Sign in to follow this  
The Alphabeat.

Lethal trees

So yesterday I was sniping people in Elektro from a hilltop along with two friends of mine. At a certain moment, my friend wanted to relocate and he proned around a tree, and suddenly broke his legs and died instantly. How is this even possible? He just died as if he was shot, but I heard the cracking of his legs right before he died. Why does this happen? the branches of trees can kill you or something or is this a bug? He lost all of his valuable equipment because of a lethal tree.

Confirming this. Same thing has happened to me and a few others in my unit. I was crawling under a pine tree for cover when it happened. Its also happened while going prone next to tents.

Edited by Sveris

Because they just lay there and don't move much, snipers leg muscles atrophy rapidly in the game. Your friends shriveled, brittle legs just couldn't take moving.

It's a ...bug? Shitty functionality? I don't know what to call it.

It's a thing that happens in Arma and it has to do with your prone character clipping into other objects. There have been literally dozens of threads about this, and doors, and rocks and stuff.

Edited by Disgraced
  • Like 1

Because they just lay there and don't move much, snipers leg muscles atrophy rapidly in the game. Your friends shriveled, brittle legs just couldn't take moving.

It's a ...bug? Shitty functionality? I don't know what to call it.

It's a thing that happens in Arma and it has to do with your prone character clipping into other objects. There have been literally dozens of threads about this, and doors, and rocks and stuff.

But tell me why? It isn't supposed to be happening like that. Is there no way to void this or is it simply because of the ArmA engine?

You never know what will kill you in this game. It makes things interesting.

Actually, I have something worse. I swiveled on the floor off a house and my leg turned into the door-frame. Leg breaks, I'm in shock and unconscious. I wake up after losing half my blood, bandage myself, crawl to a church and try to look at a map to see where a hospital is since for some dumb reason I dropped my morphine, and while in the map i get hacked to death by some scrub with a hatchet (had an ALICE pack, a good gun and tons of supplies)

I blame the fact that we are essentially driving puppets, not controlling avatars. They react to the world and it forces serverside, not client side (just like WoW), so to the server I essentially snapped my leg in half by turning in a doorway...

Edited by Muffinsforever

But tell me why? It isn't supposed to be happening like that. Is there no way to void this or is it simply because of the ArmA engine?

The why is fairly simple if, as usual, I talk out my ass and make up an explanation.

The game engine is modeling a collision between objects. When you turn, the rate of motion in order to make it feel like its not taking forever for you to rotate is very fast. So it's kind of the equivalent of slinging your characters legs into something at high velocity.

I'm pretty sure there's something there about how the character model is rendered so close to the ground or near things that are almost at ground level (like how when you drop things on certain "floor" surfaces, they effectively disappear, presumably they try to drop to the real ground below, can't be modeled and vanish.

Basically, it's a glitch in the physics engine.

The why is fairly simple if, as usual, I talk out my ass and make up an explanation.

The game engine is modeling a collision between objects. When you turn, the rate of motion in order to make it feel like its not taking forever for you to rotate is very fast. So it's kind of the equivalent of slinging your characters legs into something at high velocity.

I'm pretty sure there's something there about how the character model is rendered so close to the ground or near things that are almost at ground level (like how when you drop things on certain "floor" surfaces, they effectively disappear, presumably they try to drop to the real ground below, can't be modeled and vanish.

Or they tried to get snugly with Treebeard.

-MONSTER

Ah.... guess I wont be camping too close to pine trees next time then.

Can confirm the killing trees,

while raiding Polana with a friend our overlook was under a large tree on the mountain north of Polana when he said over voice that he was killed.

We ran into a building getting ready for the attack when he said that he wasn't shot but that the tree broke his bones and killed him when he tried to move a bit.

Wait till you get eaten by a door, like me recently. Trees at least have a sense of justice, mauling at evil snipers ;)

Greatest movie ever made.

*Screaming woman runs past, ablaze - after plane just crashed.

*Nicholas Cage - "Hey! HEEEEY!"

:huh:

-MONSTER

*Screaming woman runs past, ablaze - after plane just crashed.

*Nicholas Cage - "Hey! HEEEEY!"

:huh:

-MONSTER

Wrong movie :emptycan:

SHIT! That was The Knowing or something. FUCK!

-MONSTER

The Shining? And if so, that was with Jack Nicholson

No, it's the one where aliens know the world is about to be destroyed so they end up taking all the children from the world and putting them on a new 'Eden' so to speak. Kinda weird, but very funny in how serious it takes itself.

-MONSTER

No, it's the one where aliens know the world is about to be destroyed so they end up taking all the children from the world and putting them on a new 'Eden' so to speak. Kinda weird, but very funny in how serious it takes itself.

-MONSTER

I believe the movie is called "the knowing" a British-American sci-fi movie made in 2009.

Edited by Verril1