EDITED OP, IN ORDER TO GIVE MORE PRECISE DETAILS

I think that Handcuffs or some other equivalent should be implanted in to the game, such as zip ties, for basically the following reasons. They're pretty much the same as what I said in the previous OP, but I want to clean it up a bit.

How would the Handcuffs be used?

Handcuffs could use one slot in the utility slots of the inventory (where the compass, map etc goes). Once a player is incapacitated, and cannot move, the player with the handcuffs should see the option 'Handcuff player' in the scroll menu, similar to how they would currently see 'Give morphine'. The handcuffs wouldn't heal the player, it would have to be up to the handcuffer to do that.

The handcuffed player then would not be able to access their weapons, or possibly their backpack, and would instead rely on the guards to feed them etc. To stick with realism, the handcuffed player should run slower than normal, however, they could sprint and risk falling over (similar to how blood loss causes a player to fall over - thanks for the idea _Profile_Shame)

Why would you handcuff? Why not just kill?

At the time of writing, the only actions that tend to be performed on an incapacitated enemy player are either killing them, or letting them bleed out. Handcuffs would give an opportunity for other players to allow the incapacitated enemy to live, whilst being able to do numerous things with a prisoner, such as:

- Holding them hostage. Players could offer to give the prisoner back to the enemy group in return for a ceasefire, loot, or possibly one of their own players back.

- Getting information. Players would be able to offer the prisoner their life in return for information, such as locations of enemies or loot.

- Stealing. Rather than killing for loot, as is usually done, the player could instead just handcuff the prisoner and take the loot from his backpack. This allows the enemy to keep his life and location, which he otherwise would not have.

How would the prisoner escape?

A feature could be implemented where if the prisoner is out of range of the handcuffer, the handcuffs break and the prisoner is set free. This allows the prisoner to escape, whilst encouraging the handcuffer to stay with the prisoner, and not just go round handcuffing other people. This can link back to the possibility of falling over when sprinting with handcuffs mechanism, as it allows the prisoner to risk being killed in order to sprint away and break the cuffs.

What stops the player just respawning or disconnecting?

Absolutely nothing, just as there is nothing to stop a player respawning or disconnecting in the middle of a gunfight. However, players may not choose to respawn, as by doing so they would lose their loot and location in the world. Handcuffing offers an alternative to outright killing a player.

Hope you like the improved OP, and tell me what you think.

Just a quick idea' date='I was wondering whether it would be possible to implement handcuffs or a similar kind of item in the game?

Rather than killing after incapacitating a target, you could instead handcuff them, and essentially take the person prisoner. This would be useful in combat between two rival groups, as prisoners could be traded or held ransom. It would also discourage random killings, as I'm sure the more sadistic players of Day Z would rather take somebody prisoner than just kill them straight away.

It could also help influence politics in the game, through trading of lives between rival groups, or even selling a person of a team back in return for loot such as guns and ammunition.

I wouldn't imagine it would be too hard to implement this kind of feature, and I'm sure it would be a good gameplay mechanic which wouldn't be needlessly overcomplicated.

Anyone else agree?

[/quote']

It would be nice if it was an RP style gameplay, but good luck getting someone to let you put cuffs on them in the regular game mode.

Just a quick idea' date='I was wondering whether it would be possible to implement handcuffs or a similar kind of item in the game?

Rather than killing after incapacitating a target, you could instead handcuff them, and essentially take the person prisoner. This would be useful in combat between two rival groups, as prisoners could be traded or held ransom. It would also discourage random killings, as I'm sure the more sadistic players of Day Z would rather take somebody prisoner than just kill them straight away.

It could also help influence politics in the game, through trading of lives between rival groups, or even selling a person of a team back in return for loot such as guns and ammunition.

I wouldn't imagine it would be too hard to implement this kind of feature, and I'm sure it would be a good gameplay mechanic which wouldn't be needlessly overcomplicated.

Anyone else agree?

[/quote']

It would be nice if it was an RP style gameplay, but good luck getting someone to let you put cuffs on them in the regular game mode.

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking about letting you do it when a person is incapacitated, much like how you can only give someone an epi-pen when they are incapacitated.

This would mean that the person would not be able to fight back, and no roleplay would be needed.

So what does that person do while they're handcuffed?

Can they try to run? Guess it depends on whether or not their legs are broken.

The person who handcuffed them certainly shouldn't have control though. That would be far worse than death and I'm sure everyone would just suicide.

The person who handcuffed them certainly shouldn't have control though. That would be far worse than death and I'm sure everyone would just suicide.

