blackout14@live.com

Kicks by ping, and why its annoying

I'm also confused about how someone with 200+ ping affects people with 50+ ping? it doesn't, at least it shouldn't. your ping affects you and only you. Unless your trying to shoot someone with that 200+ ping, then you may get the drop on them because they're lagging?

Bog down a server? what?

I never join a server where I have a ping higher than 40-50. I'm normally at like 20-30 ping and never have a problem finding servers. I think your problem is you want a server with only 2 to 3 people on it. Those are hard to find at any ping.

With the OP on this too. I cannot join Ausie servers because of the 100 kick, sometimes i spike to 120-150 odd so i use the US ones. Never had a problem with a lot of them and sometimes my ping climbs to 300 ish with them. I see stuff all problems with lagging players and others running with me see no laggging so i dont understand the low kick argument.

A certain flight sim i play has many more calculations per second than arma ever will and when you are sitting on the tail of a 400kph plus fighter plane with another in turn on yours then lag or lack of warping becomes extremely important, i can join and play on US AUS and NZ servers with this sim and have no troubles at all so whats the go with dayz low ping kicks ?

Heck , i have jumped in and played with guys in dayz that are over 400 and many that are 250-300 +. Not everyone is relying on mum and dads paid for top of the range broadband ;)

I don't understand, How does someone's ping affect the other 50 people? High ping affects only you. You said it yourself, Ping is the amount of time It takes for commands to reach from your computer to the server, explain to me how a 200ms delay affects everyone in a server.

Because of the way DayZ works with the Hive, people with higher pings often cause hectic desync for the rest of the server. I'm not entirely clued up on the exact technicalities, but any server admin would be able to tell you that not only is desyncs a lot more frequent when international players play on a server, the server load is also a lot higher and makes the server more prone to crashes.

As I said, stop being selfish by wanting to degrade the experience for everyone else all because you want to play with your friends. Can't find a server that doesn't kick you? Host your own or get your friends to host one.

Totally agree. 100ms - wtf is that? The game doesnt even start to lag until you hit at least 250ms & even then its often very playable.

Noob server admins.

Totally agree. 100ms - wtf is that? The game doesnt even start to lag until you hit at least 250ms & even then its often very playable.

Noob server admins.

Are you an admin? Do you have any experience with running a DayZ server? Okay then. Please know what you're talking about before you start accusing people of being 'noob' admins. :)

Either way, this thread pretty much serves no purpose because people clearly don't want to listen to reason, so I'll just leave you with this; ping limits are there for a reason and they're there to stay. Don't like it? Find another server.

Edited by Zoop

Someone just explained the whole desync thing to me, so here's a more conclusive explanation.

Arma 2 is based on very shoddy network code. Every time a player does anything in-game, the server has to sync that data with all the other players on the server. That means that if you crash your car in DayZ, it has to sync that data to the Hive as well as everyone else busy playing. This explains why people often teleport around each other, because while you're looking at your friend in one place, he might be in another place but the server hasn't sent synced his position to your client yet.

Even when a player simply logs in, it has to sync his position, gear, character attributes like his face and voice etc with every player on the server. That's why there's often desyncs when players join the game.

Now, as you can imagine, for someone living farther away, this whole process will take longer. You might think 150ms is nothing, but when a lot of things are happening in-game, with all the data being sent to and from you it takes a lot longer than for the other players on the server who live closer to the physical server, thus you affect everyone else on the server by making desyncs worse.

It's a crude explanation, but it more or less captures the gist of it.

Edited by Zoop

You failed to read the OP....He stated he plays on super low pop servers ie. no way he would slow the server unless the server in question is in the Hindu Kush Mountians while he plays from east coast USA.

I will say this though having a ping of 150ms is small..Everyone who cry's that your ping is way to high well they must be new to Arma. Before DayZ good luck finding more than 10servers on your list that match under 150ping...Back then you were lucky to find 3 servers that were good ping then you had to worry about admin rules.....

What I notice when I jump on a none "max ping" server people will be all over the board 13-350 ping and the only lag I ever notice is from a "cheap" server or the Hive or a crap-patch. "my own opinion".

Side note when you get 4 guys with 15ping but 500bandwidth yeah INC lag..That I have noticed. The ping rating in game is all screwy and doesnt account for half of the real ping/bandwidth like one of the OP stated already. "Fact"

Been on servers with people around 1500ping but 150BW and the servers roll just fine. "Fact"

So long story short max cap for ping should be 220-250MAX or a bandwidth cap. If your server cant handle that then well buy a better one? I'm no server expert so my info is from personal IN-GAME 3000hours of vanilla ARMA....

P.S. Yes my e-net is faster than 150ms but thats besides the point. Yes 3000 hours of Arma already in my bank & ive been here since Flashpoint when most you the new guys were still in day care programs...

