Hello i have been having some occasional fps lag problems every now and then, and i know from other people that im not alone in this.

Before you say "arma 2 is very hard on your system/cpu", alot of people have really good rigs and are still getting lag, it is most likely some kinda glitch or bad code. But in this thread i want to try and find a workaround to improve the FPS, instead of just giving up at "its a very demanding game".

I will try to provide as much information as possible, so we can avoid alot of pointless questioning and answering.

My Rig:

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850HXEU

CPU: Intel® Core i7 960 3,2 ghz

GPU: ASUS Geforce GTX560 Ti DirectCUII Top Overglocked

HDD: Seagate 1,5TB ( 7200 RPM i think)

RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR 1600 Mhz

Of course GPU Drivers are always up to date.

I run and update date through Six Software (launcher and updater)

It seems it doesnt really matter what kind of setting i run the game on (only exceptions are post processing is turned off and HDR is on Normal). If i do all the textures and shadows and everything on very high it will lag all the same as when i turn it all to low. The funny thing is that it only really lags in the cities and occasionally in big fieldds. Otherwise it runs smoothly at very high, but usually its the area's where ur likely to get some action, like starry sobor and cherno /elektro or the NW airfield where i lag a whole lot, so much that i tend to just logoff cause if i meet a player with that lag i wont be able to even fire an accurate shot. so before i see anyone i just run off and logoff(this also seems to fix it sometimes.)

Another scenario is that im in cherno or a major place and its starts lagging i logoff and restart my pc and login again and its runs smoothly on whatever settings i want, but slowly it looses fps and after about an hour its just as laggy as it was before.

Anyway i dont know what i should do to try and fix this.

Thanks to anyone who come with constructive and positive responses. Pointless responses that doesnt really add anything to the thread is frowned upon :(

I apologize for grammatical and spelling mistakes/errors

Much of the information below is something i found other places and just rewrote or straight out copied into the thread

Improvement Tips (i update this when i find something new):

Sometimes, it is not your computers fault. some server are not regularly restarted, which can result in lag and fps issues for everyone

- Turn Post-Processing Off

- Turn Anti-antialiasing and anisotropic filtering to Low

- Set Video memory to defualt if your graphics har has more than 512 mb memory

Launch Options:

There is an "Options" link in the bottom left hand side of Six Launche

-exThreads=7

Ensures that ARMA 2 uses # amount of CPU threads, where # is the number of extra threads you want to devote to the game. Note: A CPU thread is equal to one processor core. So if you have a Quad Core AMD, you could put "3" as your #. If you have an i5/i7 quad with hyperthreading, you can put "7" as your #.

~Snoozles

Edited by Snoozles
  • Like 2

I'm running on a piece of shit laptop and I experience the exact same thing (with the exception that all my settings are on the lowest).

A fix for this would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

Apparently it's to do with object cleanup, apparently it's bugged and not working properly and causes lots of fps issues in places like cherno/electro when you are there for extended periods of time.

Apparently it's to do with object cleanup, apparently it's bugged and not working properly and causes lots of fps issues in places like cherno/electro when you are there for extended periods of time.

That would actully make alot of sense, since the more objects the game have to load spend rescources on the more demanding the game is. If the game is incapable of removing objects from the game again, then the need of rescources is just going to build up continously, until a point where the game should actully crash. Its the same problem i've had with some flash games i've been programming. If u keep adding AI's and strings of code but nothing removes it then the requirements just keep rising live :(

Could also be something else, lets hope someone can figure it out for us :P

I've been having the same issues, my computer is fairly good and can run arma on highest graphics, but when i get into the game i can play for about 5 minutes, and then i get a 2 minute lasting fps drop which makes me unable to do anything at all, and after 2 minutes the game goes back to normal and i can play for another 5 minutes. It's god damn annoying.

I've been having the same issues, my computer is fairly good and can run arma on highest graphics, but when i get into the game i can play for about 5 minutes, and then i get a 2 minute lasting fps drop which makes me unable to do anything at all, and after 2 minutes the game goes back to normal and i can play for another 5 minutes. It's god damn annoying.

It sounds like something i've experienced. Unfortunately no idea how to fix it

yeah its a real issue espicaly for people who are playing at lower framerates suddenly have a slideshow once there in a town lol.

sadly i think the only fix for this is to wait for new dayz updates though you could always play on US35 i know for a fact they restart the server atlest every 4 hours to keep things more clean ^_^

yeah its a real issue espicaly for people who are playing at lower framerates suddenly have a slideshow once there in a town lol.

sadly i think the only fix for this is to wait for new dayz updates though you could always play on US35 i know for a fact they restart the server atlest every 4 hours to keep things more clean ^_^

True but im from EU so i would lag terribly there probably

I've got a Crosshair V, AMD 8150 (Overclocked) 8GB DDR3.. AND a GTX 670 with Arma running on my SSD and I get a lag spike every 1 or 2 steps I take.. makes no real difference on what server I play on or where I am which is starting to put me off the game :(

True but im from EU so i would lag terribly there probably

ah we have a few EU players in our clan that dont report to much of an issue

any fix yet??

Nothing as of yet... I think it's just an effect of having a MASSIVE mod built around an even bigger game... I hate the lag, but since there's a Standalone on it's way I'm content with accepting it.

I just thought I would post here before I Send back my card, Ill list my system specks below.

CPU - AMD Athlon II X4 635 2.9 GHz

GPU - GTX 670 Reference card from Nvidia

3 Hard Drives

1 - Windows OS - 250 GB 7200 RPM

2 - Game Drive - 300 GB 7200 RPM

3 - Recording Drive - 300 GB 7200 RPM

8 GB of RAM Kingston HyperX

600 Watt Power Supply

Antec 900 PC Case, More than enough ventilation.

Yet I still do not know the cause of my FPS problems, It isnt just in ArmA 2, OA, DayZ. It is in almost every game I play.

Please post help if you have any help.

And another thing, When ever I go into MSI Afterburner it says my core clock speed is 314. And I am pretty sure that the 670 Ships at 915 MHz. Just something I should look into? Or is the card a bust..

Edited by FNVtipsandtricks

7d35e718b78f64f95a096a842f59bb78.png?1347330327

Also I think there is something wrong here. It says my GPU usage at the MAX is only at 46%... Shouldn't it be alot higher?

Edited by FNVtipsandtricks

I doubt this will apply at all, but after buying an extra fan to cool my laptop all fps drop problems left me. Good luck with finding the cause of the problem.

• Like 1

Yeah I have extreme lag issues even using it on normal settings and low filtering on single player. My specs are

16 GB RAM

1 GB radeon HD 7770 DDR3? (trying to remember everything but I might mix up some things)

MSI military class mainboard

AMD 8 core 4.0 ghz processor

win 7 64 bit (obviously)

And like I said, I have extreme lag issues. And if I remember correctly the optimal system requirements are dual core 3.2 ghz and 512 mb video card memory and that's for recommended.