Sign in to follow this  
kamajutsu

Hackers are ruining the game

I have been reading posts here and there on hackers, and have chuckled lightly to myself every time I glance over it.

"What hackers?" I ask rhetorically...

But after a week or two away from DayZ (I was off on some travels), I returned to the game with much excitement and optimism, to resume my character I have spent a lot of time on.

Within an hour, the entire server gets teleported to a debug area. "Ah...it's just a bug. sigh. no biggie," I thought to myself.

All of a sudden everybody is huddled together on an island...except we're all cows. That's right, cows. Out of nowhere, the entire server (40+ ppl) gets wiped out. Killed.

The comms erupted in a frenzy of expletives and cursing. "It's that hacker again! This is the 3rd time tonight!" I hear in amazement.

So I suck it up...try to ignore it, and hop to a completely different server.

After an hour or so of playing, and finding most of my essential tools and a decent primary weapon, suddenly I am teleported again. This time, the entire server appears on a rooftop somewhere.

"Don't shoot!" says everyone to each other, as we stand face to face with the entire server of 40+ players on the rooftop. Everyone stays still, respectably.

BAM. It happens again. The entire server suddenly hits the ground, dead. "It's another hacker." says one person, with the rest of the server sighing in regretful agreement.

What is happening to this game? I'm not talking about someone hacking God Mode or some non-game weapon...We are talking about something killing the entire server over and over for fun. How is this possible, and why is this happening on such a large scale (at least, the servers that I frequent)

They're looking into it. See below.

this email is to inform you about a recently discovered texture exploit on all servers.

We suggest that you remove the following line from your server.cfg file:

regularCheck = "";

However, removal of this line will cause regular integrity checks to compare client's files to the server files, which in turn causes greater disk IO usage. This overall could lead to lower FPS performance on servers, but it should be noted that be leaving this line in the server is vulnerable to the texture exploit.

Don't they ruin every game? You think it's bad in Dayz? You should see the state of the Modern Warfare community, the Source-engine based game community, and the Nintendo Wii online communities. 1/3 games has a hacker. Hacking software is so prolific it's difficult to stop.

At the moment it's a real problem. I almost never die to hackers, debug plains guys have got me a few times though.

What I do is join the server and wait in the lobby - if there's no obvious hacker killspam I join.

Anything happens out of the ordinary (crazy sounds, teleport, obvious deathspam/screaming, realise I'm shooting at an apache) I go straight away and hit escape followed by Alt-F4. (Interested to see how this plays out over the next patch)

The reasoning behind this is simply that my save state is currently not recorded, so my character effectively rolls back. You have to be quick to beat the save on death or next scheduled autosave.

And yes you're damn right I Alt-F4 if I spot a hacker.

Edited by Rogan

1/3 games has a hacker.

Yes I agree, and DayZ definitely isn't immune to hackers. I've just noticed that it's so widespread on the servers I frequent, that I can't actually play the game anymore.

Like i said above, these hacks are so extreme, that someone is mass killing the entire servers over and over every hour

I love how we either have to choose shit performance or losing our chars to 11 year old pimply faced faggots on their parents PCs, hackin it up.

• Like 1

Yes I agree, and DayZ definitely isn't immune to hackers. I've just noticed that it's so widespread on the servers I frequent, that I can't actually play the game anymore.

Like i said above, these hacks are so extreme, that someone is mass killing the entire servers over and over every hour

Trust me it's not extreme. There are worse hacks out there rather than just nuking everyone.

Hacking is simply a result of poor social life/self-esteem. They are so angsty at the world and think that if they ruin other people's days it will make their own life better, which it doesn't. I just ignore it and remember I'm a better person for not having to hack in a video game to have 'fun'.

Edited by xJakeyy
  • Like 2

Not all hackers are morons. Some actually improve the game but this is probably a very small percentage.

They'll continue to do mass kills as long as people get upset. They're doing it for the lulz and to troll. These morons will move on to the next game soon enough but for now we're going to have to deal with a lot of idiots.

Hacking is simply a result of poor social life/self-esteem. They are so angsty at the world and think that if they ruin other people's days it will make their own life better, which it doesn't. I just ignore it and remember I'm a better person for not having to hack in a video game to have 'fun'.

That's a poor generalization.

Everything you enjoy on the internet is thanks to hackers. At one point the term "hackers" wasn't a bad word. Besides, these are script kiddies, not hackers. Even that isn't accurate as all they've done is download a program.

if people want to spend £30 pound a day to hack items into the game, so be it. if anything they would just be out off pocket at the end off it. granted it can be annoying to be killed by a hacker, but they have no more power than someone with say a winchester. its all about who gets the first hit. all they are doing is paying the £30 to get end game gear such as NVG and snipers.

not saying im on the hackers side just that they are not a big problem like everyone says.

if people want to spend £30 pound a day to hack items into the game, so be it. if anything they would just be out off pocket at the end off it. granted it can be annoying to be killed by a hacker, but they have no more power than someone with say a winchester. its all about who gets the first hit. all they are doing is paying the £30 to get end game gear such as NVG and snipers.

not saying im on the hackers side just that they are not a big problem like everyone says.

Not really. A guy with a winchester cannot teleport you into the middle of nowhere and then drop a bus on your head. And they're not spending that kind of money to get these programs.

Everything you enjoy on the internet is thanks to hackers.

Yeah, not really..

if people want to spend £30 pound a day to hack items into the game, so be it.

You didn't read what I was emphasizing on. I said I don't care about hacked items and weapons. I'm talking about someone teleporting the entire server to an island and hitting a kill button to kill the entire server every hour.

The servers you frequent may not have these types of hackers, but it's too general to say "they are not a big problem". that was the point of my post - to state that on my batch of servers, it is FULL of hackers altering the maps and teleporting people to kill them

These are the types of hacks being offered, and being supported by entire communities of people -

• BattlEye Script bypass
  • Execute any script you want (SQF, SQS and more)
  • God mode
  • Show all players on the map
  • Give yourself guns
  • Full health hotkey
  • Teleport
  • Spawn a vehicle (WILL NOT EXPLODE)
  • Break server update
  • Spawn a bodyguard
  • Teleport server
  • Mass kill

The game's security isn't helped when the game and Battleye don't encrypt transactions between the game and the client.

This shit isn't new... It's been going on since Battlefield 1942 and Counterstrike almost 10 years ago.

It's due to the retarded game developers relying too much on client side filtering. World of Tanks is a great model, they don't transmit info where the game physics don't warrant.