Well, I 'did' read the thread, and I understand what he's saying. Again, those servers aren't always depopulated - I'm sure during peak times many of those servers are reaching capacity. 200ms is quite a bit of delay in a game where a half second can literally mean the difference between life and death in game. My server runs a 150 cap right now, and I have literally no intention of changing it. Why? Because the minute you open the door to 200+ pings is the minute that your server becomes innundated with internationals with such pings, desync errors and myriad other issues begin. The netcode on this game is already slapshod to begin with, and I'm not about to make my server a charity to make it worse.

The guy HAS options. He's choosing to play on low pop servers because it's safer. That's fine, and I totally respect that. If the majority of the servers he's joining have a problem with his latency however, that's HIS problem, not the servers. Why not get a few of his friends together, pool some money and start up their own server where he can play the way he wants? You could run a server with an offset time, probably get the low pop he wants and still be able to set the latency to whatever he chooses.

In short, server admins are already constrained more than enough by the DayZ development team. The Devs have already put out that a ping max of 150 is 'reasonable' and they're not going to legislate a change. His best bet is striking out on his own with his own server.

Edit: And forgive me if I don't take your anecdotal evidence as fact. I'll run my server within the DayZ rules, and that includes setting a ping ceiling of 150.

Edited by Cerven
  • Like 1

Why don't you guys who complain about getting kicked make a server with your own rules? If people want to put limits on their server that they paid for, and continue to pay for, it is their right. You don't like that the rules they have? Then why not find another server that will accept you if you will not pay to host a server?

• Like 1

I had no clue this was such a debateable topic. Ive created a monster.... also, just got brand new internetz today. with 10mbps connection, so this thread is pointless :3

NO, get out of my server if you have 150+ ping. You have no reason being there ruining my gaming experiance. I usually run with 20 ping on Dayz and 30 on Bf3. I can tell when there are lamers on the server with 150+ ping and it is terrible. I will kick you all day long.

I had no clue this was such a debateable topic. Ive created a monster.... also, just got brand new internetz today. with 10mbps connection, so this thread is pointless :3

So basically you pissed and moaned about this, then upgraded your internet - which is what you should've done all along. Hilarious.

You are an idiot arent you?Ping has nothing to do with the PC you have.It's all about your internet connection.And some other factors.

150 ping is not reasonable I would not play on a server if I had a higher ping than 30. People with high ping is ruining the gaming experience and question is why on earth would you play on a low pop server? To cheat the difficulty of the game or what?

I live in Australia, and I have noticed that all Australian servers are complete and utter bullshit. They lag me more than the international servers. So, when I try to connect to the international servers, the least laggy ones get about 150 PING, which is pretty good compared to what I get on the others. But, when I get kicked from those servers because it's 150, I lose my mind. Mind you, those are the least laggy servers I can find, because I can't play Australian servers. I bought the game 2-3 days ago, and was really excited about it! I found a server that was 50-70 PING on average, and I wish it was still up. Sadly, no.

So, some of us don't play international because we want to, but because we have to! Have some sympathy on those of us who have to put up with the lag.

P.S. The good thing about DayZ is it doesn't require a 10-50 PING, like all other multiplayer games, because the only thing the server handles is location and weather, so the only people who will complain are the people who try to kill the laggy players, or the laggy players trying to kill zombies/other players.

tl;dr: Some people can't do anything about lag, and admins need to suck it up. DayZ doesn't need a great PING for people to play.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: And I'm really pissed off about not because able to play the game I paid for because of some bitchy-ass admin needing top PING for all players. Seriously, just suck it up and let us play the f*cking game.

Edit 2: Lol, didn't realise how old this thread was until just then... Sorry about the unneeded bump.

Edited by Arekkusu121

The most annoying thing about DayZ is that most servers set their ping kick WAAAAY too low.

...i live on the east coast of the US

...i usually go with DE, GB, FR, SE, RU, etc... servers.

Am I the only one here who face desked extremely hard after reading the original post? Astouding, just astounding. *slow claps*.

Am I the only one here who face desked extremely hard after reading the original post? Astouding, just astounding. *slow claps*.

I know, this guy should consider himself lucky to have servers near him. All the servers I have are in America and have 250 PING

Edit: I'm Aussie, BTW

Edited by Arekkusu121

I think most australians have that problem, for example me. I live in Perth which is one of the most isolated capitals around, the anz servers are in sydney(?) which is like 1000's of km away. The best ping I can get on these is around the 70-90 mark, and I consider that good. Plus Australia has a shit broadband network anyway.

Like you have the right to choose on which server you want to play on, I guess server admins have the right to choose which qualities a player needs to bring with him when he wants to play on that particular server.

Nice rant, but without meat. Just join a US server and get used to a .. "higher population". If you don't want to do that, you might want to consider setting up your own private hive on your home computer. You get zero ping and zero players.

wise-ass info for those who do not know why latency is not the same as bandwith: imagine a URAL full of 1TB Harddisks driving from Bere to Kamenka. Assuming it carries 1000 harddrives and it needs about 15 minutes to get there, the bandwith is 1Petabyte/15minutes, while the latency is 30 minutes (driving there and back).

Edited by phnordarossa

I played on a server with 52 ping limit, god it was great to play. Too bad the hoster stopped hosting dayz.

Edited by Vipala