Sign in to follow this  
gizm0

civil discussion about PVP

So I figured with all the whining going on about bandits and player killing and griefing, it would be time to have an actual civil discussion about PVP, its affects on players in and out of game, as well as how it affects the player base, how players interact with one another, and what is and isn't a hostile action.

Please note this thread isn't in anyway meant to be about getting rid of PVP but merely have a civil discussion about pvp and related subjects.

So to start of I'm gonna ask a simple question, what is and isn't a hostile act?

So to start of I'm gonna ask a simple question, what is and isn't a hostile act?

To me, gun pointed ANYWHERE near me. If your gun is not down, I'll probably shoot you.

Not responding to my text is also me killing anyone around me on sight. No response = wants to kill me.

However, the point is moot, because sometimes a hostile action in the eyes of others is being detected, or having a nice gun. So... ease your weapon and respond, and you'll still get shot in the face quite often.

Shooting people is hostile.

Made into sig.

Edited by Jurisnoctis
  • Like 3

If I can see you, I take it as a hostile threat that could possibly endanger me.

well I kinda wanted to get away from the whining, :P as well as that should of been re-sticked/pinned cause I tried an old link to it, and got an error so I thought it had been deleted in the forum update. :(

Being near me.

I mean how is that directly hostile towards you? if you don't know their intention and that fact that direct chat only has a max range of 80m.

another question has been brought to my mind by your response is that if being near you is a hostile action, how can they signal or communicate to you, that they mean no harm, without talking?

Edited by Orthus

A lot of the people just kill you to be a dick, or they are paranoid and think you will kill them first. Just today I saw a guy, asked if he was friendly and all he had was a hatchet, he started attacking me on sight, it makes me sick thinking about how the DayZ community has gone to shit.

Approaching me is a hostile action.

If you're unaware enough to not use voice to acknowledge a player from cover by already knowing their position, you're not competent enough to contribute anything to survival.

What I find most remarkable is that players don't even think there's a possibility of them being flanked. I've been in situations where I've been seriously outgunned (granted, having a lee enfield is just a RoF issue, not a damage problem), and by simply saying "give me a moment" and moving around and flanking them has been enough to land the kills.

Players will literally threaten you with violence, and not watch their backs.

This is why any approach is hostile - you will get me killed if I play with you, even if you have worthwhile intentions.

That and I don't care, and will shoot you anyway.

Sorry. Civil discussion is not allowed on this forum.....gonna have to take it somewhere else.

• Like 1

Ill just shoot you unless you're unarmed or walking away from me. But then ill still probably shoot you.

well I kinda wanted to get away from the whining, :P as well as that should of been re-sticked/pinned cause I tried an old link to it, and got an error so I thought it had been deleted in the forum update. :(

I mean how is that directly hostile towards you? if you don't know their intention and that fact that direct chat only has a max range of 80m.

fair enough. i think hostile is killing, shooting in your direction, or pointing guns when i don't know you. not replying in the five seconds i give you is also hostile to me.

whats hostile? you don't want someone to come near you so you fire a warning shot, now they think you want to kill them. you try to signal/wave your friendly, they think its a trick. you see another player and you both think the same thing, its him or me.

everyone/thing is hostile.

All my kills have been "justified". Some guy trying to take our car, someone who killed my buddy. but there was this one guy at the NW airfield Skunk or something, he was crawling outside the barracks so I fired a single shot from my 1911 and he started screaming friendly! friendly! so I instictively finished my clip into him as he screamed NO NO NO NO NO. I feel like an ass, but I didn't die that day. Blind trust isn't enough for team building. the thing about pvp is... me killing that guy was one thing for survival, sitting in elektro/cherno killing noobs because your a little bitch is another.

best teambuilding I've done is actually as a noob with other noobs without weapons. throw a gun in the mix and someone goes crazy with power.

• Like 1

My opinion is that the Survivors are the cause of all the shenanigans happening in todays DayZ ...