I'd think that they should be able to walk at a slightly faster pace, but not able to run (chances of being able to run consistently whilst handcuffed are slim anyway). This would also cause the 'guards' to walk slower, and would stop the handcuffs from being overpowered, as the 'guards' would have to walk at the same pace.

if i became a prisoner, i wud press ESC, click respawn.

simple as that. i dont think this would work as an IN-GAME feature. it would work well in real life. and i believe thats where ur idea comes from.

if i became a prisoner' date=' i wud press ESC, click respawn.

simple as that. i dont think this would work as an IN-GAME feature. it would work well in real life. and i believe thats where ur idea comes from.

[/quote']

Thing is if they're a prisoner, they retain their location, items etc - a massive advantage over respawning.

yes, ofc. but the person who has u prisoner is obv going to loot u. and on top of that, u have to go where they take u. so u cant really play properly. i wud rather suicide and start at the beach with nothing.

if i became a prisoner' date=' i wud press ESC, click respawn.

[/quote']

In that case wouldn't that leave your body for looting? The person would just take the handcuffs back and all of your loot, not a problem for him.

It's not like the implementation of handcuffs would encourage cuffing makarov wielders.

Edit: Ninjad

yes' date=' ofc. but the person who has u prisoner is obv going to loot u. and on top of that, u have to go where they take u. so u cant really play properly. i wud rather suicide and start at the beach with nothing.

[/quote']

I think you're looking to hard to find flaws with this. It doesn't inconvenience the person who handcuffed you in the slightest if you respawn, and if you do respawn all your loot is gone and you have to start again.

Think of the alternative, if you're incapacitated people will 99% of the time shoot you dead. With this, it brings an alternative.

the only way this could work is if you have to surrender , they would say do you want to surrender in the chat with (yes) (no) if you click yes they would have a option to handcuf you and you would be stuck until one of them pulls out there gun and youcan kick them and get uncuffed , if you say no . they can just kill you in a stand off or a battle . that's only way it could work

the only way this could work is if you have to surrender ' date=' they would say do you want to surrender in the chat with (yes) (no) if you click yes they would have a option to handcuf you and you would be stuck until one of them pulls out there gun and youcan kick them and get uncuffed , if you say no . they can just kill you in a stand off or a battle . that's only way it could work

[/quote']

This isn't the only way it could work, it would be impractical and overcomplicated. Handcuffing whilst incapacitated gives another option, rather than shooting them or letting them bleed out.

This is a stupid idea. Everyone who said players would simply suicide is correct. If someone had the option to put you in handcuffs, they would have the option to loot you as well. Hence the gear of anyone handcuffed would be forfeit anyway, leading players to simply suicide. If they're there to play a game, you really think they're going to sit around while you have your roleplay fun? I don't think so.

This is a stupid idea. Everyone who said players would simply suicide is correct. If someone had the option to put you in handcuffs' date=' they would have the option to loot you as well. Hence the gear of anyone handcuffed would be forfeit anyway, leading players to simply suicide. If they're there to play a game, you really think they're going to sit around while you have your roleplay fun? I don't think so.

[/quote']

Ugh.

The thing is that the player would die anyway if the handcuffs weren't implemented. I'd much rather have a chance at living and keeping some of my loot and location rather than just being outright killed - and so would many people.

If they don't like it, they can just suicide, and that would have no negative impact on the person handcuffing them anyway as they get to keep their loot.

i think this idea is great. would add alot to immersion, there are people that will stick with the character just to see where it goes.

I'd think that they should be able to walk at a slightly faster pace' date=' but not able to run (chances of being able to run consistently whilst handcuffed are slim anyway). This would also cause the 'guards' to walk slower, and would stop the handcuffs from being overpowered, as the 'guards' would have to walk at the same pace.

[/quote']

Right, why the hell would I choose to handcuff someone just to have them slow me down when I could put a bullet in his head and be done with it?

Okay, so I can get handcuffed after getting shot to hell. Then what? I have to follow some guy around and not be able to do anything? Sure I can run off, but what the hell happens after I run off; I still have these handcuffs on and as such would NOT be able to use ANY items.

As a prisoner you still retain every other factor such as hunger, thirst etc. and how a handcuffed person can reach into their backpack and have a snack is hardly plausible. Does the prisoner become immortal? I can certainly see abuse with this as I could simply handcuff my friend to lessen the need for supplies. Do you have to feed your prisoner? If a player simply cannot communicate with you (language boundaries) then you cannot keep them alive and as such they will die.

More to the point, if I shot a guy in the legs and he was bleeding, it's not at all immersive for me to slap some cuffs on him and he's fine to walk the road again. To refer to the abuse thing, if my friend is bleeding out I can slap some cuffs on him and he's going to be just fine.

Also, as people have pointed out, the prisoner is effectively lootable before you put cuffs on him. Take off him what you need (Medicine?) and off you go with the cuffs. So yeah, the guy can run, then what? Do the cuffs come off automatically and even if they do does the effect of his previous bleeding just disappear?

