I think from a realism standpoint, a splint would be a better way to fix a broken leg than morphine. If splints were introduced maybe you could make one by having a hacthet and knife, and using on a wood pile? This way you wouldn't be stuck in a northern city after being attacked by zeds, far, far away from a hospital. You could crawl to trees and make yourself a splint, provided you have the proper materials. The main issue I can see with the idea is it removes a major reason for going to hospitals. Players might not even ever need to, unless they get sick and need antibiotics. Animals = blood, trees = fixed broken leg...could be an issue. I would be thrilled to see splints introduced if they could be done well. Any thoughts?

• Like 3

Yeah I like it and it's more realistic. Perhaps a reduced movement until you take painkillers or morphine.

Would the broken legs heal over time? Guess it would have to be sped up in game to make it playable.

Beans on the way.

• Like 1

i don't see an issue with people avoiding hospitals. surviving in the wild is harder and there is a definite advantage of having bloodpacks etc

so i agree splits would be a good idea, people have survived on the land for thousands of years

I like the idea of the bone healing over time, and moving slower until it has. I know some people like having to go to hospitals....the risks involved ect. I personally would love to be able to live completely off the land.

with a splint, reduced movement, until it heals, morphine for an immediate fix, but maybe still reduced movement and then you HAVE to apply a splint to fix it perma?

Maybe morphine could be used as a temporary (5-10 minutes?) relief allowing full movement, but you would need to splint and let it heal to fix it perma. Making morphine something used in sticky situations where making a splint isn't possible?

then wouldn't you just hold splits in your bag instead of having morphine at all?

then wouldn't you just hold splits in your bag instead of having morphine at all?

Splints could take a while to apply, making them something you could only do while in a safe area?

This is the first splint idea I've read so far that I don't completely hate.

Having a splint should give reduced movement (maximum speed is perhaps walking pace), remove the ability to "jump" over fences etc, and make you unable to crouch.

Once morphine is taken, the splint will be automatically removed and disposed of. Not knowing how the ARMA engine is built myself, I can only suggest using a splint like a "status" change for easy implementation. The hard part would be making the animations work with it, since one leg would have to be stiff if you really wanted to pull it off. I personally don't care if the animation stayed the same and you couldn't even see the splint... but that's probably just me.

Great idea... thinking about the other day when I broke my leg getting out of my little red Skoda, somehow. On thin air I imagine... right in the middle of nowhere, and had no morphine. The ending results were disastrous in fact. I had a hatchet, trees nearby and bandages (which I would think you could use to tie/wrap it to your leg) but no morphine. In the end what killed me invariably was the ability to not be able to walk standing up. I got wedged between my tent and the car, then blammo. Instant physics glitch death crunch.

Selfishness aside, I think it's a really great idea.

I would think the recipe would be:

REQUIRED ITEMS:

Woodpile

Bandages

METHOD:

Right click woodpile, with bandages (also) present in inventory;

-> Make Splint

I hope to see this considered.

~Sol

Edited by Sol

I agree with the fact it should only be a status effect, and changing the animation wouldn't really be necescary. It could just prevent the user from running (always moving as if SHIFT was held down) until it healed or morphine was taken. I also like the idea of vaulting being removed....I don't see myself jumping around with a broken leg. The recipe I agree with, but perhaps you need a hatchet or maybe a hunting knife in your inventory to make the splint. Would make it slightly harder to make. Glad most people like the idea so far!

I do think it is a major issue that you could be more than half way across the map away from a hospital and this is a good, logical, and still resource demanding solution.