Also' date=' to the people saying "I would just kill myself" or something along those lines, you're forgetting that this is an OPTIONAL ALTERNATIVE to you being killed in the first place. Neither party has to participate in this, it is just nicer than being killed and can offer a more fun game experience than 'kill on sight'.

[/quote']

Yeah, and there are more situations where it's better to be captured. As I've said, there are probably people like me who would leave at least a pistol and some ammo on them so they have a fighting chance.

Also, what if you were captured as a precaution, but you two negotiated some sort of deal. For all we know the captor and prisoner might end up working together!

Id say in most cases people would be handcuffing somebody, eat all of their beans in front of them and walking away laughing after shooting them in the leg.

Which is hilarious.

It needs to be added.

I like the idea, but it'd get abused, and end up a forgotten feature. It might be good for RP purposes, but it just seems way too messy to do well. In the end, it would get annoying to everyone, and who's gonna accept a bargain for someones life when all they need to do is respawn? It'd basically be playing out to a long, drawn out death, rather then just having it be quick and over done with so you can get on with the game. If there was a more severe death penalty, then yeah, it'd make sense, but no. Not in its current form. Imagine a player coming up, hancuffing you, shooting you in the knee, eating your beans, leaving, and you sit there waiting to bleed out. Now imagine that three times a playthrough, every time you play.

A knocking unconcious feature might be a simpler, more effective method. Knocking a player down, looting him, then hiding away to see if he has any team mates coming up to check on him. But even then, still a drawn out death which will just turn off people.

While I understand its an alternative, it's an alternative that has boring risks, and not much of an out come. At all.

I honestly would LOVE to see hostage situations and negotiations, because no doubt that's how a zombie apocolypse would be. It's just way too hard. First you really need to feel the morality of taking someone hostage or shooting them dead, and secondly, you really need someone to fear death that much they would rather be taken hostage.

Horrible idea.

People would run around handcuffing other players just to grief them.

It adds nothing.

Ok, I'm fed up with people saying shit like at the above.

Obviously you have no imagination, or you simply can't be bothered to read the OP. Why don't we just disable guns as you can use them to grief huh?

There's a difference between gunning someone and handcuffing them for a long, drawn out (troll) death. Guns are necessary, handcuffing is just a boring, thankless alternative. While I understand why you want the feature, you have to look at it realisticly. Realisticly, handcuffing just wouldn't work in the game.

I love it, id happily handcuff people given the opportunity, then you can talk to them and decide what to do.

But you'd end up in the same old dilema. You're gonna get shot if you run out of the bushes randomly, trying to handcuff someone. Much easier to say "friendly?". If the feature ever was implemented, try telling me how running up to someone and handcuffing them works out for you.

If it's possible it should be done. Seems like you would need to add player animations, which wouldn't be easy.

I'll leave this one here

But you'd end up in the same old dilema. You're gonna get shot if you run out of the bushes randomly' date=' trying to handcuff someone. Much easier to say "friendly?". If the feature ever was implemented, try telling me how running up to someone and handcuffing them works out for you.

[/quote']

Read the OP.

This is for when you are INCAPACITATED - meaning that it would only be useable when the enemy is knocked out.

Okay, dickish OP, here's the scenario. A group of bandits incapacitate you. You wake up with handcuffs on. They berate and insult you. They call you every four letter word they can imagine. One of them is watching TV or studying for an exam and doesn't mind leaving his character idle, so he drags you off to some obscure corner of the map and keeps you handcuffed for hours on end just because he can. Just because he wants to piss you off. Because he gets a kick out of it.

That is what will happen if this feature were implemented. I have plenty of imagination. More than you, apparently, because I'm capable of imagining how this feature would be used.

you could always just kill your character if its obvious that you're in for hours of sitting. or you could always attempt to escape via running away, considering the guy is afk.

learn to think through your own scenarios before getting so snappy.

Then you end up with "why is this a feature?" If everyones killing themselves to save the griefing.

i still think the positives that it would add to gameplay + immersion outweigh the inconvenience. the possibilities for player interactions seems promising.

Okay' date=' dickish OP, here's the scenario. A group of bandits incapacitate you. You wake up with handcuffs on. They berate and insult you. They call you every four letter word they can imagine. One of them is watching TV or studying for an exam and doesn't mind leaving his character idle, so he drags you off to some obscure corner of the map and keeps you handcuffed for hours on end just because he can. Just because he wants to piss you off. Because he gets a kick out of it.

That is what will happen if this feature were implemented. I have plenty of imagination. More than you, apparently, because I'm capable of imagining how this feature would be used.

