Sign in to follow this  
xPandaHunterx

So... are crossbow bolts not retrievable?

Brand new game today, and I started at cherno. Found some damn good loot including:

-Equipment (map, binoculars, watch, toolkit, etc.)

-Alice Pack

-AK with Kobra sight (is this any good? I haven't fired it yet).

I then came across a dead body (I didn't kill him, I swear) which had a crossbow on its back. I always hoard up bolts just in case (although I have never found a bow before). I left Cherno and now, I'm heading north hoping to find a military base (but I have no idea where I am).

Anyway, while escaping Cherno, I agro'd a couple of zombies, and I ran into the fire station hoping to loose them. I decided to try out my new crossbow on them, and I took them down pretty quick. My question is this - When I went to loot the bodies, they didn't have crossbow bolts to take. Is this a glitch? Are bolts one-time fires? I would think that, with such limited ammo, they would be retrievable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 1

They are retrievable, but they glitch through walls and such-like so it's a bit hit and miss.

Keep looking in the barns if you run short.

• Like 1

Bolts on the bodies won't appear in the gear menu. You have to find them on the body with your crosshair and mouse over them to get the option to pickup the bolt.

• Like 1

You have to search real hard on the bodies to find the actual bolt. Sometimes goin prone and glitching through the body helped me find em. You have to use "Take 1 bolt on the actual bolt not the body". But 1 slot for 1 bolt is too few I would suggest replacing that crossbow until something like a quiver can be implemented.

Edited by Donmen
  • Like 1

It's nearly impossible to retrieve a bolt if you missed. If you hit the Zombie it is quite easy to find it again but still then there are some situations in which you won't be able to retrieve the bolt from the dead body. Sometimes the zombies are falling onto the bolt so you won't see it. I was really excited about the crossbow at first but now I even prefer a flashlight xD it's so much work to retrieve your bolts all the time :/

Oh I see - instead of being in the gear menu, it's an option in the mouse scroll wheel?

Well damn, I wasted two bolts back in Cherno. I'm much to far out now to go back and get them. Oh well, I still have 3 left.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by xPandaHunterx

Try and hit the zombie on the arm - I found it's the easiest spot to notice the bolt when trying to retrieve it.

You need to move your crosshairs over the bolt - even if you can't see it because it's under the body or inside it, you'll get the option to retrieve bolt.

I think right now they are actually bugged. I shot multiple bolts into zombies and into the trees in the editor, and they disappear on the impact. I remember being able to pick up the bolt from a tree if you hit it, it would stick out and you could mouse over it.

Right now, it leaves a hit mark on the tree, but no physical bolt is left. Same with the zombies.

I think its bugged, as I haven't been able to retrieve a single bolt since the few latest patches.

Brand new game today, and I started at cherno. Found some damn good loot including:

-Equipment (map, binoculars, watch, toolkit, etc.)

-Alice Pack

-AK with Kobra sight (is this any good? I haven't fired it yet).

I then came across a dead body (I didn't kill him, I swear) which had a crossbow on its back. I always hoard up bolts just in case (although I have never found a bow before). I left Cherno and now, I'm heading north hoping to find a military base (but I have no idea where I am).

Anyway, while escaping Cherno, I agro'd a couple of zombies, and I ran into the fire station hoping to loose them. I decided to try out my new crossbow on them, and I took them down pretty quick. My question is this - When I went to loot the bodies, they didn't have crossbow bolts to take. Is this a glitch? Are bolts one-time fires? I would think that, with such limited ammo, they would be retrievable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

As of now, you cannot retrieve crossbow bolts. In the game, they fire and travel ballistically as do the other projectiles, but they are coded as a "projectile" and thus are expended when you use them.

Also, you mentioned that you don't know where you are. My biggest tip to ALL newer players is GET A MAP! lol

Not in game, but print one out or in the background. Learn to use countour lines, landmarks and road signs to navigate and you will always know where you are.

Here is the good map. It also has all the loot spawns, vehicle spawns and info on each.

http://dayzdb.com/map#4.085.067

Enjoy!

You actually CAN retrieve crossbow bolts from zombies you hit. Scroll mouse and click hide body on the zombie you just shot. The bolt will be lying on the ground to be picked up.

can u retrieve bolts if you miss with crossbow like off the ground

Yes, unless the recent patch changed that.