Sign in to follow this  
resqman911

Everyone is a Bandit

At first starting out i was always playing the ask first, then maybe shoot, but always being cautious. After my friend and i crawling up mid-north encountered a "survivor" and A not shooting first, he capped my friend in the face (i then promptly killed the guy). After that my friend and i decided we would just be ruthless and avoid or kill anyone we see. Funny enough i stumbled upon some guy in a barn (Who i thought was my buddy at first) and he ended up staying around with us for about 30minutes.. so much for being ruthless haha. But in all seriousness if you can't avoid a person its either kill or be killed.

The problem is that dying isn't harsh enough. If I die I can just spawn on the coast and run to the Balota airfield or whatever and be roughly back to where I was. Because of this, playing full bandito or dickbag survivor has no penalties to running and gunning. You die? Go to the coast and restart. You live? You get more loot. Get in trouble? DC and run to another server.

The solution is to

A) make it a harsher world, so players have to spend more time getting set up and ready to go. Temperature is a good addition in this respect. Make it so it's hard to run and gun without first having fire and food and medications and a plan. Spreading the loot would also help, so that the CoD kiddies can't just run through some hunting stands and then hit the airfield to get set up. Making things like ammo and higher power weapons more rare might also help.

or B) harshly penalize respawning and disconnecting. Make it so dying forces you off the servers for some time. Respawn? You've now only got a mak and one mag, an empty canteen, and a can of beans, no pack. Disconnect in a firefight or a horde? Game assumes you've run from a fight and spawns you in the forest with your pack *maybe* gone and gear fallen out. You ran like a bitch, something probably got lost on your exit. The more zombies are after you or other people shooting at you, the more stuff you have a chance to lose.

In such a way, dying is extremely detrimental. Playing in a CoD or BF3 kiddy style is possibly as rewarding as it is now, but if you fuck up or run away you're screwed. As it stands, players don't mind dying. Make it so dying is the worst possible thing that can happen.

I'm way too nice, I see a guy with a nice AK so I deceide to let him live, idiot tries to bust a cap up my ass.. so I shot him in the head, normal circumstance I would be bandit.. now i'm not..

I like the change a lot.

And people being dicks, it's your own choice basicly.

Everybody is free picking now.

i was playing on a ARMA: FREE mini-version of Day Z, it was the whole survival thing too, i went miles in a truck to pick someone up, after a bit of walking around with them, he shoots me with a sniper. I didnt die, the server had some real lagg issues so i just ran away.

I'm way too nice' date=' I see a guy with a nice AK so I deceide to let him live, idiot tries to bust a cap up my ass.. so I shot him in the head, normal circumstance I would be bandit.. now i'm not..

I like the change a lot.

And people being dicks, it's your own choice basicly.

Everybody is free picking now.

[/quote']

Ops, here comes a double post.

I "thumbs"? up'ed your profile. You think the exact same way as me :D

There's no reason of doing anything else than killing other survivors' date=' since because there's no downside of doing it, but the opposite: the first to shot will live for longer.

If you read about comments on this or any other forum, you only need a couple of days to figure it out (it happened to me too): you start with good whilling, you say "i do this, i'll team up with survivors to fight zeds.." and all this good stuff, but the second day, after you have been killed like 50 times for no absolute reasons (ie: having to precious item to make you a target), you understand that the only way to play is to kill anyone else, like any other FPS. At the moment, until something will be done (if it will be done) is pretty like a deathmatch, the zombies are only a fun "side dish".

[/quote']

This guy nailed it 100%.

This is my EXACT gameplay experience and now adopted behavior.

I want to experience the game in a way that makes it feel like I'm in a movie/tv show trying to survive , not a mindless shooting with griefers.

All in time I guess.

seriusly whats the point on killing someone on starting gear?

It's just a consequence... most of the time it's not to get their gear but to avoid they shoots at you (shot for first rule). They'll do (inverse case) to get your gear (because they were bandits respawning looking for a fast upgrade) or because they are newbie CoD players (they doesn't know anything else than firing at the "enemy"; where the enemy is anyone rather than yourself), or they do just for fun (did you ever seen a guy screaming in a room: "lookH daDhh i juFt shoTT thifH guy in the head fh fhfhfh").

The only way to avoid this behaviour then is to balance being a survivor or being a criminal. Nor that one side should be the "right" way to play, but it must have its DISTINCTIVE way (advantage and disvantages).. it's like those games HumansVSVampires.

In example a bandit can be more prone to suffer the cold (being infected), but it may have more blood reserve.. and stuff like that.

So the player can chose to be one or the other.

At the moment this sort of balancement doesn't exists, and being eveil gives you an enormous advantage.

I just scout 'm for a bit, most of the time I don't even care for them.

but if they do shoot me they better kill me because I will not fail unlike them.

