NightRipper

Why BattlEye and not Punkbuster?

Excuse the naive question, but why are they using BattlEye and not Punkbuster? I was looking at the BattlEye website, and it said that BattlEye was used in Battlefield 2, but clearly a switch was made to PunkBuster/PBBans, which is what is currently in use for the Battlefield series. Having come from a Battlefield background myself, I know that PunkBuster was vastly more reliable than BattlEye appears to be, and evidently the folks at DICE/EA figured that one out too, and made the switch. What, if anything, is stopping that same switch from being made with the Arma series/DayZ?

Because DayZ is a mod of ARMA 2 and it uses BE. Its not like they made a new game engine.....

Because DayZ is a mod of ARMA 2 and it uses BE. Its not like they made a new game engine.....

I know that. I'm just saying, since BattlEye is notoriously poor, why does ARMA 2 continue to use it? Could a switch be made in Arma 2, and therefore DayZ? Just wondering if it's even possible.

Well ARMA 3 is right around the corner, so don't expect a lot of effort (other than the BETAs) in support of a 3 year old game engine

PB? my dogs can code cheats for that.

Sigh. I guess it's the nature of the game, then, that makes hacking more visible/devastating. Conclusion: Permadeath = more QQ.

Anywho, thanks for the replies ^_^

• Like 1

Sigh. I guess it's the nature of the game, then, that makes hacking more visible/devastating. Conclusion: Permadeath = more QQ.

Anywho, thanks for the replies ^_^

Hang in there buddy, pretty sure Rocket / BIS + the rest will not let this game die because of this lame shit..Pretty sure the mass hacks will stop soon (no game is cheat free but there`s allot people can do to stop it, even for Arma 2).

• Like 1

Punkbuster has a lot more support and documentation behind it, along with 3rd party groups that support Punkbuster like PBBans. Unfortunately any anti-cheap system can be hacked, nothing's perfect. I would have preferred PB as well, just for the simple fact that there's just so much more documentation on it.

The best anti-cheat system is a knowledgeable and pro-active admin team.

• Like 6

Punkbuster has a lot more support and documentation behind it, along with 3rd party groups that support Punkbuster like PBBans. Unfortunately any anti-cheap system can be hacked, nothing's perfect. I would have preferred PB as well, just for the simple fact that there's just so much more documentation on it.

This +1 absolutely.

Those that say Punkbuster was easy to cheat have never seen the custom checks and streaming implemented by an efficient anti-cheat team.

Beans for you.

• Like 1

PBBans virtual high five!

Edited by KGoBlin

Welcome to Punkbuster. I was kicked from a Battlefield 3 server in Metro Meatgrinder right before it ended. It gave a reason for illegal software.

I looked up the error code, it was Windows Sidebar.

Except Admins have the power to do jack shit, we can't even ban a known hacker from our own server because it's against the terms of service for running a server. All we can do is kick him repeatedly or shut down the server. The server host won't release the files we need to prove he's a hacker because they are worried people will abuse the terms of service. So we're pretty much fucked.

Well that's not what this thread discussion is about, it's about preference of anti-cheat systems. But if you're personally having trouble with a hacker, why don't you just record evidence of him hacking and ban him through BattleEye? If it's solid evidence I doubt rocket or the hosts would ban you if you proactively present evidence against someone that's disrupting gameplay and abusing the system. But if you just suspect the person is hacking because he's killed you, well then that's a different story altogether. I wouldn't ban unless you're absolutely positive and if you're absolutely positive, documenting evidence is easy and doesn't require access to server files. All it takes is a screenshot or a video demo using FRAPS.

anti cheat is always reactive. closing holes and making checks.

Welcome to Punkbuster. I was kicked from a Battlefield 3 server in Metro Meatgrinder right before it ended. It gave a reason for illegal software.

I looked up the error code, it was Windows Sidebar.

where did you "look up the code" Even Balance the developers of PunkBuster, are not in the habit of giving out that information

if you submitted a support ticket with all of your hardware, software and drivers and got that as a response fine

you did not find a credible source on the internet with that information

and yes, the best anti cheat is a good admin team