If the bleeding comes back he likely either has zero medical supplies as they are rather scarce already for some new players who don't know where to look and/or they've been looted for their supplies. Then they just die, do you realise this? I could've died a long time ago but some derp cuffed me around for an hour and I died anyway; waste of an hour is it not?

why must there be a way out of every situation? this mod isnt meant to "hold your hand". if you were to find yourself in a situation where you are tied up irl, is there going to be a safety net there for you when you get hungry - aside from finding a friendly i guess

its a fucking survival sandbox, not a wonderland

Okay' date=' so I can get handcuffed after getting shot to hell. Then what? I have to follow some guy around and not be able to do anything? Sure I can run off, but what the hell happens after I run off; I still have these handcuffs on and as such would NOT be able to use ANY items.

As a prisoner you still retain every other factor such as hunger, thirst etc. and how a handcuffed person can reach into their backpack and have a snack is hardly plausible. Does the prisoner become immortal? I can certainly see abuse with this as I could simply handcuff my friend to lessen the need for supplies. Do you have to feed your prisoner? If a player simply cannot communicate with you (language boundaries) then you cannot keep them alive and as such they will die.

More to the point, if I shot a guy in the legs and he was bleeding, it's not at all immersive for me to slap some cuffs on him and he's fine to walk the road again. To refer to the abuse thing, if my friend is bleeding out I can slap some cuffs on him and he's going to be just fine.

Also, as people have pointed out, the prisoner is effectively lootable before you put cuffs on him. Take off him what you need (Medicine?) and off you go with the cuffs. So yeah, the guy can run, then what? Do the cuffs come off automatically and even if they do does the effect of his previous bleeding just disappear?

If the bleeding comes back he likely either has zero medical supplies as they are rather scarce already for some new players who don't know where to look and/or they've been looted for their supplies. Then they just die, do you realise this? I could've died a long time ago but some derp cuffed me around for an hour and I died anyway; waste of an hour is it not?

[/quote']

a) The handcuffs could break after you have reached a certain distance from the person that handcuffed you, this could also prevent people using handcuffs to randomly grief people - and also give an opportunity for the prisoner to escape.

b) The prisoner would retain hunger and thirst, but I'm not entirely sure how these could be seen to. Possibly other players would be able to feed him? I'm not sure.

c) I'm not saying use the cuffs instead of medical supplies, and the cuffs should not magically heal or make someone immortal either.

- Edit: Deleted PS's quote, I'm a silly.

I'd think that they should be able to walk at a slightly faster pace' date=' but not able to run (chances of being able to run consistently whilst handcuffed are slim anyway). This would also cause the 'guards' to walk slower, and would stop the handcuffs from being overpowered, as the 'guards' would have to walk at the same pace.

[/quote']

Right, why the hell would I choose to handcuff someone just to have them slow me down when I could put a bullet in his head and be done with it?

Because the chances are that that person may be part of a larger group, and could be bargained for. Say two groups are fighting on either side of a field, and one of the members of the other group tries to go over to the other group and gets shot.

The group could then take that person prisoner, and request for the other group to ceasefire in return for said prisoner.

Also, the handcuff feature doesn't HAVE to be used, you could just as easily as you put it 'put a bullet in his head and be done with it'. Handcuffs would just allow more interesting interactions between players.

I'm still not seeing any benefits for the capturer.

See latest post.

noss, i am arguing in favor of handcuffs. i like the idea. that post was in response to the comments arguing that 'people wont be able to eat and will be screwed'

i dont think there should be any limitations on the players that handcuff though, if you want someone to follow then just tell them via direct. if they dont, kill them.

im all for things that add to the gameplay, but nothing that builds things in when they arent necessary.

Oh, thank you then haha. Its early in the morning ;)

noss' date=' i am arguing in favor of handcuffs. i like the idea. that post was in response to the comments arguing that 'people wont be able to eat and will be screwed'

i dont think there should be any limitations on the players that handcuff though, if you want someone to follow then just tell them via direct. if they dont, kill them.

im all for things that add to the gameplay, but nothing that builds things in when they arent necessary.

[/quote']

Yeah I agree with the no limitations thing, but I think that the player should walk at a slightly decreased speed just for the sake of realism. Maybe that's a bad idea, I'm just tossing ideas around.

just to clarify, i mean the player that puts handcuffs on others shouldnt be limited, but i agree with slowing down the person that is cuffed. maybe add a chance to prone (fall) if you sprint.

just to clarify' date=' i mean the player that puts handcuffs on others shouldnt be limited, but i agree with slowing down the person that is cuffed. maybe add a chance to prone (fall) if you sprint.

[/quote']

Yeah, the falling when sprinting idea sounds good, like when you faint when you lose too much blood. It would give the opportunity for the prisoner to escape, whilst also posing a risk to attempting an escape.