I would disagree, and tend to lump the bandits in with the CoD kiddies. They treat it with the same 'just a game' mentality too. There's a difference between being wary and keeping clear (which I've tended toward when not playing ONLY with friends) and shooting first as 'preemptive defense' or to take their stuff. If you're actually roleplaying, the decision to take a human life should be as weighty as it is for you in reality. Otherwise? You're just another CoD kid.

It really more comes down to what kind of a person you are.

I've come across a fully-loaded AFKer prone out in the woods. Easily could have shot him and taken a full load of gear. Instead, just grabbed a bottle of water out of his pack (as I was dying of thirst), and put the empty back. Because I'm not a raving asshat.

Take what you need. Don't be greedy. Forage for your own supplies. Plan ahead.

As a bandit, I agree that the system should be restored. I shoot everyone on sight, I wore my bandit skin with pride. Killing survivors was akin to killing a sheep, sure you get some sorely needed food and supplies; but the kill isn't really challenging or enjoyable. Killing another bandit however was like taking down a man-eating mountain lion. Something that was hunting you at the same time you were hunting them. Knowing that you came out of that encounter between predator vs. predator on top gave you a remarkable sense of achievement that is now lost. I understand you want it to be realistic..but be careful about over doing it; it is a video game after all.

When I first started the game, I always went out of my way to help survivors, I was killed or left to die. Over the next few days I played I became a bandit from self defence, so you basically get shot at by everyone and anyone over a "skin" regardless if you're friendly.

It's not a matter of not wanting to help, it's the matter of not wanting to lose everything you've worked for. So I shoot anyone on sight now, unless I feel they can be totally avoided, if there's even a chance of remeeting in a town and being shot, I just shoot them.

Everyone's not a bandit, they are sometimes forced to become one because of circumstances.

I was in a barn getting supplies yesterday when I heard a shot outside, fixed my weapon on the door and waited, a survivor ran in and immediately saluted, I turned my back to him and either I or him could have pulled the trigger, neither of us did, I left the barn and watched outside while he was looting and warned him of any zombies closing on in him, I never seen him again.

I will not shoot on sight but I am cautious with any meeting with another survivor.

I will not shoot on sight but I am cautious with any meeting with another survivor.

Explain me how you could be "caution" with me, if my intention is to kill you...? Are you going to point your gun at my head every single moment until i go away?

77206 alive characters

8210 bandits

10% of Characters are bandits, that's hardly "everyone".

Explain me how you could be "caution" with me' date=' if my intention is to kill you...? Are you going to point your gun at my head every single moment until i go away?[/quote']

My weapon is pointed at you, depending on your actions I'll either turn away or open fire, I haven't killed a survivor yet as people seem to react differently when a weapon is already pointed at them.

just shoot everyone and steal their stuff. there is no negative for doing so - it's all positive. no one knows you did it. you get free loot and you're alive. 100% in the black.

My weapon is pointed at you' date=' depending on your actions I'll either turn away or open fire, I haven't killed a survivor yet as people seem to react differently when a weapon is already pointed at them.

[/quote']

So lemme figure it.. we'll walk, for the time we'll be together, let's say 30 minutes, with our guns pointed at each other like two idiots? And if you shot at you, would you do? You can shot at me back with a bullet already into your head? This is your solution to the skin removal?

never killed a survivor to date. Though got killed by survivors on separate occasions.

Yesterday a just found an M4 CCO. Met to survivors, instantly went my way and left them. When i waited for a buddy they hunted me down.

From now on I'll just shoot anybody coming close. It's sad, but the only trust I have left is for the guys with me on TS3. In my eyes this really spoils the game. Within the first days almost any survivor was friendly. You helped each other, shared stuff - great times.

It seems that DayZ is becoming a deathmatch now.

^^ yep same way until yesterday. Never killed a survivor but yesterday I did. Still I think there is a way to play that can be fun for those of us that don't want to deathmatch the game like the bandits do. We just don't get the free pass that the bandits do.

Out of all the people that killed me in the game, I think it was done by a bandit 2 times out of 50+... so now I just kill people if they come my way. Prefer to leave them alone and will if they go the other direction, but since the humanity change I still have my bandit skin and still just get shot on sight by everyone.

Can't say I really mind though; taught me to be more careful in the game, where to get decent gear fast and to simply not trust anyone. Would probably be the same in RL if we lived in such a world.

As a previous post mentioned; the fun is more in bandit vs bandit then bandit vs survivor honestly. No rush in shooting someone just walking doing his stuff, way nicer to hunt a bandit who is hunting you or someone else.

My weapon is pointed at you' date=' depending on your actions I'll either turn away or open fire, I haven't killed a survivor yet as people seem to react differently when a weapon is already pointed at them.