Alot of stuff would not need to happen if survivors did not behave the way thay currently do.

And yes I am talking about survivors, not bandits. Now let me develope my thoughts.

Sure, this Mod has become popular, and it is really sad that alot if not all of the new players, do not play Arma 2 ...

Now, as this game has become so popular, it attracts all kinds of people, a majority of them being "CoD Kiddies", the very ones you hear yelling over voip, the very ones who made the CoD Community such a shit hole ...

I am not here to trash CoD, even tho imo, it went down hill from CoD 4 (Promod). But I am just setting the global mentality of most of these new arrivals.

You will alwys find scumbags who do not want to play the game as it was intended. Those people ruin the image of banditry, however thay still remain a minority, as most of them do not last long in this relativly hardcore game ... because what thay are used to and want is "Easy stuff", like in CoD ... Thay will end up leaving the game.

Now, why is it the fault of those who call themselves "Survivors", may I point out, you don't see Bandits coming to the forums to complain ...

Well, Survivors are for most, subject to greed, therefor thay will constantly go for more & better gear ... doing so, thay are painting huge red flashy "Kill me, I got good loot" targets on their backs ... and well, thay become paranoid, thay do not want to lose their gear, gear thay took DayZ to get ...

And, being so scared of losing their stuff, thay tend to Alt F4 to avoid death ... and shoot others on sight just to make sure those other people don't kill them for the loot.

The issue is that, Bandits, can no longer Rob people, cause when thay try, the "Survivors" either Alt F4, or shoot.

Sure, fighting back is one of the awsome interractions that can occure during a robbery, I love it myself when the person I try to rob puts up a fight.

But because nearly 99% of the people Alt F4, bandits can no longer rob, so thay end up shooing first then, well you know ...

So, is it the fault of the Bandits ?

Not really, sure there are morons who will do what thay want, but don't let a minority kill the game for the others.

PVP is needed for this game to remain intresting, without the fear of death, there is no reason to play.

I love DayZ, because it is so far the ONLY game / mod that gives me such adrenaline rushes, it's the only game that gets my hands shaking when I meet another player.

Help us save banditry, stop Abusing the game.

Death is part of the game, and believe me, starting fresh is equally fun, if not more.

Have fun & play fair.

All the issues around DayZ's player interactions stem from the fact that there was ever something besides a survivor. The existence of 'others' who had free reign to kill, and were marked for death to survivors, started a death spiral of becoming a bandit in the process of protecting one's self, getting shot by survivors, and finally being fed up and shooting everyone on sight as there was nothing to lose anymore. Spawning with weapons, the inability to holster sidearms, and the weakness of zombies certainly didn't/don't help.

were all survivors we all just go at surviving in different ways bandits are still survivors they may feel that killing other players might be the only way they feel safe

in my personal experience i feel that zombies are not a threat and killing other players feels more satisfying

another question has been brought to my mind by your response is that if being near you is a hostile action, how can they signal or communicate to you, that they mean no harm, without talking?

ive come to far to lose everything i kill on sight because ive seen one friendly for as long as ive played

ive come to far to lose everything i kill on sight because ive seen one friendly for as long as ive played

Exactly what I have stated in my answer. It's human nature.

I just wrote pretty much the same thing elsewhere but here goes.

I don't kill anyone unless they shoot me. And even then I usually fail miserably trying to defend myself.

I recently gathered quite a good gear and ended up dying in Novy Sobor. I felt relieved. I was back on the beach and actually enjoyed the game again for many days.

I tried to approach a few players and got killed. I didn't have a gun or hatchet, I was just scavenging. But I felt this was more fun than being paranoid and afraid of losing "everything". I hope one of these days I'll meet another player who doesn't shoot me and maybe have a small adventure with him/her.

If the endgame is supposed to be player interaction in the form of PvP, I would gladly stay on the beach and try to find people who would rather PvE with me.

Because that's how I roll :)