Sign in to follow this  
slugsmoneygirls

put log out timer and make guns do less damage to players

Riot isn't trying to make the game realistic but he is trying to make the game authentic. I think everyone here can agree with the logout timer, however I think there may be some limitations of the ArmA2 engine that prevent an easy way of implementing this feature. Rocket recently spoke of a patch coming next week that would be the first attempt to address the Alt+F4 exploit in a punitive way and how players behavior changes will determine future fixs applied to this end I believe.

The ArmA2 engine is exactly what DayZ needed, it's why DayZ exists and while it doesn't do the things you seem to be upset about very well it does that it needs to well enough. Rocket never expected DayZ to be this popular and I think it's clear that while some issues with DayZ will remain because of the game it is a mod of the standalone version will hopefully eleminate these issues. You can say what you like about the ArmA2 engine but it does what it was purposed to do well. The Unreal Engine does a lot of things well and a lot of big flashy games use it because of this but clearly it's not what ArmA2 needed or wanted when it came to a military simulaton.

Finally, to the bullet damage. Just no. I can't say I agree at all with your stance here. I enjoy the game just fine and have never found the damage the weapons do to be too much. The game is cruel and unforgiving, it's not fair and sometimes you will get unlucky. How much of an opportunity do you think three or four more bullets needing to be pumped into your body going to give you? I can let off a while pistol clip pretty quickly and some rifles have very little recoil. It can be difficult to shoot at longer ranges with unscoped weapons and if someone is so close to you that aim is barely a consideration so much as whether or not you've detected their presence yet before they let loose a hailstorm of bullets then I don't see how lessened weapon damage will do anything other than possibly lessen the tension of firefights, thus destroying the authenticity. Your life in DayZ is and needs to be fragile otherwise your heart won't race and dread won't fill you when you hear gunshots, a vehicle or detect the presence of other players in the area in the number of ways you can. You're right, absolute realism would not male DayZ fun, its ability to evoke true emotions other than excitement from the player is what makes it fun.

no military firefights last for ages because aiming a gun IRL esp. when coming underfire is no where near as easy as pointing and clicking a mouse.

games reduce gun damage from real life hypothetical values in order to compensate for the ease of aiming and the lack of atmosphere that negatively affects in games.

the game is essentially a COD style deathmatch btw, have a look at cherno/elektro <-- what most players do. the game is actually very boring unless you force yourself into dangerous areas like airfield or big cities. and its all over in 1 shot because someone was hidden and impossible to see unless you ran through or because they happened to come across you from 400m+ away while your back was turned..... how am i meant to now someone hasnt been camping the barn im about to enter for the past 10 mins or maybe the conveniently log in and spawn there just before i enter. it has happened to me before as the victim and as the aggressor and the outcome of the fight is mainly determine by luck. you guys are complete idiots if you cannot understand this.

This, most kiddies haven't ever fired a real world weapon and think its as easy as in a video game, its not, real world weapons have weight and other thing's not to mention human hands tremble and light effects your vision. In the real world you can't just turn off all your graphic options to see people perfectly miles away either so the realism arguement is a straw man at best, also like i mentioned earlier guns are not 1 shot kills like in the movies, unless your hit in the heart or brain, anywhere else you have a pretty good chance of survival or an even lower chance of dieing later from blood loss/complication's.

Edited by neo2157

more about skill rather than the luck of positioning. i have realised the arma2 tryhard realism simulator faggots

Positioning isn't about luck. That's why there is a watch/compass/GPS/Map/Weather/Day/Night system.

You missed the point son.

Positioning isn't about luck. That's why there is a watch/compass/GPS/Map/Weather/Day/Night system.

You missed the point son.

ok i am going to try and explain this to you

imagine 2 players moving towards each other. they both have say for example 300m kill and vision radiuses.

player A comes from the north going south and player B comes from the south going north.

eventually their view radiuses collide. let as assume that both players do a 360 scan as soon as their vision/kill circles collide.

they both begin to scan from the direction from which they were running and they can choose to either scan clockwise or anti clockwise. since the players have not yet spotted each other. the choice of whether to scan anti clockwise or clockwise is not based on skill,logic, reasoning, and therefore the outcome is determined by luck.

there are 4 possible outcomes (i have even drawn a table to help retards understand)

player A (running north to south) player B (running south to north) outcome probability

scans clockwise scans clockwise spot each other at the same time; battle of skill 25%

scans clockwise scans anticlockwise player B spots first and wins; he got lucky 25%

scans anticlockwise scans clockwise player A spots first and wins; he got lucky 25%

scans anticlockwise scans anticlockwise spot each other at the same time; battle of skill 25%

in this scenario 50% of the time the battle will be determined by luck and 50% it will be determined by who is a better shooter.....

in the open, away from cities this sort of thing happens a lot and lots of people are killed/get kills because they happened to spot the other first out of sheer luck....

Edited by slugsmoneygirls

Log out timers are not good ideas. Maybe five seconds but not for 30 seconds. That's ridiculous. If I log out somewhere for legitimate reasons and come back to find my character dead because I can't defend myself I would be mad. It punishes honest players as much as exploiters and that's not what you should be going for.