[/quote']

So lemme figure it.. we'll walk, for the time we'll be together, let's say 30 minutes, with our guns pointed at each other like two idiots? And if you shot at you, would you do? You can shot at me back with a bullet already into your head? This is your solution to the skin removal?

No obviously, whatever gave you that idea?

Every single survivor has a little thing they do that I look for, that gives me an idea on their intention, it's what's kept me alive so far. I'm not posting that here so don't ask, that's my own personal tactic.

Any survivor that doesn't do what I'm looking for will be shot.

I forgot to add, I've met around 8 survivors so far, them and I have walked away from each encounter.

Whoever said it earlier hit the nail on the head.

There is absolutely no negatives for becoming a bandit. Fast, and decent kit acquisitions, fresh beans, water bottles, you name it, and all with zero consequences.

There are considerable negatives for wishing to help out your fellow human beings, the most common is being shot while trying to approach them.

The game has turned into Death Match because there is literally no reason not to kill.

Having said that, myself and my buddies generally go about our business by ourselves. We never fire unless fired upon, and are willing to trust survivors if they apporach us. We let them know quite plainly that if they mess with one of us, the other three will kill them immediately. That includes us simply "thinking" they're suss. We reserve all rights to judgement.

--Bandit

There's no reason of doing anything else than killing other survivors' date=' since because there's no downside of doing it, but the opposite: the first to shot will live for longer.

If you read about comments on this or any other forum, you only need a couple of days to figure it out (it happened to me too): you start with good whilling, you say "i do this, i'll team up with survivors to fight zeds.." and all this good stuff, but the second day, after you have been killed like 50 times for no absolute reasons (ie: having to precious item to make you a target), you understand that the only way to play is to kill anyone else, like any other FPS. At the moment, until something will be done (if it will be done) is pretty like a deathmatch, the zombies are only a fun "side dish".

[/quote']

This guy nailed it 100%.

This is my EXACT gameplay experience and now adopted behavior.

I want to experience the game in a way that makes it feel like I'm in a movie/tv show trying to survive , not a mindless shooting with griefers.

All in time I guess.

Agreed. Making it another FPS deathmatch game is a bad, bad thing. ArmA2--a great game btw--is a bit dated, et al. If the choice is the newest shiny graphics, etc. for the exact same gameplay experience, then DayZ will lose out.

I played WWIIOL for years; it was a great game in its day. You played UK or French vs. German--it was all about coordination, cooperation, etc. I get the fun of just not knowing if the other guy is a PK'er. The Killah gets his rewards in the system now (e.g., your stuff), while the human gets the shaft. Where is the advantage for cooperation?

Love some of the comments here. Some are well thought out; others, not so much. I have to laugh at the Lone Wolf McQuades--if it was RL, the Zeds would be the end of the human race (don't cooperate, kill everyone in the way, and so on...)

Interesting study of human nature, this game.

Out of all the people that killed me in the game' date=' I think it was done by a bandit 2 times out of 50+... so now I just kill people if they come my way. Prefer to leave them alone and will if they go the other direction, but since the humanity change I still have my bandit skin and still just get shot on sight by everyone.

Can't say I really mind though; taught me to be more careful in the game, where to get decent gear fast and to simply not trust anyone. Would probably be the same in RL if we lived in such a world.

As a previous post mentioned; the fun is more in bandit vs bandit then bandit vs survivor honestly. No rush in shooting someone just walking doing his stuff, way nicer to hunt a bandit who is hunting you or someone else.

[/quote']

Excellent points, all. Maybe the game should somehow work in bennies for bandit vs. bandit killing (ex: if you have low humanity and you kill someone who has low humanity as well, it adds some humanity back in...sort of a Punisher style player? Bad guy becomes vigilante?).

Out of all the people that killed me in the game' date=' I think it was done by a bandit 2 times out of 50+... so now I just kill people if they come my way. Prefer to leave them alone and will if they go the other direction, but since the humanity change I still have my bandit skin and still just get shot on sight by everyone.

[/quote']

Recently I was tooling around with MR DELIGHTFUL and we came across two bandits who were sitting at the corners of a hangar at NE, waiting for the survivor inside to walk out so they could gun him down (they had shot at him twice previously at range and missed). The survivor had run to the back of the hangar to bandage, and both went around each side to wait.

I pulled out the old M24 and set up, and MR DELIGHTFUL spotted for me.

Two rounds later and both bandits were lying face up.

Myself and MR DELIGHTFUL pulled out to go make a fire.

The guy asked in chat who killed the two bandits, and I didn't say. Felt pretty dope to just ghost-dog away from the whole thing.

There's much more power in who you don't kill than who you do.

I only killed once in cold blood... I hunted him for 15 minutes... then killed him... the other times were so fast... i couldn't take the chance..As i have a bandit skin..