Sign in to follow this  
sidewinder_102

Why I kill.

Guys this is a realism zombie apocalypse mod, and the only decent one out there as far as I know. While I do not try to go out of my way to kill someone I have indeed murdered a few people playing this game. And have been murdered myself. The aspect of people killing others for their items in a zombie apocalypse has been in cinema for quite some time now. If anything this brings the aspect of having to watch your back and not being able to trust people even more exhilarating.

While this is true I do agree that being able to trust some people would be nice it just isn't there among the random strangers. At some point they are either going to shoot you and take your things, or when you maybe end up setting up a camp with them they stop playing, die, or take the good stuff and run off. This is why bringing your own friends into the game is much better. You don't get on this game in the beginning assuming that all the players are going to be kind to you. If you do that in any game you are in for a rather unpleasant surprise. In fact, I hope you die quickly so you can figure out "hey I should be weary approaching other players". Everyone who argues that pvp should be taken out of the Day Z mod I've come to the conclusion that they are upset about something that has happened recently or that they can't take the environment the game sets up.

My solution is that they make non pvp servers for people who want to play as Mr. Sidewinder_102 said grab ass (like that btw :3 ) and their gear stays on that server so they can't loot up and then go people hunting. I feel as well that these servers will get boring (as of now) because the zombie spawn and detection coding in this game is still pretty buggy as during certain times you can run through cherno and electro without so much as a single zombie chasing you. Where at other times if you run inside a house your sound output is at five bars and you bring in a ton. There's just not a lot of things to do in my eyes after you've gathered all your items, set up camp, and gotten a vehicle. If you can elaborate on it please do. And don't say "go help others" because that's a given. And please, let me know how that works out for you when Jonny lumberjack with his trusty hatchet takes your shiny M4A3 and your other pretties in Cherno and runs off to tell his buddies about the poor bastard who came up to him and said "Want some beans guy :D"

P.S. this isn't intended to insult or provoke anyone, I'm just stating how I see things going in this.

Edited by Psycho360

I don't do certain things for the recognition, but to each their own I suppose. I also don't expect my murder victims to give me recgnition, i mean if cred is what you want then you should seriously consider streaming, you will get recognition that's for sure. And to be fair having re-read my original post i did sound a bit harsh, and I cant fault you for enjoying the thrill of the hunt and kill being a bandit myself. It's just sounded weird that you feel the need to show how good you are, and listed that as your most important reason.

I will admit that specifically in the case of dayz, there is little recognition besides the occasional congratulations from a friend. I do, however, know that a part of the reason why a lot of people rage when they die is because not only did they lose their stuff, but something in the back of their head is telling them that someone bested them. I don't need them to actually approach me and tell me how awesome I am for killing them, I assume they admit that they fucked up somewhere. I suppose to some extent my recognition is imaginary in that I assume their reaction, sportsmanly or not, is affirmation of my victory.

people have loot, i want loot, plus i see every player a threat so i take them out, threat gone i get beans.

pvp makes the game fun, makes raiding airfields and towns scarey and also makes you want to play at night time with less populated servers but risk of being killed by ninja zombies.

• Like 1

Guys this is a realism zombie apocalypse mod, and the only decent one out there as far as I know. While I do not try to go out of my way to kill someone I have indeed murdered a few people playing this game. And have been murdered myself. The aspect of people killing others for their items in a zombie apocalypse has been in cinema for quite some time now. If anything this brings the aspect of having to watch your back and not being able to trust people even more exhilarating.

While this is true I do agree that being able to trust some people would be nice it just isn't there among the random strangers. At some point they are either going to shoot you and take your things, or when you maybe end up setting up a camp with them they stop playing, die, or take the good stuff and run off. This is why bringing your own friends into the game is much better. You don't get on this game in the beginning assuming that all the players are going to be kind to you. If you do that in any game you are in for a rather unpleasant surprise. In fact, I hope you die quickly so you can figure out "hey I should be weary approaching other players". Everyone who argues that pvp should be taken out of the Day Z mod I've come to the conclusion that they are upset about something that has happened recently or that they can't take the environment the game sets up.

My solution is that they make non pvp servers for people who want to play as Mr. Sidewinder_102 said grab ass (like that btw :3 ) and their gear stays on that server so they can't loot up and then go people hunting. I feel as well that these servers will get boring (as of now) because the zombie spawn and detection coding in this game is still pretty buggy as during certain times you can run through cherno and electro without so much as a single zombie chasing you. Where at other times if you run inside a house your sound output is at five bars and you bring in a ton. There's just not a lot of things to do in my eyes after you've gathered all your items, set up camp, and gotten a vehicle. If you can elaborate on it please do. And don't say "go help others" because that's a given. And please, let me know how that works out for you when Jonny lumberjack with his trusty hatchet takes your shiny M4A3 and your other pretties in Cherno and runs off to tell his buddies about the poor bastard who came up to him and said "Want some beans guy :D"

P.S. this isn't intended to insult or provoke anyone, I'm just stating how I see things going in this.

Your idea about pvp and coop servers is not something I agree with. I think right now the paranoia of friend or foe, the real threat of friendly fire, and other elements of a game completely without those restrictions adds so much to this game. Making someones progress separate in pvp and coop won't fix the damage that will do to this game's social aspect. The coop servers would be a bunch of people with great gear helping people with no gear get great gear really easily. The pvp servers would be far more hostile than things are already because everyone playing in them would know exactly why everyone else is.

I want helpers and teams and cooperative play in my dayz. I want coastal snipers and makarov maniacs. I want people to be unsure of eachother. I want the range of behaviors. It creates a very interesting and fun environment to play in.

