Sign in to follow this  
adamtheheretic

My M107 for your AS50?

Okay, so I saw a thread where someone asked which they should take... At the time I had neither but I really want the AS50, I found the M107 -.-' Shock eh?

Anyway, people seemed to go for the M107 more so I'm just seeing if any AS50 owners want to trade... I wouldn't be surprised if I got a shit tonne of no's though...

They are silly to take the M107 over the AS50. The AS is simply a better gun in every possible way.

• Like 1

They are silly to take the M107 over the AS50. The AS is simply a better gun in every possible way.

Tell me something I don't know. But some people seem to prefer it... Go get your post count up elsewhere...

Considering I have 3 of each, no thanks. But I really must agree with the other guy. AS50 is better, and I really don't see why I would trade for the M107 besides the fact zoom is adjustable.

Considering I have 3 of each, no thanks. But I really must agree with the other guy. AS50 is better, and I really don't see why I would trade for the M107 besides the fact zoom is adjustable.

You have three of each and you don't know that you can hit the +/- key on your numberpad to extend the zoom of the AS50?

Heh!

• Like 1

Tell me something I don't know. But some people seem to prefer it... Go get your post count up elsewhere...

Such anger. Too bad your trade sucks and so does your thread.

Such anger. Too bad your trade sucks and so does your thread.

Anger? That's like me saying your post was fueled with anger too? It was more annoyance at a post that didn't really have to exist since I attempted to preempt such a response but apparently people will post the obvious. Also, insulting my "trade" and "thread"... why even bother to remain on the page to write that?

I've found two AS50's the past 2 days. The first spawned with no ammo, so I stashed it in a tent until I could get my hands on some M107 mags. The server promptly ate it when it restarted 30 minutes later.

Today, I found another, this time with one mag. However, I had three M107 mags ready for just the occasion. I set my M4A1 CCO SD down to pull my new beauty out of my pack, and the AS50 vanished the moment I set it down. I've still got the mag and everything, the game just doesn't want me to get this gun I've been wanting so badly. I guess I'm glad it didn't eat my rifle too, but it's getting ridiculous. If anyone will take pity on me, I'll trade my Bizon SD PP-19 I also found for an AS50...

Heck, I'd even consider the regular M107 at this point. Hunting for this gun for ages only to lose it both times I get it, not even due to a gameplay mistake. Just wonky ARMA bugs.

Edited by Askar

So why do people prefer the AS50 over the M107? I know the AS50 does more damage but the M107 does 17000 and the AS50 does 33,000 so I really see no difference.

Can the AS50 be zero'd further? You can only see so far anyway...

So why do people prefer the AS50 over the M107? I know the AS50 does more damage but the M107 does 17000 and the AS50 does 33,000 so I really see no difference.

I've actually heard that the M107 is better simply because the sights are more accurate or something. Using mildots that is, but I haven't tested it myself. I just want the AS50 because I've managed to get my hands on it many times, but once I died within the minute and the other two times the gun was eaten by bugs. I've never even seen an M107 but I'd be just as happy with that.

Also, the higher base damage of the AS50 influences other things. Wall penetration, the ability to destroy a vehicle engine in one shot, and I believe slightly increased range/accuracy over range.

The AS50 does equal damage in comparison to the M107 when using M107 magazines, but if the AS50 is using AS50 magazines (which the M107 cannot use), its damage spikes exponentially. This may seem pointless considering the AS50 will one-shot with regular M107 ammunition, but that spike in damage means the AS50 can take out any vehicle with ease. The AS50 ammunition also allows for greater muzzle velocity, reduced bullet drop and a decrease in sound.

So with the AS50, you get over the M107:

-- More plentiful ammunition due to usage of two different magazine types, not just one.

-- Greatly increased damage when using AS50 rounds, making the weapon ideal for destroying vehicles.

-- Greater muzzle velocity when using AS50 rounds.

-- Reduced bullet drop when using AS50 rounds.

-- Reduced noise when using AS50 rounds.

The AS50 is superior to the M107 because of this. The only thing you can viably argue for in the M107's favor is the massive sound generated by the weapon being an intimidation factor when used against other players.

This is a valid question, and so we shall dive into the details:

- First, the damage increase the AS50 Mag provides over the M107 Mag is non-trivial. Sure, the extra damage is overkill for a player, but it makes a big difference when targeting vehicles.

