Sign in to follow this  
Kerbo

Close encounter of the third kind?

I saw and experienced something in DayZ today that was very strange. While crouch running North through the woods NW of Cherno I happened to see a tree fall over about 250m ahead of me. I immediately stopped and hid in a bush because that was weird. I didn't even know trees could fall over in Dayz. Looking through binocs I could see several trees were laying down in the area where I saw the tree fall. I watched for a few minutes, looking for player activity but saw nothing.

Angling away from where I saw the tree fall over I continued on my way but kept an eye on the area. Suddenly with no warning or sound my screen went black and white and blurry (like when you get shot) for a second and I thought I had been sniped. But I wasn't bleeding and had in fact lost no blood. I still ran like hell! I zigged and zagged all over while running away but never heard or saw anything. After getting half a km away or so I hid in a bush and watched my back trail for 5 minutes. Never saw a thing.

What in the world was that? A game engine glitch? Do trees randomly fall over sometimes?

Simulated earth quake its very rare.

They say there is some kind of a forrest yeti roaming the woods. It hasn't been seen yet, you find his trail, just like you describe and if its night and you really sit still deep in the woods you can hear him...

could have been a player driving a vehicle through the area.

maybe some guy in ural spotted you and started shooting at you but missed?

Could have been a satchel charge, or some other manner of hacked in explosive.

These are possible but I saw nothing at all and was looking right at the fallen tree and the surrounding area for several minutes.

were you within 1km from Green Mountain?

No, I was quite far from Green Mountain.

post-48766-0-96169500-1343159371_thumb.p

You need to stay away from Green Mountain. People who go to near there are sometimes never heard from again.

Invisibility script? Did you hear anything? Engine etc?

I heard nothing but my own player and ambient forest sounds. I'm going to chalk this up to invisible hackers I think.