If I kill any kind of player, they made a mistake somewhere. The helper wasn't looking out for himself or his helped well enough, the coastal sniper was just sitting in that same damn bush for the last 3 times he decided to fire, the makarov maniac should have been more quiet, and that other player like me should have had a friend to watch his ass or make me think twice about engaging.

I've had the game for about a week and half, I tried to help out a guy that ran past me bleeding.. I went into the room he ran into for then me to realise he was charging back to me with a hatchet. I died :P

So now if i see some 1 I tend to be ready to kill :)

I started playing as most, find stuff and survive, I too got bored. If my RL nature affected me it was to help people.

But after a while I too got bored of that (I still help when I can) I now Find camps because I dont like hoarders (I have found some great kit) I destroy the camps and litter areas with high grade stuff. Next month I may find another style due to boredom, vehicle orientated? Sniper? Bandit? cold blooded killer?. I may get bored of my playing style again but DayZ offers so many other playing styles so I (We!!) won't be getting bored anyime soon.

Iv'e had Johnny Lumberjack attack and KILL me many times and it was a great method of Killing (just like knifers in other games - pain in the arse) but I realise it's a game, and starting out again with nothing is the main challenge of the game for me.

I've had all the Gucci kit and lost it to other players and got so frustrated I wanted to slot the nearest player I met. But I have also met other players who don't KOS, and had so much fun teaming up with them (there are loads, don't believe the hype)

Iv'e seen the films and read the books and yes I understand the points in them, But human history is full of Disasters and people get together and help eachother. I believe it's called civilised behaviour.

I would love to be in a team but I can't Commit to meeting times and places due to my Hectic RL (Shame as I used to make it my main goal to team up and work as part of a team) Maybe one day when we have the final product I might make the effort.

Agree each to his / her own.

• Like 1

Your idea about pvp and coop servers is not something I agree with. I think right now the paranoia of friend or foe, the real threat of friendly fire, and other elements of a game completely without those restrictions adds so much to this game.

I know what you mean, What I said really doesn't make any sense. Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that as I agree with your points. If people want a game where they survive the apocalypse together with people, they have those. Play some L4D or Dead Island. They may not be as good, but this game is meant to have the aspects it has. If there wasn't PVP in this I think it would be far less entertaining.

Your idea about pvp and coop servers is not something I agree with. I think right now the paranoia of friend or foe, the real threat of friendly fire, and other elements of a game completely without those restrictions adds so much to this game. Making someones progress separate in pvp and coop won't fix the damage that will do to this game's social aspect. The coop servers would be a bunch of people with great gear helping people with no gear get great gear really easily. The pvp servers would be far more hostile than things are already because everyone playing in them would know exactly why everyone else is.

I want helpers and teams and cooperative play in my dayz. I want coastal snipers and makarov maniacs. I want people to be unsure of eachother. I want the range of behaviors. It creates a very interesting and fun environment to play in.

If I kill any kind of player, they made a mistake somewhere. The helper wasn't looking out for himself or his helped well enough, the coastal sniper was just sitting in that same damn bush for the last 3 times he decided to fire, the makarov maniac should have been more quiet, and that other player like me should have had a friend to watch his ass or make me think twice about engaging.

What about medics or generally nice people who try to talk to players, they see? as of right now the unsure nature is kinda clouded by the backwater logic if i don't shoot he will kill me so I must kill him first.

and what I fear the most is that even after more options are added to keep people busy, is that the KOS playstyle will still be a very dominate and widely used playstyle(no matter how they rationalize it)

Edited by Orthus

Why shoot people when you can take away the zombies near them, drag them to safety, bandage/feed/help them, and have that sweet, sweet nectar feeling when they thank you? I usually don't use epi-pens, as then they have the opportunity to shoot me in the face. I'm getting a bit side tracked.

You're a strange man, OP. Also, only 2/5 of these reasons are valid. Use your common sense to figure which ones they are.

"Thank you"?

You think most people will just "thank you"?

You've got something coming if you mentality is like that.

I feel that if you can help people by all means go for it. I have on occasion helped a soul or two as well, and I don't deny the fact that people are willing to help, but in my experience there have been many more people who see that I have something when they have nothing and have gone with the shoot first ask questions later aspect of the game. I don't like shooting someone running with the makarov or hatchet, but frankly if they see me and are getting ready to take their chance to kill me I won't let them.

On one specific occasion I was with two random guys in electro and they had nothing, I had an AKM and an M16A1 that I was preparing to give my friend when he met up with me. I directed the two fellows to some hatchets over chat and sure enough right outside of electro while my buddy was coming for us one of the fellows takes a swing at me. He missed and I gunned him down, his friend proceeded to do the same and followed suit. My experience has led me to the point of no salvation for the players of this game and I would only be willing to trade/team if nothing were at risk for my current character. Which thus far, doesn't seem to happen short of spawning on the beach.

What about medics or generally nice people who try to talk to players, they see? as of right now the unsure nature is kinda clouded by the backwater logic if i don't shoot he will kill me so I must kill him first.

and what I fear the most is that even after more options are added to keep people busy, is that the KOS playstyle will still be a very dominate and widely used playstyle(no matter how they rationalize it)

You have a good point that currently the community is very aggressive and that takes away from the friend or foe question, labeling most people as foe. I think the best way to curb that is to curb the hacking going on. I think when a lot of the exploits and cheats are dealt with the community will be a lot more calm because people won't be killed as cheaply and people won't feel like they have to compete with abusers. Also, things will be more scarce because the hacking won't be inflating the loot economy so people will be less dangerous and less willing to fight. In some cases the reverse will be true, where there will be desperation killings or the scarcity of stuffs will cause more aggressive competition. I think for the most part, though, when the cheating is limited the community will get friendlier.