- Next, the accuracy, or ballistic precision, of the AS50 is better than the M107 (1.5 MOA vs. 3.0 MOA). Practically, this is realized in Day Z/ArmA 2 through the dispersion of the rifle. In simple terms, the AS50 will shoot a tighter group at range when compared with the M107.

- The AS50 ammunition exhibits higher performance than the M107 ammunition; that is, it produces a higher muzzle velocity, displays less bullet drop, and reaches a desired range faster (i.e. reduced flight time) than its M107 counterpart.

- The AS50 is notably quieter than the M107. This has significant tactical implications for how long the operator can remain in their spot after firing before relocating to avoid detection.

The only thing you can viably argue for in the M107's favor is the massive sound generated by the weapon being an intimidation factor when used against other players.

There are only two tangible advantages for the the M107: (1) the magnification of its scope (14x vs. 12x), and (2) weapon zeroing at 900m and 1100m (where the AS50 increments zero ranges in intervals of 200m starting at 800m). The latter is mitigated by the increased ranges available to the AS50 (1400 and 1600).

As with many things, it is ultimately a matter of personal preference. However, I would argue that the AS50 is the superior sniper rifle for the vast majority of applications in Day Z.

Edited by wxEcho

You have three of each and you don't know that you can hit the +/- key on your numberpad to extend the zoom of the AS50?

Heh!

One of my friends has 13 but he didn't know of that.

it doesn't mean shit.

I haven't confirmed this my self, but the AS50 is not compatible with NV's, the M107 is.

And yes the AS50 can be zeroed further, check the wiki to confirm.

One of my friends has 13 but he didn't know of that.

it doesn't mean shit.

Your sig is cute in an idiot savant type of way.

• Like 1

I haven't confirmed this my self, but the AS50 is not compatible with NV's, the M107 is.

Nope its not compatible ive tested myself.

The DMR is the only sniper rifle compatible with NVGs in Day Z.

Edited by wxEcho

AS50 - 37551 (M107 rounds) /174204 (5 Rnd 12.7x99mm NATO rounds.)

M107 - 37551

yeah I can see how 37k damage is better than 174k damage with the As50 rounds.. lolyea

Cause the damage really matters, whatever u hit dies, and i see no point in shooting vehicules, if they blow up u have no loot anyway.

I prefer the M107 because of:

-the zoom, i know the AS50 can zoom but that would mean i can't move when i wanna zoom cause my hand is way over there. right mouse button so much easyer

- the looks/sound of the gun. Shooting a person is one thing, making sure his whole squad shits their pants is another. The AS50 almost sounds like an enfield >.>

Cause the damage really matters, whatever u hit dies, and i see no point in shooting vehicules, if they blow up u have no loot anyway.

I prefer the M107 because of:

-the zoom, i know the AS50 can zoom but that would mean i can't move when i wanna zoom cause my hand is way over there. right mouse button so much easyer

- the looks/sound of the gun. Shooting a person is one thing, making sure his whole squad shits their pants is another. The AS50 almost sounds like an enfield >.>

Simply decouple your zoom and breath actions so that you only use RMB to enter/exit the scope. More specifically, I'm recommending you bind discrete keys dedicated to the task of (1) zooming the rifle and (2) holding your breath. Having both bound to the RMB is a disadvantage.

Also, the zoom advantage of the M107 is not in the buttons, but rather in the magnification. The M107 has a 14x scope; the AS50 is 12x.

Your desire to have a loud sniper rifle only means you have a higher probability of being discovered or counter-sniped. Sounds like style over substance to me. <_<

Edited by wxEcho

Simply decouple your zoom and breath actions so that you only use RMB to enter/exit the scope. More specifically, I'm recommending you bind discrete keys dedicated to the task of (1) zooming the rifle and (2) holding your breath. Having both bound to the RMB is a disadvantage.

Also, the zoom advantage of the M107 is not in the buttons, but rather in the magnification. The M107 has a 14x scope; the AS50 is 12x.

Your desire to have a loud sniper rifle only means you have a higher probability of being discovered or counter-sniped. Sounds like style over substance to me. <_<

You're right but a lot of people prefer style over substance... People are speaking of stats as if you need more than an CZ 550 to kill someone...

Ooo, we got a badass over here.

• Like 1