[/quote']

Why do people assume that they will steal everything? What, I'm just gonna take your pistol, ONE I ALREADY HAVE, and do what with it?

People can be merciful, people like me are. Take their weapons, but leave one and some ammo. Or drop the weapon nearby where they would have to walk to first. Not everyone would be a jerk and just troll everyone, quit assuming everyone except you is that much of a douche.

I could ziptie someone and just take SOME of their food and water. They could still survive, maybe they WANT to survive. Everything you say is either assuming they're trolling or will simply take everything.

There are multiple reason why one would be handcuffed in a way that's better than normal:

Taking food or ammo mercifully

Use them as zombie bait

Trading them as PoWs

Not willing to kill, but want to play it safe

Griefing (But there ARE ways around this)

Basically anything you would have to kill someone for, now you can do it non-lethally!

There are multiple ways to escape:

Disconnect

Suicide

Running away

Breaking cuffs (If they were zipties)

Someone else freeing them

They still have a fighting chance to live with some stuff intact. Don't assume everyone would just respawn.

While I will give you credit for your motives, how often will two people who's actually genuinely wanted to use the feature would you come across? I'm guessing most of the time you'll have someone who can't be bothered hancuffing and shoot you down, or you'll have someone who just suicides/disconnects. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but realisticly, how often are you gonna come across 2 players that are actually wanting to participate in the situation?

I mean I would, but I can imagine a shit load more people just saying 'F*** it'.

While I will give you credit for your motives' date=' how often will two people who's actually genuinely wanted to use the feature would you come across? I'm guessing most of the time you'll have someone who can't be bothered hancuffing and shoot you down, or you'll have someone who just suicides/disconnects. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, but realisticly, how often are you gonna come across 2 players that are actually wanting to participate in the situation?

I mean I would, but I can imagine a shit load more people just saying 'F*** it'.

[/quote']

I believe you underestimate the players in this game. You can't just go "But what if they don't like it? Better not put it in." They could try it.

It's not like zip-ties will be that common anyways, so if it has negative effects it'll be minimized, but if it has positive effects a few people will have some interesting stories ;D

I for one like this feature. I always say to any bandits in chat that if they see me, I'm not going to shoot them. I'll give them whatever they want, just let my guy live.

This will help some trigger happy people (or just too scared to do anything else) learn a new way to get stuff. They wont have to worry about people shooting back because there is the range handcuff breaking, all they have to do is take what they want, then run free. The cuffs on the prisoner break, and they wont know where the guys went since they are long gone.

I'd say its worth a shot to try this feature out, it gives people an alternative to just shooting to get one thing from someones inventory. Such a waste of life.

You're right, I can't know for sure whether or not there would be huge grieving, but its a huge possibility. But hey, if it was added as a test, I'd be more then happy to try it out.

As I said, it could be messy, and more effort then what its worth

You're right' date=' I can't know for sure whether or not there would be huge grieving, but its a huge possibility. But hey, if it was added as a test, I'd be more then happy to try it out.

As I said, it could be messy, and more effort then what its worth

[/quote']

Yeah, if it doesn't work out then oh well.

This is an alpha, we are here to test what does and doesn't work. :D

I like it! My only question is... what happens if the handcuffed player logs out? I'm sure it could be handled some way.

Honestly can't imagine why anyone outside of machinima would use this. I'd rather die (and lets face it at this point it's exactly what would happen) than get on my knees, allow myself to be handcuffed and be paraded around like Merry and Pippin for 2 hours while some guy with no life gets his jollies off role playing as a douche bag bandit.

Okay' date=' dickish OP, here's the scenario. A group of bandits incapacitate you. You wake up with handcuffs on. They berate and insult you. They call you every four letter word they can imagine. One of them is watching TV or studying for an exam and doesn't mind leaving his character idle, so he drags you off to some obscure corner of the map and keeps you handcuffed for hours on end just because he can. Just because he wants to piss you off. Because he gets a kick out of it.

[/quote']

Why are people so incapable of reading the OP? I'm happy to debate about something as long as the person reads all of the information first.

The player can still run away if they are in handcuffs. If they reach a certain distance away from the player the handcuffs break.

Also you can't dismiss a feature because it has the potential for players to grief. There are already dozens of objects in ARMA which players can use to grief, but still add to the overall game experience.

' pid='63799' dateline='1337913488']

Honestly can't imagine why anyone outside of machinima would use this. I'd rather die (and lets face it at this point it's exactly what would happen) than get on my knees' date=' allow myself to be handcuffed and be paraded around like Merry and Pippin for 2 hours while some guy with no life gets his jollies off role playing as a douche bag bandit.

[/quote']

some people like seeing where any given situation takes them