a can is already 'rolled' it wouldn't take to much to turn it into a viable hook. 'Old' soda can lids also work great given you have some pliers to work them with...

Edited by L0GIN
  • Like 1

Some additional ideas for this nice feature:

1. There is actually a shovel in the game (currently no use except if you also have an engineering bag, what ever that is :P ) ... so using a shovel to get some wurms is realy easy. Just stick the shovel in the ground (grass usually helps) and start shaking the shovel, the wurms will actually crawl out of the ground and you can just pick them up. A more horrible way to get bait is to grab some maggots from a dead body :rolleyes:

2. Your can or bottle trap will only catch small fish and you would need a lot of them to provide a meal. There are atleast 2 traps that i know of that would work more easily. One is combining some wood + hooked line + bait: slam the wood in the bank and check on it at a later time, this is basically like fishing without hanging around to wait for a fish to bite (if you have the resources setting multiple will increase your chances with just some effort putting them up) ...

second would be what is generally considdered as a lobster trap, making these in game would be hard though, as there is no way to collect small branches (willow is best as its bendy, i am not to sure about reed but it could be used for the weaving) and let them soak in water for a while, so they get realy bendy and you need a bit of rope or a rag. You take a bundle of 10/12 and tie them together at one end, then you start to weave in other twigs to make a basketlike structure for about 3/4 of the way of the base branches. Then at the other end you take small twigs and weave them in at an angle so they 'close off' the top, you can strenthen this by also partically weaving in between these twigs to close off the top a bit more, but always leave a 'closed off' hole big enough for the fish you want to catch and the twigs still need to be able to bend out of the way 'inwards' ... now place this trap in the banks by jamming a big stick through the end, and put some stones to weigh it down... then put bait inside and make sure to mush them up so they disperse a scent ... The fish will now be able to swim in with some effort in the direction of the twigs, but they can not get out. Lobster traps can also be added as a 'drop' from the various boats that lay around the maps.

Nets, these are actually quite useless in most cases, unless you can entirely block off a stream with them. But if a stream is small enough you can also fish another way. Just block off the stream (make a dam), and make another dam with an opening in it.... Then walk up or down stream, but atleast away in the direction you made the open 'dam', and start walking towards it while using a stick to slam on the water, splashing heavily with your feet helps as well... So you chase all the fish into the lil pond you created, and when you get to it you close off the hole... now its a matter of just lobbing the fish on dry land or using a spear ...

Nets maybe 'authentic' enough to be used in DayZ though, and they could also spawn in boats or 'washed' ashore. I personally think that nets could also be the basis for creating one's own guilli suit, just to give a choice whether to use them to fish, or to wear ;)

3. Fish tackle could also 'spawn' from boats or from hunting cabins, though the best way to find them 'in the wild' is to look in between rubble washed ashore, while it's somewhat unlikely to find hooks attached IRL, finding fishing line on the beach if a fairly commen thing, usually it's a big mess, but as you only need about 1,5m bits to make the traps or a fishing rod ...

4. Tin cans can fairly easily be turned into hooks, you don't always need a hook shape either, a inch or 2-3 cm straight piece of metal will also do, it can also be some bone or a stick, but i personally think metal is more easily shaped, sinks and can be made smaller while still keeping strength. but seeing the top and bottom of a can is already 'rolled' it wouldn't take to much to turn it into a viable hook. 'Old' soda can lids also work great given you have some pliers to work them with...

Thanks for your feedback and addition. I do like this so I am going to add it in with credit from you at the side.

There aren't any streams in the Map are there? But if there was your totally right about the nets. Love this.

If anyone here has played Zargabad or Chernarus Life, you know that it is not impossible, but will undoubtedly be hard. I myself like the idea of a more stable food source than what we have currently, as I haven't found food in as many buildings as I have in about a week of play. This and farming would be an interesting combination. Let the harvests commence.

If anyone here has played Zargabad or Chernarus Life, you know that it is not impossible, but will undoubtedly be hard. I myself like the idea of a more stable food source than what we have currently, as I haven't found food in as many buildings as I have in about a week of play. This and farming would be an interesting combination. Let the harvests commence.

Haha, Thank you very much.

I really like this idea and this is one of the 1st things I was thinking about when I frist walked up to a lake and I thought to myself that if I was out on my own trying to survive I would be trying to get some fish

I think they should add it to the game that would be awesome!!

Glad others have this great idea!!

Thank you. Haha. :)

more stuff for bandits to steal from me :( hooray!

Haha. Don't worry.